ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
2 month up date!!

Unfortunately there's not a great deal to report. Progress on the car has been minimal recently but the outside of the shell has now been painted and various bits and bobs have been refitted.
I also got my suspension, ill post up some pictures next week ;)

The Mrs and I have been concentrating on trying to find a house and after countless searching and numerous viewings on various different places, we had our offer accepted on a small cottage on Friday :D
It needs some work and currently has no garage, so for the next few months I doubt there will be much if any progress on this as the current workshop is about 40 miles away :dapprove:

However, it's got a big garden so I now have the chance to build a proper garage the way I want it. As soon as we get the keys I'll start working on the garage. Ideally I'd like to get it built before the winter and get the car and all my tools etc moved.

In light of this, the car isn't going to be ready for the start of next season, but at the moment I'd say there's still a chance of getting it done before the end of the season.
One way or another it will get finished!!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
2 month up date!!

Unfortunately there's not a great deal to report. Progress on the car has been minimal recently but the outside of the shell has now been painted and various bits and bobs have been refitted.
I also got my suspension, ill post up some pictures next week ;)

The Mrs and I have been concentrating on trying to find a house and after countless searching and numerous viewings on various different places, we had our offer accepted on a small cottage on Friday :D
It needs some work and currently has no garage, so for the next few months I doubt there will be much if any progress on this as the current workshop is about 40 miles away :dapprove:

However, it's got a big garden so I now have the chance to build a proper garage the way I want it. As soon as we get the keys I'll start working on the garage. Ideally I'd like to get it built before the winter and get the car and all my tools etc moved.

In light of this, the car isn't going to be ready for the start of next season, but at the moment I'd say there's still a chance of getting it done before the end of the season.
One way or another it will get finished!!

Excellent news on the house Kenny! Disappointing news on the lack of suspension pictures though! Lol! I like the way your going to concentrate on getting the garage built before doing any work inside the house though!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers!

The Mrs has said that she would rather I got the garage build first! Not going to argue lol But it does actually make some sense, having a workshop means doing work on the house will be easier and it also means I won't be travelling back to my old workshop all the time and having tools spread 40 miles apart.

Sorry about the lack of suspension pictures, I got them on Friday too so while it would have normally been a big day, getting a house was a slightly bigger deal!
They were made by Penske they're very lush if I do say so, well impressed with them. Just a shame they're going to be sitting in the box for a while

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers!

The Mrs has said that she would rather I got the garage build first! Not going to argue lol But it does actually make some sense, having a workshop means doing work on the house will be easier and it also means I won't be travelling back to my old workshop all the time and having tools spread 40 miles apart.

Sorry about the lack of suspension pictures, I got them on Friday too so while it would have normally been a big day, getting a house was a slightly bigger deal!
They were made by Penske  they're very lush if I do say so, well impressed with them. Just a shame they're going to be sitting in the box for a while 

Lol! Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper there then mate! Yeah definitely sounds like the most sensible thing to do though doesn't it. No point travelling for 40 miles when you could travel 4mtrs! Lol!

Ooh Penske eh!! Very very nice mate. I'm looking forward to seeing them. :) I can test them out for you if you'd like?! Pmsl!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Lol! Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper there then mate! Yeah definitely sounds like the most sensible thing to do though doesn't it. No point travelling for 40 miles when you could travel 4mtrs! Lol!

Ooh Penske eh!! Very very nice mate. I'm looking forward to seeing them. :) I can test them out for you if you'd like?! Pmsl!

Aye, we've managed nearly 10 years together so far so she cant be too bad lol

Shell ready for paint a few weeks ago when it was mad hot

IMG_0875_zps15e4f7d8.jpg

And as it currently sits painted and polished up, not bad given that it was done in a shed, there's only one wee bit that's not 100% but unless I pointed it out to someone they probably wouldnt see it and besides, it's a race car! few stickers, jobs a goodun!

IMG_0942_zps16b01cc9.jpg

Some suspension pictures just for you Mark ;)

They're all 3 way adjustables and for me the major bonus being that they are fully serviceable in the UK, the guy i've been dealing with has been superb.

Rears:
Very Similar design to the Cup Racer Bilstein's but with a different upper mounting point. I'm getting some clevis's made up which bolt through the original damper mounting point. An M10 bolt then goes through that with some spacer/sleeves in the spherical bearing to bring the bore down to suit.

IMG_0956_zpse7d03572.jpg

IMG_0958_zps652a49cb.jpg

Fronts:
Again, these are essentially a copy of the Cup Racer Bilstein's, but with a slightly shorter body. Supplied with adapters to suit my top mounts.
IMG_0959_zps116ac4d6.jpg

IMG_0960_zps03df8e06.jpg

IMG_0961_zpsbb8421d1.jpg

Cup In bits
Very nice Kenny, is that off the shelf stuff that they have pieced together to suit a Clio or full custom?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Bit of both,
The front cases are custom but use standard internals, top pin and adapters machined to suit my top mounts.
The rears as you can see have threads on the outer case so the body is being used in a different configuration to suit a 36mm spring, the lower spring seat and rod eye mounting is all custom.

They were made using mostly new old stock, ie last years design. The big teams want the very latest stuff so they were able to do me a pretty good deal on these. Still expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Wasn't aware the cup ones were known to break but having looked at them I did think the rod end looked a bit puney. The fact it was in single shear wouldn't have helped either, as it may be subjected to flexing.

The lower rod end on these is pretty chunky and is based on a design they did years ago for another team who ran them with no issues so hopefully be ok.

Cup In bits
You should be fine they look a lot more substantial, the r-sport stuff is only 10mm max. I'll probably upgrade if the KH chicane doesn't like them.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
At the moment we're thinking something in the region of 400 front and 500 rear but that may change. The valving is as such that I could potentially go a fair bit stiffer or softer than that, its fairly easy to have them changed should there be a big change in the spring rates.
Initially I'm going to be on small tight circuits and sprints so may opt for softer springs.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah, aware of that Tony, as mentioned, with the current valving there's a fair bit of scope to go up or down from the rates mentioned. I discussed the use of the car at length with the guy at Penske so he was well aware of what I was using it for, once we get some seat time in it and a base line for what works or what doesn't! we can alter the valving to suit.

182cup & 172 racecar
I was aware that you would have looked into it Kenny, just I know what it's like once you start playing around with stuff, sense can sometimes go out the window.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah, know exactly what you mean, been there before!
Given the current situation with the house purchase, unfortunately the car is going to have to take a back seat for a while so it might be a wee while before its actually relevant

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
At the moment we're thinking something in the region of 400 front and 500 rear but that may change. The valving is as such that I could potentially go a fair bit stiffer or softer than that, its fairly easy to have them changed should there be a big change in the spring rates.
Initially I'm going to be on small tight circuits and sprints so may opt for softer springs.

Strange rate as the rear dampers give 1-1 wheel rate in there position? usually you go for spring rate proportional to the weight distribution front and rear. So if its 60/40 the 600F and 400R for example as the starting point...

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Strange rate as the rear dampers give 1-1 wheel rate in there position? usually you go for spring rate proportional to the weight distribution front and rear. So if its 60/40 the 600F and 400R for example as the starting point...

It did seem a little odd to me too at first but that's what's been suggested as an initial staring point.

Where the cup cars not along the same lines? ie really stiff at the back and softer at the front?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Epic dampers Kenny very jealous! My rear dampers have a 1:1 motion ratio yet still have stiffer rear springs than fronts and seems good to me :)

You have a complete working car though! And working well, I've got that to be jealous of.

I thought you had stiffer rear springs than fronts, was actually going to ping you a message about it. Seems to be two different approaches to spring rates on fwd cars, instinct would say stiffer springs at the front but a lot of folk now seem to be going for stiffer springs at the back. The guy at Penske did explain the logic behind it a wee while ago and it made sense at the time, but too many beers tonight to type it! Lol

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Today has been mostly about fibreglass!

I got a bonnet and tailgate from MC racing in France a few months ago, and a pair of doors from CMcomposites during the group buy.

The bonnet fitted surprising well, only needed very minor tidying up along the edges.

IMG_0964_zps89943a97.jpg

It's got no inner skin to speak of and the outer is quite frankly stupidly thin, I guess they were going all out for saving weight! so I cant really complain as it is very light.
Only minor issue was the middle of the bonnet would pop inward with very little pressure so I decided to add a small stiffener, made from a bit of folded ally, etch primed and then bonded on with some sikaflex.

IMG_0967_zps9cd72222.jpg

The tailgate wasn't quite so straight forward! It was the wrong shape in that it had too much of a curve in it and the edges had been trimmed back too far and the gaps round the lights where huge, granted it's a race car but even then it was still shockingly bad.
So a few hours of cutting, shutting and filling had the profile sorted and then buttered up the edges with some fibreglass, also filled in the lock recess.

IMG_0963_zpse76444e1.jpg

Only got a picture of this side but both doors are now mounted, mirrors, handles etc test fitted

IMG_0968_zps65b8b746.jpg

The fit is pretty good but I have noticed the top corner catches on the edge of the roof as it's closing. Once closed however, the gaps all look pretty good so it seems it's just the door sagging slightly under it's own weight?
I've tried adjusting things as much as I could but the only way to stop it is to set the strike plate a bit high so that it lifts the door before it touches the roof. The alternative is to either trim the edge of the door back a bit or bend the hinges on the A-pillar foward slightly.

It's understandable for a fibreglass door to sag a little, just wondered if anyone else with these doors has noticed this?

I have a set of Kevlar doors and they catch the roof slightly too, I removed the door rubber trim to get them a tad closer. However I will see how I go with that.

My GRP bonnet had the inner skin on them, funny how them ones dont have them. Looking good anyway fella.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Resorted to plan B

image_zps0ca50f4d.jpg

Had to get pretty brutal with them, but it worked a treat, both doors now close as well as can be expected. It was the A-pillar that gave before the hinge!