ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

M3, Cup racer'd 182
As always Kenny top work from yourself very jealous of your electrical knowledge, and thanks for all the info that's been passed through pm's :).
I must finish reading this from the start again just to see if the answers are in here to my queries.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers again for the comments lads.

Believe it or not this was the product of 9hrs work yesterday, very slow progress but i've been double checking everything as I go and so far no mistakes. This is just the control wiring, once I've got all that laid in I'll move onto the power.
I'm probably going to make a test rig so I can power this up, test all the outputs and simulate ECU inputs to prove it's all good before the ECU goes near it then I can make a start on the main looms.

IMG_0622_zps8ce4eeb4.jpg

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Just when I was starting to make some good progress on the wiring, it was time to go back to work! Possibly not all bad though, i'll be looking at it with fresh eyes when I go back so good opportunity to spot any mistakes.

Pretty much where I got to before I left,

SwitchPanel1_zps318798f7.png

Nylon Rack Bushes

For those interested in these, I spoke to the guy at the start of the week, the first set has been made so I'll get a look and try them when I get home, if everything is good i'll ask him to make a few more sets. Should be able to do them for about £40-45 +postage

172 cup, Impreza P1
Looking good mate. Wish I had the skills and knowledge to do the wiring on mine I could ditch the OE ecu.

With regards to the rack bushes, why have you chosen nylon?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
It'll still have a tiny little bit of 'give' in them but for all intents and purposes, the rack will be solid mounted.

I've spoken to a few guys who were involved in running the Cup Racers and they were adamant that the rack moved axially in its mounts. Given the rules, they weren't allowed to change parts so they resorted to glueing the rack into the mounts with epoxy or araldite! One of the guys also said they fitted a second bulkhead skin to stop it flexing and seemingly this made a big difference.

Cup In bits
R-sport actually sells solid bushes Kenny. The cup racers used to crack subframes and chassis legs frequently too I was told by TCR :S

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I phoned R-sport and asked about them, they said they were standard road car parts?

Yeah i'd heard about the subframes cracking, having the engine mounted to it on virtually solid mounts wasnt a very good idea.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I phoned R-sport and asked about them, they said they were standard road car parts?

Yeah i'd heard about the subframes cracking, having the engine mounted to it on virtually solid mounts wasnt a very good idea.

It all depends on who you speak to at R-sport kenny as one of the guys who works there is a real pita to deal with tbh! And that's possibly the kindest word I'll say of him!!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
That may well be something to do with it!! I've never found them very helpful any time I've phoned. I quite possibly just got fobbed off or they dont know what the road car actually had?
I remember Ian tried to order a new upright for his rally car and they supplied a new 182 upright !!??

Even if it turns out they do sell them, i'm still going to carry on and offer these to folk who are interested, it's not really cost me much in the grand scheme of things to have the first set made and I know I can get more made easily if and when they're needed.

Cup In bits
Yeah iirc it was P@blo on here that got a set and had all the part numbers, wether it was cup racer, s1600, group n etc I'm not sure. I 2nd the r-sport service, I have waited weeks for them to come back with prices, all the guys sound old and complacent in their jobs tbh.

As you say Kenny if its not cost you much then get some made, at least you know you will have an endless supply in the future.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I've been busy making trailer for a friends boat since I got home, as usual its taken longer than planned so I only got the cover off the car on Wednesday afternoon, back to work next week but heyho.

Given that I've been short of time I asked the machine shop to post out the first set of rack bushes to save me a drive. If he's going to make enough of them he'll make up a jig to slice them exactly in half so they can be mixed, this set are matched pairs as indicated by the coloured dots.

IMG_0669_zpsbd7c4382.jpg

The offside bush is a nice tight fit into the rack and needs the saddle clamp to draw it in, its not overly tight, just what you'd want to ensure there's not play in it.

IMG_0671_zps58746180.jpg

IMG_0672_zpsf19ced14.jpg

IMG_0673_zpsa1388502.jpg

If anyone is interested in a set send me a PM. I'm still hoping to keep pricing around the £40-45 + postage. Once I get a better idea of how many sets we're talking about ill speak to the machine shop again and see what they can do on the price.

Kenny.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Wee update:

Seeing as I've now got fibreglass doors it seemed rude not to go the whole hog and do the bonnet and tailgate too.
I tried to get hold of Hal but after 3 weeks of trying I figured I wasn't going to so decided to look elsewhere.

After a bit of searching the only other places that seemed to offer panels for the Clio where Xsport Racing and MC Racing in France.

Xsport racing never replied either but thankfully the lads at MC Racing did, and quickly too, Google translate ftw! both ways at times I suspect lol

The bonnet and tailgate arrived today in a huge cardboard box, cant fault them on the packing. The finish quality isn't quite as good as the doors from CM Composites but it's nothing that a bit of sanding and high build primer wouldnt fix, and besides, it's a race car not a show'n'shine.

The best bit though is the weight, or lack of! The bonnet is 3.7kgs, tailgate 2.7kgs :D
I suspect the bonnet is going to change shape the faster you go but i'll live with it for that sort of weight saving. Will get a few pictures up tomorrow if I remember. Nearly time to go back to work :dapprove:

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah, when I was opening the box I honestly thought they'd just sent the bonnet, found something to stiffen the bonnet skin with minimal weight so all good.

Weighed the doors last night, I got just over 6kgs but my wee digital scales are just about maxed at that so maybe a little off.

triumph dayton 650
Hi mate this used to be my girlfriends car.
was a great wee car she had it when it was tree years old.
She was a bit taken back by your build thread but i explained to her what you were trying to achive.
If your going to make it to knock hill this year if you could give me a shout as she was very sentimental about it as it was her first car.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I also know someone who had it as a courtesy car from Ness motors, not sure what year that was though, i'd need to ask him again. Where did she buy it from?

If I get it finished this year i'll certainly be aiming to get it out somewhere for a shake down, might be Kames first as it's easier to get a day down there when it's quieter and have more time to iron out niggles etc.

triumph dayton 650
She purchased it from a chap in Elgin. As he was looking for a bigger car due to kids.
love what your doing with it mate. Looks like its going to be a great wee car.
Some pics of when she sold it. Think she bought with just under 30k on it.
SDC10086.jpg

SDC10079.jpg

SDC10077.jpg

SDC10073.jpg

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Excellent, always nice to get a bit of history on a car.
If you keep an eye on the thread or ill drop you a pm when I finally get it finished, your welcome to come along for a hurl in it.

Clio 172 sport
I just like to say wow! This is amazing! Wish I had the time and money. Keep up the good work Kenny.
Ill deffo be following this thred!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Only home for 12 days this time, more like 11 now :(

I've got loads of other stuff to get on with so not overly confident about getting much done on the car.

That said I had a few things sitting waiting when I got home, top mounts back from being nickel plated

IMG_0707_zpsffb7edd2.jpg

IMG_0709_zps1c00c5c8.jpg

2472ab15-0401-4152-90ed-6501d81aaa51_zps1269515a.jpg

Hoping to get a bit more wiring done and then make some preparations for painting the next time i'm home.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Finally..... the switch panel is finished, assuming there are no mistakes that is hahah. I've been through it once already with the multimeter and all seems good but I'll go through everything again tomorrow with a fresh check sheet just to make sure.

Those who dont like cable ties, look away now lol, I did consider lacing cord but then I gave myself a slap

IMG_0785_zps6b25f4a0.jpg

IMG_0791_zps9f9b9d50.jpg

Not sure what to tackle next, there are a few small bits of the wiring looms I could probably do in the time I've got left before I need to go back offshore.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
There's nothing to be concerned about by using one wire colour, if you number the ends it's far better than using different colours/tracer combinations imho. With proper diagrams it's a doddle to trace things and you can quickly pin point any faults or issues. The main reason I used one colour however was down to cost, I wanted to use Raychem44 for everything, as it stands I've got a reel of 20awg and a reel of 16awg, start adding in multiple colours and that gets very expensive.

I thought i'd put up a picture of the front recently? I'll put it all in the car tomorrow but it's basically as it is here

IMG_0692_zps0238a355.jpg

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Wow, what a lump! You must be putting in a good amount of hours to do that

Yeah it is a fair old lump but if you consider its basically the entire electircal system for the car, bar the ECU compressed into one unit, it's not actually too bad.

Time to wire it all, I'm honestly not sure but i'd take a wild guess at something around 60-70hrs?

Renault clio sport
What a great build. Enjoyed the read kenny amazing work you've done. Can't wait to see the finishes product !!!! Good luck