ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just crashed my clio about 10 mins ago

Mondeo TDCI 130
Meh, if your mate isnt claiming, and your not bothered what it looks like under the boot carpet :

get the boot floor straightened as best as possible so the boot shuts, new bumper and bootlid etc from a scrapyard, if your lucky you may even find the right colour. ( i see plenty of clios with creased boot floors that i am sure the owners have never seen! )

Learn from the mistake dude, remember, it could have been a lot worse, you could have reversed into somebody!

We've repaired quite a few cars with creases in the boot floor, doesn't mean the cars fooked at all.

i crashed my old landrover into a concrete bollard last year...

this was the result...

LANDROVER 1 - 0 Concrete bollard

20071012002.gif

ITB'd MK1
seriously, what happens if its a write off, do i tell my insurrance

depends if you're fully comp or not, if not then there isnt really any point, but then if it is a write off which sounds highly likely do you plan on repairing it then selling it? as this is highly illegal.

how is it? if you dont claim, then it's never catagorised as a write off. It's certainly NOT illegal to repair a car and sell it, where on earth did you get that deluded concept from? Thousands of people make a living from doing just that

mk4 golf gttdi180
seriously, what happens if its a write off, do i tell my insurrance

depends if you're fully comp or not, if not then there isnt really any point, but then if it is a write off which sounds highly likely do you plan on repairing it then selling it? as this is highly illegal.
^^^^ bul s**t ! sorry but i work in a body shoo and we repair cars all the time that have been catagoried and nothing illegal about this

M2 Competition
Boot floor will be around a grand.

Boot, rear bumper etc on top, plus paint... isnt going to be cheap to make the car mint again.

182 FF
lmao at the guy that thinks its "highly illegal" to repair a insurance write off.

As McEnroe would say ......U cannot be serious!?

Punto/Clio GTT
all these people giving prices are basically just plucking figures out of thin air.

without actual pictures of the damage and to see whether the boot floor will pull out with a dozer, whether it will push out with a 1/4 power, whether the back panel is repairable, whether it needs both, whether the bumpers repairable, whether the tailgates damaged, whether the roof is creased, whether the cars a write off etc etc.

100% waste of time asking for a price without any pictures as noone can tell you without seeing the damage.

RS 172
My car is a Cat-D due to rear end damage which resulted in a creased floor. However, it was repaired fine, and when I bought it I had a mechanic with me to give it a once over and he said the back looked perfect, so it is repairable.
Insurance may class it as a write-off though.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I wonder if his mate found more damage to his motor and has put a claim in?, must be more damage to his mates than what he thought.

Red Clio II
firstly, thank you to all who have helped me so far
i have went to a few body shops about or people who do body work
I got 1 quote of £1000 - £1200....this near broke my heart

2nd - i have to hear a quote from another man tommrro
3rd, im slightly drunk and have took a few pics this minute to show you

please help with this
i live in n.ireland and there aint many body repair shops i know of

DSCN0633.gif

DSCN0636.gif

DSCN0647.gif

DSCN0637.gif

DSCN0638.gif

DSCN0639.gif

DSCN0640.gif

DSCN0642.gif

DSCN0644.gif

DSCN0645.gif

DSCN0646.gif

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
You don't have to report it at all, but repair will cost a fortune I'm afraid, if a new boot floor needs welding in. Just cancel your insurance now, as that'll give you a refund of the rest of the year.

You can now sell it, or pay to get it repaired - which may be way too much money for you. You can sell it to a salvage yard/on ebay, as it's unrecorded, someone who can do the work themselves for a few quid will buy it and then sell it on for a profit, as it won't have a history - dodgy, but legal.

Possible moral issue for you there allowing that too happen - but hey, anyone else would do it to you, and you're not selling it as *mint*, you're selling it as damaged, personally wouldn't have a problem with it, it's the guy that fixes it and sells it as mint that's doin the dodgyness - but then, repairs like that aren't likely to leave it dangerous or even noticeable.

Sorry dude, but there's not many positives :( s**t happens, learn from it, remember - it could always be worse, always someone worse off than you :)

Edit - £1200? Isn't that a bit cheap? New bumper, new boot sprayed and fitted, and a new floor welded in?! I suppose using 2nd hand parts maybe...

PH2 172
I would sell it on for spares or to a salvage company and put the money u was going to spend on repairing it and the money u get for selling it and get urself a new car

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
tbh if that was me, i would drive it around like that untill end of insurance, then you get a years no claims, then sell it on for parts.thats is what id personally do. wouldn't bother claiming for it. IMO

Honda. Tesla Someday
You don't have to report it at all, but repair will cost a fortune I'm afraid, if a new boot floor needs welding in. Just cancel your insurance now, as that'll give you a refund of the rest of the year.

You can now sell it, or pay to get it repaired - which may be way too much money for you. You can sell it to a salvage yard/on ebay, as it's unrecorded, someone who can do the work themselves for a few quid will buy it and then sell it on for a profit, as it won't have a history - dodgy, but legal.

Possible moral issue for you there allowing that too happen - but hey, anyone else would do it to you, and you're not selling it as *mint*, you're selling it as damaged, personally wouldn't have a problem with it, it's the guy that fixes it and sells it as mint that's doin the dodgyness - but then, repairs like that aren't likely to leave it dangerous or even noticeable.

Sorry dude, but there's not many positives :( s**t happens, learn from it, remember - it could always be worse, always someone worse off than you :)

Edit - £1200? Isn't that a bit cheap? New bumper, new boot sprayed and fitted, and a new floor welded in?! I suppose using 2nd hand parts maybe...

This sounds good...

1.2 Clio
Thats got to have caved in like 6 inches at least. Thats some savage speed to do that.. 30 in reverse anyone???
Chap i know reversed his car at speed in a bay next to me on wednesday, i told him that if his corsa box had have hit the clio, that i'd had dragged his head across the concrete floor. People are bloody dangerous travelling the way that the car is meant to go, i don't reverse any quicker than walking pace tbh....

Chelsea tractor
If that's the damage to your car, your mates car is going to be far more damaged than just a cracked bumper and a couple of scratches...

K20 EG Hatch
Depends what car it is. Clio's aren't exactly strong cars compared to alot of motors.

If that's the damage to your car, your mates car is going to be far more damaged than just a cracked bumper and a couple of scratches...

Punto/Clio GTT
so new bumper, new back panel, new tailgate. source the bumper and tailgate yourself second hand, get a new back panel from renault. the floor aint that bad, it will pull pretty easy with a dozer.

id say youre looking at around £600-£800 for the work (without the price of the parts on top)

182 FF
I'd agree with FM-696, the floor will pull straight, doesnt look bad at all in the pics you have provided.

Defo Source the tailgate/bumper yourself (with any luck u might get em in the right colour so saving money on painting) check ebay for second hand ones. Then find someone that knows what they are doing and get it on a dozer and get them to weld in a section of the back panel.

£150 to buy 2nd hand bumper/tailgate

£400 for supply and fit of second hand back panel and straighten floor on a dozer.

£250 more if you need to get the tailgate/bumper sprayed.

Job done

If you were local I could give you numbers of people to do this for you no probs.

White clique
ouch it does look harsh, but repairable i think.

I had a saxo, a Merc went into me at about 15mph and the damage was very similar, the back wing was even creased but they still managed to fix it under insurance.

I'd take a look at how much its going to cost, then weigh up how much extra it may cost on your insurance if you claim. I am lead to believe insurance is really expensive in Ireland? So maybe best not to claim - how much are you paying for insurance, how many years no claims etc?

Chin up mate, is a bummer but just concentrate on being practical and getting it sorted ASAP.

thats a heavy impact gutted...

i take it we arent getting the whole story...?

showing off? arsing about?

we have all done it...

a burnt one
^^^^ bul s**t ! sorry but i work in a body shoo and we repair cars all the time that have been catagoried and nothing illegal about this

Ok, so are you telling me that you're company repairs cat A and B cars then puts them back on the road?

If he isnt going to declare it then obviously the insurance are not going to write it off but if he repairs it himself who's to say it's not a cat A or B?

A cat C also needs an independednt engineers report to prove it is roadworthy.

I am fully aware that bodyshops repair categoried cars all the time thank you very much, but i presume the insurance know about these repairs being carried out.

ITB'd MK1

Ok, so are you telling me that you're company repairs cat A and B cars then puts them back on the road?

If he isnt going to declare it then obviously the insurance are not going to write it off but if he repairs it himself who's to say it's not a cat A or B?

I am fully aware that bodyshops repair categoried cars all the time thank you very much, but i presume the insurance know about these repairs being carried out.

shhh

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner

Well, no one mentioned Cat A or B cars, what you first said was

but then if it is a write off which sounds highly likely do you plan on repairing it then selling it? as this is highly illegal.

Which is a very different thing. But anyway, that's not important.

If he chooses to repair it himself I don't think there is any law against that? It doesn't have to be checked over and catagorised by anyone, it just usually happens that they are because the insurance companies are involved. But if you crash your car, surely you're perfectly ok to fix it and get no one else involved?

I agree, there would be no one to say it was safe, and no one to say whether it should've been binned, and this is probably a loophole in the law, but as it stands as far as I'm aware if you crash your car, you can repair it, there is no legal requirement to show it to an insurance assessor. S'why you see cars on ebay as damaged and 'not recorded' - people selling them on to get some cash back, to people who will no doubt repair them and sell them, never telling anyone of the history.

Dan - doesn't work in the motortrade, but has worked in insurance.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Are you sure you only cracked you mates bumper? because you must of been going some to do that amount of damage!

182 FF
Gary - The check required for cat C cars is not to check whether the vehicle is roadworthy, it is to check the identity of the vehicle (chasis numbers, engine numbers etc). Its called a VIC (Vehicle Identity check).

Mondeo TDCI 130
so new bumper, new back panel, new tailgate. source the bumper and tailgate yourself second hand, get a new back panel from renault. the floor aint that bad, it will pull pretty easy with a dozer.

id say youre looking at around £600-£800 for the work (without the price of the parts on top)

Doing that yourself FM, what do you reckon? i you sourced the bits secondhand, get them painted at the local bodyshop, £300-400?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm useless at reversing.

Crashed mine 3 times, but luckily/sensibly I reverse at a normal human beings pace so I've never sone any damage.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
£1200 seems a bit over prices to me. I own a bodyshop, if I were you, I'd go down the scrappies and find a second hand bootlid and back bumper. I repaired a dynamique and sourced a silver bootlid, with glass and spoiler for £70. You'll get a bumper off ebay for £20 max. Get those bits yourself, and all you have to worry about is the crease, which looks like it can be pulled, painting and fitting. You could probably fit yourself too if you got a mate to help.

Red Clio II
ok here is the update

left it in to a man to get it fixed
£350 for the parts
£400 for his work (he has to pay someone to pull it so this is reasonable imo)

so it's going to cost about £750 - £800 to fix and then ive to fix my mates.

I'm not going through the insurrance and it's not a write off
I will take pics and stuff when its done, should be next week sometime

i am going top magaluf for a week on 25th july and have about £1000 spending money, however...i am thinking about not going and repairing the motor! what do you guys and gals think anout that
my dad has told me to go on and never worry about the cars

PS: IM SURE MY MATES CAR IS JUST A CRACKED BUMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ill take a few pics and post them up as well