ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this worth buying?

Hello all

New to this forum and to the world of the Clio Sport.

Been looking at buying one for a while now and have found this local: http://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/silver-renault-clio-sport-2.0-16v-manual-gold-alloys/1084982901

Shame about the gold bits but that can be altered, but my question is this, is it worth it?

I've spoke to guy selling it for his mate, his mate got it in Jan and has only done 100 miles since as he has a company car, I asked when mot is due he said July 2015, also said he has lots of receipt and history, but at 108k I'm sceptical, I asked when cambelt was done and he has receitpt for it being done in 2010 at 90k, I read that every 5 years need to be done so it's coming up for that soon, but he don't know if the dephaser was also replaced with it, I doubt it...

Also he said engine management light is on but diagnostic can't find the fault, nor can the trip computer in the car find it... which is odd.

Is it worth getting? I don't have mega dough to spend on one right now, I knocked him down to £950.

Please advise as I might go look today.

Regards

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A Clio from gumtree that doesn't work and the sellers name isn't on the V5??

What could possibly go wrong...

agree with the above. as the old saying goes if it looks too good...... always dubious of people selling 'their' mates car. don't be put off buying from gumtree though as I found both my 172's locally on gumtree and both were clean well looked after examples. I would look to spend a bit more up front as although its only £950 you can be guaranteed that you'll be spending another £400/500 sorting stuff out. I looked at a 172 selling for £999 originally but seemed a bit too cheap/dodgy glad I looked around a bit more. your best bet is to find a member selling one as they're normally well looked after by an enthusiast. happy shopping, I love car shopping!

RB 182 FF
Personally I'd buy one off a forum member who's cared for it and knows these cars, you can buy them cheap for sure but be prepared for bills bills bills! I'd save hassle and heartache and buy a tidy example!:up:

Didn't get back here in time to see reviews but I brought it anyway, thanks for the feedback, I took a punt on it and it's great so far, review my post here: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/first-clio-sport-172-ph2-love-it.760546/#post-10516178

He did have a very legit reason for him selling it for his mate, and there is s**t loads of receipts and history for it.

Few niggles, but got rid of the gold crap, going to do the wheels graphite grey next. polished up and looks great now.