ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Pro

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Saw one of these for the first time. A bloke had one in a lecture, and I just can't see the point of them. The size of it is just unnecessary!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
But what is the purpose of it being so big? I use my iPhone 6 mostly, and rarely use my iPad mini. iPad mini would be perfect for trains etc.

Media mainly. Its perfect for browsing while lying in bed or watching a movie while sat on the sofa or train. From a performance perspective it blitz's the Air2, Mini etc.

It's just not as portable (I don't walk around with my Air so not an issue for me).

Cayman S Edition 1
I need a new iPad (currently have an iPad3), but not sure if the Pro is a little overkill.

Is it that much better than the Air 2?

Listerine & Poledo
Depends what you want
If you want to get an iPad, just get an iPad
If you want a laptop replacement that's trendy enough to draw envious glances from everyone in Starbucks, but has about 1/4 of the functionality, get an iPad pro
If you want a laptop replacement that isn't going to win you any scene-points but is a genuinely good piece of kit, get a Surface

Cayman S Edition 1
Depends what you want
If you want a laptop replacement that's trendy enough to draw envious glances from everyone in Starbucks, but has about 1/4 of the functionality, get an iPad pro
If you want a laptop replacement that isn't going to win you any scene-points but is a genuinely good piece of kit, get a Surface
I just want an iPad that will last me another 3 years and not run like a brick.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Depends what you want

LOL no.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I need a new iPad (currently have an iPad3), but not sure if the Pro is a little overkill.

Is it that much better than the Air 2?

Depends on what you need/want.

Performance wise its a massive step up, huge.

If you plan on browsing the web while on the move then I'd go for the Air2, for anything else I'd say iPP.

The iPP is substantially more money, is cost and portability of paramount importance?

Cayman S Edition 1
Depends on what you need/want.

Performance wise its a massive step up, huge.

If you plan on browsing the web while on the move then I'd go for the Air2, for anything else I'd say iPP.

The iPP is substantially more money, is cost and portability of paramount importance?
I've got a 2012 Macbook Pro which does most things for me. Just need the iPad for basic stuff at the moment.

Sounds like the Air2 will do the job.

Ta

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I've got a 2012 Macbook Pro which does most things for me. Just need the iPad for basic stuff at the moment.

Sounds like the Air2 will do the job.

Ta

It certainly will.

Realistically there won't be an Air3 until Sept next year, I know people are hopeful for an update Q1 next year though.

I love my air 2. I do not see the point in waiting for the air 3. Slightly better specs thats a definite, but what's the point when the air 2 is hardly a slug. Oh and a slightly improved camera...which is only used by grandparents and chinese people

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I love my air 2. I do not see the point in waiting for the air 3. Slightly better specs thats a definite, but what's the point when the air 2 is hardly a slug. Oh and a slightly improved camera...which is only used by grandparents and chinese people

I'd expect improved display, 4 speakers and force touch. Potentially a spec boost and pencil compatibility...

I'd say thats a big leap (if it happens).

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

The pro does not have 1/4 of the functionality of an Air2...Ridiculous statement.

It might not be running OSX but I'd rather pick up a iPP than a Surface for everyday stuff every day of the week.

Sell me your 197
Tried one at the Princes St Apple Store waiting for them to replace my iPhone 6
Absolutely hated it, it's just so huge and unwieldy, but you can't actually do anything more on it than anything either iOS device. All of the apps are just upscaled regular iPad ones.
That said, I think the same of my iPhone. I wish they'd release the iPod Touch form factor as an iPhone, if I want to do anything that needs more screen space I have a Mini 4.

I've been doing important internet related things all week, submitting CV's, doing online aptitude tests, replying to many emails and doing many online orders and processing, if I hadn't have packed my laptop i'd be stuffed, iOS is just too limited for doing any real work. Believe me, i've spent enough time in Starbucks on my iPad trying to make it work, but it just doesn't.

I run OS X, but even some of the tests held by recruiters called for IE, so had to boot into Windows. It's the world we live in.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Because my iPad has replaced my laptop, both in function and that it never leaves the house, bar to go to another house, I can't wait to get an iPad pro.

I've been wanting another iPad for a while and when the pro was released it was a no brainier over the regular ones. Buying the halo model and all that.

More real estate = more better.

Would you buy an a4 when you had the option to get an rs6?

dk

911 GTS Cab
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It's like going from an iPhone 5 to a 6 and then wondering how you ever got on with such a small screen.

That's an iPad Air 1, although it seems and feels bigger than the pic shows. It's needs to be held in two hands. I'd say it's not one to be taking out of the house, it's not heavy, just large.

On the air I can hold it in both hands and still just about type on the keyboard, the pro is just so big I can't do that so its one finger typing. The keyboard is better though, numbers and other stuff already on screen without the need to go into another part of the keyboard by pressing a button.

Also seems rapid, not done too much with it but it's quick.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
View attachment 141769 View attachment 141770

It's like going from an iPhone 5 to a 6 and then wondering how you ever got on with such a small screen.

That's an iPad Air 1, although it seems and feels bigger than the pic shows. It's needs to be held in two hands. I'd say it's not one to be taking out of the house, it's not heavy, just large.

On the air I can hold it in both hands and still just about type on the keyboard, the pro is just so big I can't do that so its one finger typing. The keyboard is better though, numbers and other stuff already on screen without the need to go into another part of the keyboard by pressing a button.

Looking good.

Surely its perfect for the train or plane?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I personally think you'll look a t**t with one?

Like people who talk on a phablet.

I just think it's overkill for a train or plane, but I'll probably try it out. Put it this way, I'm training it into London all week and will be taking my air with me.

Videos do look very cool on it though.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I personally think you'll look a t**t with one?

Like people who talk on a phablet.

I just think it's overkill for a train or plane, but I'll probably try it out. Put it this way, I'm training it into London all week and will be taking my air with me.

Videos do look very cool on it though.

As much as a t**t as wearing a softcat t-shirt?

;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
View attachment 141769 View attachment 141770

Genuinely laughing, as I've just realised that's your cardboard cut out isn't it?

Dk, thanks for the pics. Answers my question about resolution scaling. You do indeed get more effective area, not just a bigger screen with scaled UI elements.

I can't see myself getting one of these but never say never.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I thought it would be good, but I really can't imagine going back to a regular sized iPad now other than for travel.

The bigger screen is excellent, like going from avportablebtv to a hd flat widescreen tv.

My boss had one the other day, I thought it was huge! My colleague's just got one too (both have 128gb) after seeing it again, it's not as big as I thought it was & looks neat.

I'm considering getting one to replace my ageing laptop (it's six years old now & clinging on for life!) I have an ipad 4, but I'd use this instead of the laptop. I'd get the keyboard too as do a fair bit of typing. I'm yet to see the keyboard as my colleague has to pick that up later.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I want one of these. And was all set to get one.

Then I realised I'm paying the price of a 172 or a decent tv for an iPad.

So I'm now wondering if it's worth it.

...alas, I'll still end up with one.

I think the point of this is to cement the home/office tablet in replacing the laptop for those who don't need the extra capability.

If/when I get one, it'll be purely for use in the house due to the size and the regular iPad/phone will be for excursions.

I say excursions, only t***s take iPads out of the house, the regular iPad will be for when visiting friends and family.

There is utterly no point in iPad minis with the size of phones nowadays... And there's absolutely no point in plus size phones. So have a regular size iPhone for outside and a massive iPad for inside.

Sell me your 197
iPad minis are the boss. Biggest tablet you'd ever need tbh

What do people who "Don't need the extra capability" of a laptop actually do? I can't even browse CS without my laptop :\

Sell me your 197
iPhone 6... I'll be first in line for the 4" 6C when it comes tho

Mini's the best, I use it for my GPS/Messaging/Clash of Clans when sitting down (I know, it's a f**king s**t game but whatever) and the bigger battery means my phone lasts all day

It pretty much lives in the car or my satchel if I have it on me

And yep when at home it's laptop all the way. Thank god for text message forwarding and iMessage I can text people off the laptop/answer phone calls... Soooooooo much quicker to type.

Even little things... I use YouTube to listen to music... half of the videos aren't available on mobile devices... and even then I couldn't imagine using YouTube without the ads disabled...

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
satchel!!!

lol - wheres Alan at these days?

has the OP bought one yet? matter of time!

The only large screen I'm buying shortly is a new TV... That doesn't translate to "Micks purchased an iPad Pro" either.

My boss had one the other day, I thought it was huge! My colleague's just got one too (both have 128gb) after seeing it again, it's not as big as I thought it was & looks neat.

I'm considering getting one to replace my ageing laptop (it's six years old now & clinging on for life!) I have an ipad 4, but I'd use this instead of the laptop. I'd get the keyboard too as do a fair bit of typing. I'm yet to see the keyboard as my colleague has to pick that up later.
So, he got the keyboard & it all looked nice, the keyboard doesn't have a £ on it, only $ so he made a short cut for it... he ended taking it back over the weekend as he already has various other apple products.
I was looking at Macbook Pro's over the weekend.

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
how are people finding these? tempted to get one as got rid of my last ipad and wanting a new one,
especially as krc are doing 5% off them currently (never seen apple products in sale before)