ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Pro

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
So the 12.9" iPad Pro has gone in to the store today for £679.00 - £899.00 but does anyone actually want/need it? Lets go one further, has anyone here actually pre-ordered one?

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro

It looks great, even though HUGE and that screen is mint but whilst being the type of person that can talk himself in to pretty much owning most Apple product lines (MBP, Watch, iPhone, ATV, iPad R-Mini) I don't see a sound business case for dropping my MBP from my bag for one of these. Are there any power users that would consider one of these for anything like Video/Image editing over a desktop or mobile Mac?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The want for one of these is very strong.

We're after another iPad and it just made sense to wait till this is out.

I love the multitasking, real estate and extra speakers. For my multitasking, browsing and music/films.

I think we'll be getting this rather than an iPad Air 2.

But no, there's no real need to upgrade from a mbp to this imo

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's just the £900 for an iPad with Pen and keyboard that puts me off as I know it'll mainly end up being used for p**n/browsing internetz, FaceTiming @Jaff. and completing the VAT returns. My late 2013 13" MBP is due an upgrade in the new year and i'm swaying toward the big boy 15" MBP but I'm trying to rationalise this in my head... £1999 for an MBP15 and OSX Vs £900 for the iPP and iOS.

I've not looked in to Pro iOS Apps but I can't see there being Photoshop and Lightroom on these soon, 100% not AutoCAD so the MBP looks like it'll have to be the choice this time.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
How 'professionally' for lack of a better word do you photoshop?

I use art studio on my phone and iPad and it's bang on for messing around photoshops.

Actually, there is a photoshop app... It was used in the keynote for demonstrating the iPad pro

Yeah, you'll need something proper for autocad.

Make a list of what you'll use the £2k mbp for and see how much of that you can check off the £900 iPad.

As much as I want the pencil, I don't think I'll be buying one. It does seem like a gimmick from the off

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
My personal/business use for PS is creating images/graphics for our website and LR I use for our photos both in work and at home. I'm finding that AutoCAD isn't used that much anymore as I don't do that much engineering these days, I don't think i'll be renewing my subscription next August. I should be able to continue with a MBP13 as it's more than powerful enough and it's mobile but I am being drawn toward the extra screen size of the MBP15. If I didn't go that large though, that's a £500 saving straight off... not that it's my actually money mind so I don't really care (If I don't spend it HMRC only want a percentage of it in Corporation Tax).

I will have a look in tot he PS App from the Keynote but I guess i'm just getting hung up on OS-X Vs iOS.

Z4
I'm tempted by one of these.
My Mac mini is long past it, and I've been thinking about a new ipad for a while. Would kill 2 birds.
Are they on show in the apple shop? I have a day off today/tomorrow so I can see myself buying one if I'm impressed.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My personal/business use for PS is creating images/graphics for our website and LR I use for our photos both in work and at home. I'm finding that AutoCAD isn't used that much anymore as I don't do that much engineering these days, I don't think i'll be renewing my subscription next August. I should be able to continue with a MBP13 as it's more than powerful enough and it's mobile but I am being drawn toward the extra screen size of the MBP15. If I didn't go that large though, that's a £500 saving straight off... not that it's my actually money mind so I don't really care (If I don't spend it HMRC only want a percentage of it in Corporation Tax).

I will have a look in tot he PS App from the Keynote but I guess i'm just getting hung up on OS-X Vs iOS.

Definitely look into art studio if that's all you use it for.

I used to use it for work for a similar use to you.

I've not used Mac OS for a long time so I don't know how it differs from iOS.

But tbh I have no quarrels with iOS either on the phone or my current ipad

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It's just the £900 for an iPad with Pen and keyboard that puts me off as I know it'll mainly end up being used for p**n/browsing internetz, FaceTiming @Jaff. and completing the VAT returns. My late 2013 13" MBP is due an upgrade in the new year and i'm swaying toward the big boy 15" MBP but I'm trying to rationalise this in my head... £1999 for an MBP15 and OSX Vs £900 for the iPP and iOS.

I've not looked in to Pro iOS Apps but I can't see there being Photoshop and Lightroom on these soon, 100% not AutoCAD so the MBP looks like it'll have to be the choice this time.
I refuse to take another call off you on yet another apple device you whore!

dk

911 GTS Cab
They are in stock in John Lewis.
If anyone is looking to buy a 128gb one, if you're quick the website is wrong and they've labelled the 64gb as 128, so you could bag a 128gb for £799 instead of £899 as you'll have an order for a 128gb listed one at that price, and they are the sort of company that would honour it.

I've been debating getting one but I really don't need anything bigger than the iPad for what I use it for.

Apple were clever with the branding of this though, if it was a plus instead of a pro I dot as many people would be interested, calling it pro was an astute move!

Lou

ClioSport Club Member
  182 & 595
They are in stock in John Lewis.
If anyone is looking to buy a 128gb one, if you're quick the website is wrong and they've labelled the 64gb as 128, so you could bag a 128gb for £799 instead of £899 as you'll have an order for a 128gb listed one at that price, and they are the sort of company that would honour it.

I've been debating getting one but I really don't need anything bigger than the iPad for what I use it for.

Apple were clever with the branding of this though, if it was a plus instead of a pro I dot as many people would be interested, calling it pro was an astute move!

They aren't doing a 64gb version of the Pro, only 32gb, 128gb and 128gb with cellular so the John Lewis prices are correct on their website.

Mine should be getting delivered today hopefully.

Reactions: dk

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I refuse to take another call off you on yet another apple device you whore!

42d67e68a3ddfd084babf05e373a5ef5.jpg

Awww, why you got a be so pissy, I'm just kidding - relax!

This one still makes me piss though:

399123212818068f169261fa36645fb5.jpg

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You had to get the picture of an Apple Watch in didn't you?!

We all know you have one stop telling us about it ;)

I stand by my comment though lol

dk

911 GTS Cab
They aren't doing a 64gb version of the Pro, only 32gb, 128gb and 128gb with cellular so the John Lewis prices are correct on their website.

Mine should be getting delivered today hopefully.
Ah, my bad, I didn't realise!

Listerine & Poledo
If I was going to get a not-laptop, that wasn't an iPad mini, it'd be a surface pro. i7. 16gb.
But then, I don't go in for iMac.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I too would go for a Surface over the iPad Pro... but it's in a different league really, you can't compare them anymore now RT is dead.

I'm sure it's nice, but for the price (if I was going Apple) I'd get a MacBook, no two ways about it.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I'd love one but no USB's etc obviously mean a Macbook would always win. That's pretty much the only thing I need from my Macbook over this.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Anyone actually had a play with one of these?

I don't know whether to go for one of these or wait for the Air 3.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is it me, do does each Apple launch in the last couple of year generate less and less hype In the uk?

I just don't think their recent updates have been as revolutionary. Evolutionary yes, revolutionary no.

The iPhone, iPad, iMac slim, MBA etc are a hard act to follow.

Z4
Finally 'had a go on one' the other day.
They're on display in JL.

I couldn't justify the money for something thats near enough exactly the same as my current iPad only bigger. I ended up buying a macbook Pro with the missus student discount for £860, a far better option once everything is considered imo.

I think the tablet technology is becoming a little redundant, most people do the majority on their oversized smart phones and when it's time to get serious bang out the laptop/desktop.

Its a strange one really, they're asking near enough macbook money, for something that isn't as functional. The obvious trade off is portability, but a macbook air is essentially the same anyway? The lack of USB etc put me off.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Finally 'had a go on one' the other day.
They're on display in JL.

I couldn't justify the money for something thats near enough exactly the same as my current iPad only bigger. I ended up buying a macbook Pro with the missus student discount for £860, a far better option once everything is considered imo.

I think the tablet technology is becoming a little redundant, most people do the majority on their oversized smart phones and when it's time to get serious bang out the laptop/desktop.

Its a strange one really, they're asking near enough macbook money, for something that isn't as functional. The obvious trade off is portability, but a macbook air is essentially the same anyway? The lack of USB etc put me off.
MacBook Air has a sub port though, it's the MacBook that doesn't have one, and needs a dongle, which isn't much of a hassle and it's really a reason not to buy it IMO.

I had a play with one in Heathrow yesterday, loved it, tried to buy one but they didn't have a 128gb in stock, only the 32gb.

Loved the size and weight of it,name the multitasking is great.

Z4
MacBook Air has a sub port though, it's the MacBook that doesn't have one, and needs a dongle, which isn't much of a hassle and it's really a reason not to buy it IMO.

I realise the MBA has a USB, I was referring to the iPad pro, which does not.
They're trying to sell it to the professional etc, but I fear it'll fall a little flat in terms in multitasking. Oh, and the external keyboard is a ripoff and looks cheap!

dk

911 GTS Cab
I realise the MBA has a USB, I was referring to the iPad pro, which does not.
They're trying to sell it to the professional etc, but I fear it'll fall a little flat in terms in multitasking. Oh, and the external keyboard is a ripoff and looks cheap!
ah ok, i just read it as that was after the air comment.

The external keyboard is being reviewed as one of the best anyone has ever used.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'll give you that one but I did say it was an impulse gadget buy. In truth, I wouldn't be without it now and absolutely love it to the point that I miss it when I don't have it on.

I like my Apple devices yes but I have an iPad (mini) and a MBP13 so no need for this big ass "thing"

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'll give you that one but I did say it was an impulse gadget buy. In truth, I wouldn't be without it now and absolutely love it to the point that I miss it when I don't have it on.

I like my Apple devices yes but I have an iPad (mini) and a MBP13 so no need for this big ass "thing"

In truth, there's no need for anything Apple.

But the want for such a nice thing is incredibly strong.

There's other, cheaper offerings around but I think they'll all miss the specialness/solidness of anything Apple.

Most times I pick up a rival branded thing, it just feels cheap and nasty.

/brandsnob

172 Turbo
I'm an iPad user, we have them around the house for kids & youtube and I use a 3G on the train.
I guess the Pro is aimed more at those who have started to take the iPad into meetings, we've had a few at work.
I'll be sticking with the regular one, train seats aren't wide enough for the Pro!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I had a play with one today.

I'm defo getting one, perfect for web browsing at home and watching vids on the train etc.

It's big but no bigger than a magazine.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I use the nipples out of my iPad Air and it blows my mind to think that as a kid we had records and a tape deck was tech.. A tv that was deeper than it was wide was all the rage, 4 channels, a remote on a fking cable!

Now I sit in bed watching anything I want in my pants on an iPad and I could totally upgrade to a pro although I won't..

Remember sitting rooms became tv rooms? now I don't sit in a tv room anymore, I watch a film while taking a sh1t, in bed, I was watching a tournament while doing a cambelt because I didn't wanna miss it..

It's the future.

Be interesting to know about the resolution scaling. Do you get more effective screen area, or is everything scaled larger?