ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If I wanted an engine conversion, who do i call??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I know what you're saying mate. But as I don't know whats happened to the original engine when the 2.0 bottom end went on or when it was rebuilt, the throttle body guy said it could be easier and cheaper to just start again.

535d / t5 caravelle
Bill!!

I got absolutely murdered the other night by a guy in a 205 Mi16. Absolutely hammered the living pants off me!!

LOL

Did you speak to him? was it standard/tuned? my williams was on par with a standard mi running carbs, ( but i think the carbs had seen better days ) as my mi16 is in a completley differant league again, and would murder both of them easily
:D

Ph1
Stripped out Williams, 205 Mi16 and a mk1 with a 172 conversion. You wouldnt be able to split them down a quarter mile i bet.

53 Clio's & counting
AGREED^^^^^^^^ my old hybrid had no carpets and rear seats but everything still in including dash,glass, roof lining etc, and had a remap, exhaust and filter and usedto run 14.1 @ 99mph all day long with 13.8@101 being the best

535d / t5 caravelle
yeah, i'd say your right, has any one 1/4 mile'd a mk1 with a 172 lump in it? or how do they compare on the road/track to other cars? i reckon they must fly!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Wayne's (the original conversion) Pretty much fully trimmed has been up santa pod and it ran 14.01 IIRC

535d / t5 caravelle
decent time that, stripped out, well into the 13's then, and a tweaked one must be rapido, quite fancy one myself when theres a few about :)

Tungy
Dan. Have you thought about getting another head. Getting it ported and polished and fitting some wildish cat cams and pulleys (whatever you can get away with on standard management). Then have it remapped and you should be seeing over 170 at the fly. And should only cost about 1200-1500 quid I reckon. And get on Clio16valver you biatch!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I am properly stumped now. :(

The 3 well known Renault sport tuner types have all been given bad press to me via pm.

My mechanic is a lazy f**k.

WTF do I do now???? There must be someone to do this conversion?!!

From what ive read/researched its far from a 'simple' drop and go conversion, so many things need thinking about :( Ive got reems of pages of notes ive been making, so much to do

Were you planning on running 172 loom inside? or 172 engine bay and leaving the valver inside loom as it is....? Just took me a week and a bit to work it all out from very little, as my valver is ph2, matteh's was ph1....ive documented it all though, not mega easy like but....doable in a short amount of time...saying that, thats just the electrics though! so much more to it unfortunately, the main problem I can see at the moment is the exhaust manifold/downpipe setup though

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm considering Bodies and standalone atm. I'm that desperate!

That way, I can actually get another Mechanic I know to do the work as he said he won't touch a loom chop and change.

Pissing me off though as my mechanic is s**t hot but its like trying to bump start a coach!

williams and trophy
Everybody i've ever spoken to who has had bodies has had some trouble of some description at some point.

I cannot be bothered with the aggro.

I want to get in, drive, then park up.

never had any trouble with mine on the williams.

apart from the 10 mpg ish. but then. it was never mapped properly.

[youtube]VKh7TZ7GlyU[/youtube]

its first start on the bodies. only took an hour or so to fit. not the neatest of jobs but effective

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mate, If only I had the time and space, Id love to have a bash at it for you

Believe me mate, if it were logistically possible, you'd have been my first port of call!!

FFS!! I'm going to bed. This has been giving me headache for the last fortnight.

If you go bodies and standalone, you're still going to have to splice stuff in to get it to work with the valver interior loom anyway?

williams and trophy
LOL

Did you speak to him? was it standard/tuned? my williams was on par with a standard mi running carbs, ( but i think the carbs had seen better days ) as my mi16 is in a completley differant league again, and would murder both of them easily
:D

iv never had much probs with mi16 engined pugs tbh.

ITB'd MK1
If you go bodies and standalone, you're still going to have to splice stuff in to get it to work with the valver interior loom anyway?

that bit's quite easy though. If you use a proper clubman/race loom you only need to connect a few wires in the relay box, a couple of earths, and a live. saves a lot of headache

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
My Clio currently has the following...

Megane 2.0 16v Bottom end, 1.8 16v head, Kent cams, Vernier pulleys, Gunnerchip in ph-1 ECU, Scuttle panel IK, and its been fully rebuilt.

I cannot keep up with a standard 03 plate fatty 172, so my way of thinking, is that a 172 engine, in my stripped out mk1, would be a proper weapon.

I reckon I can get the whole conversion done and fitted for £2k.

Sounds like your engine is a dud tbh , the valver head / cams certainly will be holding you back loads...a decent stripped out hybrid with a willy engine will shame a stnd 172, about a second difference down the 1/4 mile which is 5-6 car lengths

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwGoJjjzhs&feature=channel_page

53 Clio's & counting
agreed, my old mk1 hybrid with the carpets and bk seats out, with light breathing (no internal mods) did the 1/4 in 14.1@ 99mph so sounds like yours is a lil ill chap

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Dan, honestly just enjoy the motor...(No read the whole thread) but she looks and runs well! So enjoy it!

Audi TT 225 Quattro
hmm somthing does'nt seem right you should be smashing 172/182 with that little setup esp with it being stripped. personally i would look at getting a proper williams head (might as well get it worked while its off ) put on a wilder set of cams then a decent remap, also think about a supersprint if funds allow, id also get rid fo the s**t tb adaptor plate and fit the std airbox back on. that little lot together would give a genuine 185-190 bhp on the std inlet and will retain reliability and go like f**k. stan@ APD or nick @ hillpower are 2 people i can recommend for work.

williams and trophy
Sounds like your engine is a dud tbh , the valver head / cams certainly will be holding you back loads...a decent stripped out hybrid with a willy engine will shame a stnd 172, about a second difference down the 1/4 mile which is 5-6 car lengths

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwGoJjjzhs&feature=channel_page

id agree with that tbh.

even a non stripped one with cams is capable of shaming a 1*2. even more powerful machinery.

[youtube]4sHSPoJKjt4[/youtube]

as for the head losing loads of power....not entirely tbh. this is mine with a std 1800 head and std willy cams again only back seats/spare out, no total strippage

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/in-car-clio-williams-park_68958.htm

still had the remapped ecu on tho....aiding in the higher revs ;)

Audi TT 225 Quattro
yeah best so far is 13.92@99mph:approve: ( 177bhp 139lb/ft 130k and reliable as hell lol ) ive always gone to nick for my work and he has been faultless, he is doing me a fully rebuilt fully worked head atm and ive got a nice set of 285's next to me ready to drop in:evil:

53 Clio's & counting
tbh Jon your not the most gentle driver lol ;)

nice one, when i had L765 GYW, he was going to put in a new set of cams for mine, ones he designed himself, but i blew 2nd syncro and had enough of it and sold it to martin lol

williams and trophy
maybe not. but these cars just loved to be thrown about. the more abuse they get the more they reward you for it imho.

53 Clio's & counting
well looking at the abuse your's have had over the years there isnt a better advert for how long they last! lol

williams and trophy
[youtube]Mhe74CnUak4[/youtube]

about 5-6 years ago.... had nowt but fun driving it. hehe...still going strong ;)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
that bit's quite easy though. If you use a proper clubman/race loom you only need to connect a few wires in the relay box, a couple of earths, and a live. saves a lot of headache

whats this you speak of danny?

i saw an auto electrician in the petrol station yesterday who had adverts for motorsport race looms plastered on the back of his van, nabbed a business card and may well be calling him in the future.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I too will say there is something up. Dan my old hybrid with simple mods ran 14.0 down the 1/4 and used to leave my mates 172 easily and i mean easily.

It even went past Lee's turbo valver in its old state and thats with an interior.

I`ll stick my two pence worth in here after reading all this, personnally i`d go for the F4r conversion. Trying to put overpriced vag, outdated red top`s or pretty much most other engines is for those with deep deep pockets.

They are reliable, those who tell you not never tell you the full story, like the oil changes or quality, or how it bounces off the rev limiter whilst its stone cold!!

If anyone went to the Autosports show they would have seen i think Omex or one of the other well known companys that are getting over 300bhp normally aspirated, the guy said its a much better engine than the outdated redtop and really tuneable.

ITB'd MK1
I`ll stick my two pence worth in here after reading all this, personnally i`d go for the F4r conversion. Trying to put overpriced vag, outdated red top`s or pretty much most other engines is for those with deep deep pockets.

They are reliable, those who tell you not never tell you the full story, like the oil changes or quality, or how it bounces off the rev limiter whilst its stone cold!!

If anyone went to the Autosports show they would have seen i think Omex or one of the other well known companys that are getting over 300bhp normally aspirated, the guy said its a much better engine than the outdated redtop and really tuneable.

the figures aren't right (must have misheard), but you've got the right idea :)