ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If I wanted an engine conversion, who do i call??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a Clio Valver with a 2.0 Engine. Bottom line, its not fast enough.

I want a 172 conversion but is there anyone reputable who can do it? I don't want a bodge job, I want it to look and drive factory standard.

I already have brakes/suspension etc, just need the engine and box.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

SchwepTek™
Wow i'm impressed. When do i get to see it?

Someone on here would prob do it for you or you could try somewhere like K-Tec.

I was down there today and there was a 1.2 mk2 ph1 with a 172 engine conversion and it was in the region of £1000 just for labour!

BMW 330D
Im sure i read somewhere on here of someone putting a 1.7 volvo Turbo engine in a valver.

Last edited:

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
high compression rebuild with throttle bodies is the way to go, or go the turbo route ;)

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
as said above, have a word with GDI, they'd recommend itb's

if done properly I cant see how it'd be unreliable and they've got loads of experience doin bodies

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
as said above, have a word with GDI, they'd recommend itb's

if done properly I cant see how it'd be unreliable and they've got loads of experience doin bodies

Everybody i've ever spoken to who has had bodies has had some trouble of some description at some point.

I cannot be bothered with the aggro.

I want to get in, drive, then park up.

53 Clio's & counting
then you want a 172 lump with breathing mods mate, stripped and will be plenty enough for track days :)

id say ring all the usual tuners and bat them against each other, see who will do it the cheapest, i reccomend hill power but im not sure if nick will do that, he built and fitted the engine in my old hybrid and that with breathing mods and full interior ran 14.3 and 14 dead all day long stripped, with a 13.8 at best

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Everybody i've ever spoken to who has had bodies has had some trouble of some description at some point.

I cannot be bothered with the aggro.

I want to get in, drive, then park up.

Fair do's

how about nissan SR20DET tuned to the bollox??

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
You not fancy rolling your sleeves up Daniel-San?

Wouldn't be too hard a job.

Balls to these 'non-Renault' suggestions IMO. Too much aggro with mounts/drivetrain/electrics etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Len, I work 70 (ish) hours a week mate, by the time I've learned how to remove a gearbox, it will qualify for the antiques roadshow! lol

If you want reliability then i sure wouldn't be spending on a renault?

There is some truth in that, however, There is no other manufacturer that spend so much money on Trackdaysetc. The club/community with Renaultsport is the best imo.

ktec do the full conversion including labour for 2500 iirc - it includes all the gearbox/brakes/everything you need though i think

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
172 lump does'nt give enough power over the f7r to be worthwhile.....just go for breathing mods...and concentrate on weight loss.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
172 lump does'nt give enough power over the f7r to be worthwhile.....just go for breathing mods...and concentrate on weight loss.

Ktec for example, £2500 for engine/box/brakes and fitting.

Fitting/setting up of Bodies on my car: £2000 at least. Plus a new box.

My engine would be at its absolute limit at 180hp, the 172 engine would be comfortable and perfectly reliable at that power, with a massive scope for more.

Punto/Clio GTT
what engine you got in atm willy? megane?

IMO i cant see much power gained from the 172 engine to warrent a few thousand threw at it for the conversion?

i can think of better things to throw 2.5k at

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
what engine you got in atm willy? megane?

IMO i cant see much power gained from the 172 engine to warrent a few thousand threw at it for the conversion?

i can think of better things to throw 2.5k at

Megane 2.0 bottom end, 1.8 16v head, Kent cams, vernier pulleys, Gunnerchip. Its nowhere near as quick as my old williams. I don't want to waste money on this engine if its a pup (only just bought the car) when I can just lob £2k at a decent conversion and go fast from the outset.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fred....

I am dumber than a drunk Essex boy on GCSE night.

I need to drop my slow car off, and collect a fast one. That is all.

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
not just sell your clio and buy a phase 1 172 and spend the money you get from the sale of your clio on it tuning it up.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My engine would be at its absolute limit at 180hp, the 172 engine would be comfortable and perfectly reliable at that power, with a massive scope for more.

There is a shed load of members on Williamsclio and Clio16valver with 180bhp F7R's and that is no where near its 'limit'. The most I have seen from an F7R is 225bhp - non turbo.

There aren't many differences between the F7R and F4R. F7R = guaranteed 150bhp and F4R = 165BHP. That difference comes from a different map, VVT and cam's. This is why the 172 idles a bit lumpy as standard and when you fit fast road cams you get little gains.....

You would do far better in terms of cost to get a F7R with ported and polished head with 33mm inlets, cam's, s/s exhaust and manifold and a decat for 180 ish BHP maybe even more. At least if you had that level of work done to an engine you could have it assessed for any potential problems. Dependant on how far you wanted to go you could also get the b/e lightend and balanced too.

I might also add, before you go throwing loads of money at it why not do some track days first to decide how much power you want.

53 Clio's & counting
oh and look at a willy head chap,maybe a bit of money on your engine might be worth it, get it checked out, it might be a great engine with a miss match of parts?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
There is a shed load of members on Williamsclio and Clio16valver with 180bhp F7R's and that is no where near its 'limit'. The most I have seen from an F7R is 225bhp - non turbo.

There aren't many differences between the F7R and F4R. F7R = guaranteed 150bhp and F4R = 165BHP. That difference comes from a different map, VVT and cam's. This is why the 172 idles a bit lumpy as standard and when you fit fast road cams you get little gains.....

You would do far better in terms of cost to get a F7R with ported and polished head with 33mm inlets, cam's, s/s exhaust and manifold and a decat for 180 ish BHP maybe even more. At least if you had that level of work done to an engine you could have it assessed for any potential problems. Dependant on how far you wanted to go you could also get the b/e lightend and balanced too.

I might also add, before you go throwing loads of money at it why not do some track days first to decide how much power you want.

Ok, forget about the actual lump itself.

Clutch? Driveshafts? Gearbox? Mounts?

My 172 would take a whole worl of abuse and still felt rock solid. My Valver has a 3month old clutch and is slipping already. The gearbox is like fishing for porridge and the car screams its nuts off beyond all belief once it goes over 57/5800 rpm.