ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If I wanted an engine conversion, who do i call??

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I can only go off what I have seen on the mark 1 track days tbh. None of us have ever had the problems you are mentioning above. Loads of members on there which soley use a Valver hyrbid with williams running gear and engine mods upto 180bhp with no probs.

Good people for you to have a chat with is/are Gaztwo and Richy. Are a few more but they have specific track preped hybrids to do the job you are talking about.

Join up on Williamsclio and you may get some more mark 1 specific advice :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I can only go off what I have seen on the mark 1 track days tbh. None of us have ever had the problems you are mentioning above. Loads of members on there which soley use a Valver hyrbid with williams running gear and engine mods upto 180bhp with no probs.

Good people for you to have a chat with is/are Gaztwo and Richy. Are a few more but they have specific track preped hybrids to do the job you are talking about.

Join up on Williamsclio and you may get some more mark 1 specific advice :)

Sound advice, thanks mate.

53 Clio's & counting
i can see good and bad points from both sides chap, if i had the money and i had to stick with a mk1 id go with a 172 lump and running gear, though my old hybrid was brilliant, pulled as hard at 2k as it did at 6k, though after 12k miles i blew 2nd gear syncro, and that was a recon box lol, my 172 is still on its original box and clutch at 121k

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
As you know fella we have a valver with an F4r in it and it's not a vast conversion to be honest, We bought the donor car for 700quid on ebay and the exhaust syatem cost me 300quid. Other than that there's not a great deal extra on the parts front so 2500 sounds an awful lot for the conversion although those prices are probably on mk2's as i've not heard of any companies doing mk1 F4r's yet but i might be wrong.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FPMSL!! Just had a quote from K-Tec......

Someone has been smoking some serious drugs.....

Just over £4,000!!!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
PMSL!!! Moo and I were chatting about this because a 172 into a mk2 is straight forward plug and play and they want 2 and a half grand so a conversion that includes splicing the looms and custom made parts is gonna be astronomical!!! Still 4k though??!!! Thats a number plucked from the sky either to put you off or because they've not done one before and don't wanna be left out of pocket.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well they can forget having my business!!

I'd rather eat the money. I've been Quoted £1000 and that includes EVERYTHING. All I have to do is supply complete donor car. (trying to find a rear ended one or similar)

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
the willy engine is a decent engine fair enough you get decent gains from the off with the 172 lump but i wouldnt write it off. ive been looking into the 172 lump and it does seem a good idea as your gonna be paying about the same for cams for the williams engine and it still wont have the power of the standard 172 lump. if i was going to do it id be sourcing the parts myself then either paying someone to do it or doing it myself abit at a time (if i was in your position with all the work) or you can take it stan give him 3k and he will fit bodies for you drive in drive out. defo get on williamsclio and speak to the people in the know.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Well they can forget having my business!!

I'd rather eat the money. I've been Quoted £1000 and that includes EVERYTHING. All I have to do is supply complete donor car. (trying to find a rear ended one or similar)

A quote of £1000 sounds a bargain and too good to be missed. If someone came to us with a suitable donor car and just wanted the parts changing over our labour cost would not be much more than that considering we have not yet put the 172 engine into the Clio 1.

Our estimated quote included all parts and labour. We have done several of these conversion into Clio 2s and it is not as simple as some people think. On the last one we did last week we also had to install the power steering rack and column from the 172 as the base car did not have PAS.

Our prices also include all the parts including engine, gearbox, drive shafts, ecu and unlocking of the ecu, subframe,hubs, radiator, wiring loom, manifold, cat, exhaust etc. We also fit a new cambelt kit, the 172 suspension and brakes among many other parts.

We aim to carry out the work to a standard, not to a budget which means corners have to be cut. Our basic conversion starts from £2500+vat including all of the above.

David.

Tav

Clio 197
If I were after a car that would let me get in, drive and then park up with minimal fuss and maintenance then the last thing I would be doing is an engine conversion...I'd be even less keen on trying to fit an engine from a different manufacturer.

I just walked away from a big project as I realised that the money I was spending was stupid for something that wouldn't be used in competition. Instead I decided to get something that was moderately quick out of the box and concentrate on learning to drive the pants off of it.

I think engine conversions are a little drastic in some cases...less money could be spent on better modifications or time on track.

535d / t5 caravelle
have loads of people on here not put 172 lumps into a mk1? get them to do it for some beer tokens ;)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
il do that for you ? weekend job if the parts are supplyed

look at wayne go! ;)

If I were after a car that would let me get in, drive and then park up with minimal fuss and maintenance then the last thing I would be doing is an engine conversion...I'd be even less keen on trying to fit an engine from a different manufacturer.

I just walked away from a big project as I realised that the money I was spending was stupid for something that wouldn't be used in competition. Instead I decided to get something that was moderately quick out of the box and concentrate on learning to drive the pants off of it.

I think engine conversions are a little drastic in some cases...less money could be spent on better modifications or time on track.

this guy speaks sense!

although thats me speaking from experience of my project, which has gone on far too long and cost me far too much money! :rolleyes:

Stagecoach Ticket
Would you not consider some kind of jap converstion (starlet , mr2 turbo lump , v tec) or would that be crazy amount of fabrication.

How hard would a Z20let converstion be? there not that hard to do in Corsa Bs and Calibres are dirt cheap? surely you could make that work for around £2000 and it would be ok reliable for a 2litre turbo?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
172 lump does'nt give enough power over the f7r to be worthwhile.....just go for breathing mods...and concentrate on weight loss.

My Clio currently has the following...

Megane 2.0 16v Bottom end, 1.8 16v head, Kent cams, Vernier pulleys, Gunnerchip in ph-1 ECU, Scuttle panel IK, and its been fully rebuilt.

I cannot keep up with a standard 03 plate fatty 172, so my way of thinking, is that a 172 engine, in my stripped out mk1, would be a proper weapon.

I reckon I can get the whole conversion done and fitted for £2k.

535d / t5 caravelle
Would you not consider some kind of jap converstion (starlet , mr2 turbo lump , v tec) or would that be crazy amount of fabrication.

How hard would a Z20let converstion be? there not that hard to do in Corsa Bs and Calibres are dirt cheap? surely you could make that work for around £2000 and it would be ok reliable for a 2litre turbo?

calibre turbo engine in a mk1 would be rapid, with good tunning potential aswell

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bill!!

I got absolutely murdered the other night by a guy in a 205 Mi16. Absolutely hammered the living pants off me!!

My Clio currently has the following...

Megane 2.0 16v Bottom end, 1.8 16v head, Kent cams, Vernier pulleys, Gunnerchip in ph-1 ECU, Scuttle panel IK, and its been fully rebuilt.

I cannot keep up with a standard 03 plate fatty 172, so my way of thinking, is that a 172 engine, in my stripped out mk1, would be a proper weapon.

I reckon I can get the whole conversion done and fitted for £2k.
You got rr graphs for it etc ? Or any 1/4 miles times ?
To me if your running those mods & a normal 172 beat you, somethings not right (imo)

Or maybe you can't drive ?
;)

Stagecoach Ticket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo-Clio

calibre turbo engine in a mk1 would be rapid, with good tunning potential aswell

Yeah would be very fast and unique cheap to rebuild if anything did go wrong and still fairly reliable. I think it would be a fairly easy converstion aswell...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looks like the more cost effective option is going to be throttle bodies & stand alone management on the existing engine....

FFS!! Car tuning is a bloody minefield!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have been put in touch with a guy called nick at 'Pure Performance'.

Anybody dealt with him? Seems like a thouroughly nice and helpful bloke on the phone.

Wants me to get the car RR'd before he decides what to do next.

Oh, and while the car was up on the ramps today, we discovered a LOT of Rot.

This is going to turn into a very big project I think!!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I thought you were implying i couldn't drive! lol!!

Sorry my love.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I think something is a miss. Correct me if im wrong but having an 1.8 head on it would be a restriction at the valve area?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The guy on the phone said that. He reckons the induction kit adapter plate is a big restriction, as is the 1.8 head, as is the puny cast 1.8 manifold.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yea see i think it would be worth looking at a new head? and doing things properly like moving the battery and having the air filter there