ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head unit advice

172 Cup,Gtr,gttdi
Thinking of changing my original unit, in my 172 cup.

Any suggestions?
Ideally with a usb

The car still has standard speakers.

And also what I will need also to keep the stalk working.

Thanks all

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Ive just gone for an Alpine CDA117 - which is reviewed well. Sadly for USB input it has a stupid setup for dealing with the files (google alpine banking). I had a cheap sony with USB input before, which whilst sound quality and functions weren't top notch, the USB filing system was perfect.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-aud...ereos/pioneer-deh-x8500dab-car-cd-player#tab3

This is what I have - suits me to the ground.

• Bluetooth streaming.
  • Seperate microphone which you can hardwire through the a-pillar.
  • Rear USB was a must for me as I'd hate to have something hanging down in front - I've wired this through in to the glovebox so changing device is still easy enough although I have no need for that.

The data sorting (ie; iPod) is also very clear. Similar to the iPod itself in fact, Song/Artist/Album etc.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Wotnobudget?
IMG_1423.png

Has USB, Bluetooth, Video in, iPod/iPhone in, can have TV in, DVD/CD, satnav etc etc etc.

172 Cup,Gtr,gttdi
Typhoon love it...

Mcgerkin that's a big boy you have there....

Think I would prefer a usb at the front.... Unless fitting it is simple

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Think I would prefer a usb at the front.... Unless fitting it is simple
It's a doddle. Small drill hole through side of inner glovebox, push the iPhone cable through, connect to back of stereo and you're away. Means you can keep your devices (iPod) in the glove box too. I prefer that to having it hanging out the front but each to their own.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I bought a Pioneer DEH-X8600BT and hated it - the display was difficult to read, controls not very intuitive and the software on it seemed a bit buggy.

I've had an Alpine CDE-9880R for years and have just upgraded to a CDE-173BT. Both are much easier to use, have better displays and feel better quality than the Pioneer.

As for front vs rear USB - rear USB is neater but not many HUs seem to have it at reasonable prices. If you're not bothered about connecting your iPod/iPhone by USB and just want to connect a USB stick then just get one with front USB and a tiny USB stick (like a Sandisk Cruzer Fit).

Listerine & Poledo
And you can get the alpine leads to keep the dashtop-display working too.....beyond just saying "renault"

I've got the IDE-178BT. I'm very happy with it on the whole, it's a good headunit. The Tune It mobile app doesn't work though and I'm having trouble with blue tooth connecting automatically. I haven't really looked into the problem though so could be something simple and entirely my fault :p. If you've got a lot of music, the Siri music search function is amazing. The quality of the supplied microphone and 'hands free' stuff is really good too!

For the USB cable you can also pull the panel at the back of the glove box out, pull the cable through and replace the panel. You may have to cut a tiny notch out of the back of the plastic panel. I preferred doing that as there's no visible hole anywhere or anything and the cable comes in right at the back. Same thing as drilling really, just slightly different method!
And you can get the alpine leads to keep the dashtop-display working too.....beyond just saying "renault"

Those cables are expensive though aren't they? Circa £80 or something.

Listerine & Poledo
Holy f**k you must get hit a lot, with this inability to listen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FMY8PG/?tag=cliospnet01-21
errr.

that's to connect a jack-plug to OEM stereo.

Here's the cable for after market stereo to stereo controls
http://caraudiosecurity.com/ctsrn003-renault-clio-megane-scenic-laguna-ii-modus

however it will NOT do the dash-top display, and is for TUNER LIST stereos only (on the front of the renault stereo it will say either "update list" or "tuner list"