ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

having come from a impreza what are clios like in the snow

Re: having come from a impreza what are cliosports like in the snow

I think I may purchase some snow socks for my Clio this year as I struggled in local villages

Don't waste your money I've used them in the alps and they were a waste of time, just invest in some winter tyres, think long term they will last you 2 winters at least.

Passat
You said it yourself.

So what about the ice road truckers? You don't see them with chains on every min.

I have no idea what your point is there. Im gonna take a wild guess and say that ice road truckers use the appropriate tyres. They are also slightly different vehicles

Look as far ahead as possible while leaving a 5 car length gap.
Control throttle speed to stop the wheels spinning.
Antisipate that everyone on the road is a moron

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Re: having come from a impreza what are cliosports like in the snow

Don't waste your money I've used them in the alps and they were a waste of time, just invest in some winter tyres, think long term they will last you 2 winters at least.

I live on the edge of the Alps and have snow socks, they work brilliantly on the Clio, like Winter tyres or even chains but suitable for shorter distances.

So much bad advice from people in this thread :dapprove:

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Yup, my boss doesn't expect me to be in work no matter what, unlike some Dick's who I know kick up a right fuss if an employee can't get in.

E46 320CD
Yeah for sure. I agree. Driving style helps a lot.

I've been driving longer than most of you have been breathing. Trust me when I say the day will come when you wish you had winter tyres. It's that simple.

I used winter tyres for the first time last year and could not believe the difference.

I think the problem is Roy people see winter tyres as a bit of a gimmick and an unnecessary cost, until they have tried them then they won't understand how much difference they make in snow and ice and general cold weather conditions.

I've just changed my car, 4 winter tyres already sitting in the garage ready to be swapped in the next couple of weeks. I got these cheap, for a pair of 255/35-18 and a pair of 225/40-18 dunlop sports 3D's i paid £84..! However when these have worn out i will have no problem paying the full amount and i will get 4 more.

This video sums it up for me:

Last edited by a moderator:
  Listerine & Poledo
Clio? In the snow?
Oh, go on then.

Or, if you like French hatches with heros at the wheel

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I have no idea what your point is there. Im gonna take a wild guess and say that ice road truckers use the appropriate tyres. They are also slightly different vehicles

You said that good drivers and bad drivers can't generate traction where there is none.

By saying a diffrent vehicle yes your right, but with trucks they have plenty more torque and more horses under the bonnet to pull 44 tonne uphill, so it's alot easier to lose traction.
They don't use appropriate tyres like spikes or massive grips there standard truck tyres.

My point in this is good drivers are able to drive a vehicle and gain traction most of the time.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
To goodj videos.

Damn it who parked that car after the corner? Especially when i was getting a good drift on :(.

The video of them racing they have 4wd 4wheel steer and prob have tyres with spikes so on a diffrent league to most road going cars. Would be awesome to drive to work in that manner of style though :).

Listerine & Poledo
Well, duh, they're Trophee Andros cars.
4 wheel drive and steering and massively studded thin wheels.
oh, and wipers on the side windows too.

My favourite racing series of the winter :)

40 ton trucks also have 40 tons pressing the tyres into the ground. Great comparison.

Anyway, if and when it does become law here, how many of you will use winter tyres? I'm guessing not many.

Good vid BTW.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
40 ton trucks also have 40 tons pressing the tyres into the ground. Great comparison.

Anyway, if and when it does become law here, how many of you will use winter tyres? I'm guessing not many.

Good vid BTW.

I'll be getting winter tyres this payday. I need to find a good tyre fitter in Lincs though.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Mind you, I don't actually need them since I can work from home and barely do any mileage. I only have a car as a toy really now-a-days. I could cycle to work really, but not in snow and ice.

M3, Cup racer'd 182

Good vid BTW.

Yes ok on the flat, what about uphill when you have 40 tonne trying to pull you back down?

Oh look wotevs. You can go round the houses all you want. Winter tyres are designed for winter. They outperform summer tyres. It's not surprising. If you don't want them then don't get them.

Will you use them if it becomes law, or will you rely on your heroic physics defying skills? I don't really want an answer BTW.

Swift Sport
Oh look wotevs. You can go round the houses all you want. Winter tyres are designed for winter. They outperform summer tyres. It's not surprising. If you don't want them then don't get them.

Will you use them if it becomes law, or will you rely on your heroic physics defying skills? I don't really want an answer BTW.

Which winter tyres do you use, Roy? My new employers insist they won't tolerate lateness or absence due to bad weather so I figured I'd better give some a try, especially as I live on a fairly steep hill.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
My point of this is a good driver can generate traction people have to adapt to the conditions and change there manner.

The problem being that most dickhead don't and still try and drive like complete arseholes flooring it everywhere and in low gears.

If it ever became law then yes obviously i'd have to purchase winter tyres. Untill then if its that bad and living where the exits are all down hill then i'll be more than happy to lose a days wage than pay out on compulsory excess if the inevitable happened.

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme. 235/35 19. Buy them at the right time of the year (summer) and they're no more expensive than my summer tyres. In other words the costs over time are negligible.

They even look good.

P1010569.gif

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
My point of this is a good driver can generate traction.

eh?

A good driver can work better with low traction surfaces, but they can't just magic grip up out of thin air like some sort of motoring Derren Brown.

Otherwise Schumacher would never have seen a set of treaded tyres in his entire career.

Must remember to test this out. Anyone got a set of slicks to fit 172 wheels? I want to see how they stack up on snow when I start flexin ma skillz y0!

M3, Cup racer'd 182
^my previous comment
My point in this is good drivers are able to drive a vehicle and gain traction most of the time.

people have to adapt to the conditions and change there manner.

The problem being that most dickhead don't and still try and drive like complete arseholes flooring it everywhere and in low gears.

Last edited:
  197 & bag o'shit Vxh
Yup, my boss doesn't expect me to be in work no matter what, unlike some Dick's who I know kick up a right fuss if an employee can't get in.

My boss accused me of not valuing my job and not trying hard enough for getting in last year when it was bad. There was 6-7 inches of snow in N'hants.

I called him 2-3 minutes after nearly writing my car off into the back of a bus and told him I was turning back home, as it was unsafe.

Some people are just total dick's about it.

RB 182
Those who say they just won't use their car. That's great. What about people who have a job?

I've got a job, but i walk to work, which is why i wont bother taking the Clio out in the snow. If i had to drive to work I would, I'd just go steady and *touches wood* I've been OK the last 6 years (without having winter tyres).

TBH i'm more worried about someone else crashing into me when its snowing.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Drivers dont generate traction, abrasive surfaces do!

If you hit black ice, dont think you're going to skill your way out of it.

But I completely agree with the underlying sentiment, people should not drive like dicks in shoddy conditions, irrespective of what rubber they're running

I'm not getting any this year. By the time I get back from this shithole desert, and had a month or so on leave, the worst will be done.

However, next year is a different story. I had a look on camskill, and for a 15" wheel, you can get them for around £50.

I will be treating the mrs too. I'd like to know my girlfriend is as safe as she can be while out on the road. Especially in Norwich, where no local can drive, fact.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
This is a female approach...

The end of that was quite scary to be honest, I thought she was going to get trapped under the car. From the way the wheels were spinning she was booting it too!

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I'd like to know my girlfriend is as safe as she can be while out on the road. Especially in Norwich, where no local can drive, fact.

Winter tyres (whilst commendable) won't help the Mrs if other drivers cause the collision!

Winter tyres (whilst commendable) won't help the Mrs if other drivers cause the collision!

Jog. On.

They might help her stop a bit quicker if one slides out of a junction in front of her. They might help her drive around some pleb that has just give it a bit too much oppo. The list is long, and the fact is, my girlfriend will be safer with them. Therefore I will be happier.

Swift Sport
I've just started working for BlackCircles.com, anytime soon they will be listing some good offers on Hankook winter tyres so it may be worth holding on to see what the pricing looks like.

Yeah, if the Hankook winter tyres are good then I'm interested. :)