ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

having come from a impreza what are clios like in the snow

Fair enough. Don't buy winter tyres for winter then. No skin off my nose. I thought forums were about sharing experiences and opinions.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
a) That doesn't prove your point, you said it was the Governments fault.

b) I never said she had winter tyres.

A) My initial post stated stated that most of the chaos is caused by the government not doing enough to keep the roads as snow and ice free as possibly. Once again a statement was taken out of context for trolling person by certain old man.

B) I wasn't implying that the woman had snow tyres on. I meant that if in the future she decided to use snow tyres, it isn't going to improve her driver ability.

But to be fair if Roy says it is the solution then it must be true.

B) I wasn't implying that the woman had snow tyres on. I meant that if in the future she decided to use snow tyres, it isn't going to improve her driver ability.

Yes and no.

Does she struggle like that everyday during July? No. Why? Because she has plenty of grip.

How do you create more grip? Shout at Tony Blair.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Saying that you'll get as much grip with snow tyres on an icy hill as you will with normal tyres on a regular day in July is ridiculous though.

Saying that you'll get as much grip with snow tyres on an icy hill as you will with normal tyres on a regular day in July is ridiculous though.

Are you speaking from experience?

And where did my post say she would have the same grip?

CBR1K, F21 125D
To clarify, Snow = Level playing field... Clio now owns the scoob on the twistez & and the straight, right?

And snow tyres give you no extra grip?

Trophy #387
never driven in snow, not getting winter tyres

sorry in advance for when i glide past you lot on the m25 at 70 and hit black ice, closing the entire motorway

Listerine & Poledo
Winter tyres are definately something I'd get if I had a spare few hundred quid, some rims to mount them onto, and somewhere to put the "normal" tyres.

Didn't EVO run a piece using their long-termer Jag showing the difference between summer and winter tyres in cold, wet & snowy conditions? I think it was quite clear-cut which is the best to have.

Dab of oppo?

completely sideways for 3/4 of a mile.

EDIT!: http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/248524/winter_tyres_tested.html

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
In this months issue they did a review on it. The Conti contact 3's were the only summer tyre being tested with the winter ones in snowy conditions, and it was dead last in all the tests, most of the time the others above it had at least a 100% improvement, grip, traction, wear, braking distance etc.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Are you speaking from experience?

And where did my post say she would have the same grip?

It didn't but you made the comparison. And yes I have briefly driven on snow tyres, not very far though. They do increase grip, but fitting them does turn your car into a go everywhere machine.

That's another aspect to consider. Yes you have the outlay of buying four new tyres (which let's be frank is the primary issue for these tramps) but the benefit is that you use all your tyres half as much. You're not wearing out your summer tyres unnecessarily during the winter months. You also don't need new wheels. I run 19" winter rubber on my OEM rims. I'm fairly sure anyone can get hold of a 16" variety fairly cheaply. They don't want to because they think they know better than several governments, and people who are telling first-hand of the practical benefits.

Let's be frank. Most of the helmets dismissing the benefits of winter tyres have been driving for about a year.

CBR1K, F21 125D
I just get part warn ones off ebay, £90 all in for 15" on the shed.

Normally a good make and still with 5mm of tread... will easily do another two winters.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Let's be frank. Most of the helmets dismissing the benefits of winter tyres have been driving for about a year.
I don't think anybody in this thread dismissed them. There is no arguement that they are a vast improvement over normal tyres during the winter months.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Lol. Thread moonwalk.
At what point? I dismiss your theory that they are the answer to the country's problems when it snows. Maybe you'd be able to have a decent discussion if you weren't constantly trolling and being sarcastic.

I'm out. Boring old man is boring.

330ci, 850R, eunos
I love the comparison between the BMW and the Hyundai.

Lets think about this for a moment, so that RWD, possibly a reasonably powerful car, with very intrusive traction control, vs a FWD Hyundai, probably sub 100bhp and unlikely to have TC.

Let me tell you from experience, the TC on our E46 330ci is a total waste of time in the snow, and if an everyday driver doesn't know how or when to turn it off then they'll struggle. Basically it brakes whichever wheel is spinning, so shifting left to right until it almost stops you moving altogether. I could not get off our driveway for love nor money with the DSC left on last year, turn it off and I could get off OK with a bit of wheelspin and feathering the throttle/clutch. Turned it back on once I was on the move though.

But even then, take my old 850 T5, 225bhp tank, but the missus drove that anywhere in the snow last year (until she beached it in a deep snow hole!!), but that was FWD, auto and had nice comfy high profile tyres.

My point is, it's not always about the driver, some cars will give you grief, but I wouldn't mind betting that with winter tyres our 330ci would be a lot easier to drive in the snow. So much so that if the missus use the 1*2 (if I have one by then) for winter, I'll likely fit some steelies and winter tyres for her.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Mine wasn't to bad last year, It went up a few steep hills ok. I needed a big run up's and keep it in as high gear as possible but still done it. If it's going to be as bad this year i'm not even entertaining using the car for the sake of work.

I'd rather go snowboarding :D

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Those who say they just won't use their car. That's great. What about people who have a job?
I think of it this way, I'd rather loss a days wage of £100+ than pay a compulsory excess of £200 if i smash my car up.

But where i live every exit is down hill.

The reason europe doesn't grind to a halt is that they invest in the infra structure to keep roads moving more than we do and people are used to driving in snow. But in this country it's not worth the investment we don't have enough snow. We've had a couple of decent dumps the last 2 years but before then it was years since I saw snow actually stick even on a back road.

Agree winter tyres are better all round in adverse conditions but it's snow where they make the big difference - again for the 5 days a decade when snow causes problems on our roads I don't think it is worth it.

I'd rather the government spent my money on something useful, like body armour for soldiers.

Passat
Some amazing brain-dead idiots on this thread. And people who have never tried Winter tyres obviously. I had a Volvo V70 last year and it was diabolical in the snow. Literally couldn't set off on a slight gradient. Winter tyres added and it was like a different car. Absolutely no problems.

There's good drivers and bad drivers but neither can generate traction where there is none. Get the tyres if you want to drive your car as safely as possible.

And Roy...well said

182 Cup
Apologies if this has been said previously, but I've seen enough snow threads here to last me a lifetime. Compared to a 4x4 impreza a clio 1*2 will be poor.

I've driven plenty of cars in snow and ice, fwd, rwd and 4x4 and the 182 is by far the worst of the lot. A relatively light car, with quite wide tyres (usually summer biased due to the nature of the car) is never going to be good.

I'll be taking my mountain bike to work if the snow comes this year.

renault 172
thanks for the comments guys tbh the impreza was not very good in snow same as any car the wifes fezza was good thinkim gonna get some winter tyres fitted

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Some brain-dead idiots on this thread.

There's good drivers and bad drivers but neither can generate traction where there is none.

You said it yourself.

So what about the ice road truckers? You don't see them with chains on every min.