ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

having come from a impreza what are clios like in the snow

172,scenic, trafic
Re: having come from a impreza what are cliosports like in the snow

what do you expect a front wheel drive car with lots of horses to be like in the snow?lol

Mine was fine, but when it's properly bad, don't expect them to be any better than other cars.

You had four wheel drive in the scooby too, so I bet that would have helped!

big boost cup

As above really i drove my s/c one about in the snow just stayed away from hills and it was fine

172 Cup

My cup was spot on in the snow lastyear, even without abs i managed fine :)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member

Mine was fine in the snow, apart from the ABS which didn't seem to realise the car was still moving when the wheels weren't.

Good job I know what cadence braking is or last winter could have been very expensive indeed. lol

Tbh, it's not usually about if the cars are capable in the snow, it's the dickhead drivers who can't adapt to driving in the snow.

(not call you one btw, just generalisation)

Okay if you're sensible. But I don't see the point.

If it snows, my car won't move. We got a couple of inches last year and I saw so many incidents that's it just not worth it. People driving like complete c***s. Even my boss who drives like Miss Daisy ended up sliding.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

Mines so low that I'll drive 5 yards and have 3 tonnes of snow stuck to my splitter. If it gets as bad as they say it will I'll be using my van and garaging the Clio.

Breaking 172 NV676

My cup was interesting in the snow. I kept it full of fuel to stop the back end sliding out on roundabouts.

I'm lucky enough not to rely on my car, goto work in a van.

I imagine driving a stripped car sitting on its ass would be pretty bad.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI

Its all about the tyres. Certainly mine were shocking. I had to regularly dig the snow and ice from around the wheels just to get the car moving.

I thought my 182 was crap in the snow, compared to other front wheel drive cars I've driven e.g. 205 GTI was miles better.

Could have been the tread pattern on the Eagle F1s on the front but it was struggling compared to most other cars.

I don't see the point of winter tyres in (most of) this country, we just don't have enough snow to justify the hassle/expense.

RB 182

I dont think im even going to take mine out if it snows this year.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

If i had a 1*2 i'd still take it out in the snow. I didn't do any less driving atall last year in the snow. The 1.poo was pretty good tbh. Still did around 3-400 miles a week.

53 Clio 172

I think I may purchase some snow socks for my Clio this year as I struggled in local villages

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

does anyone raise their car for winter? Ive been saying i'm going to but i'm not sure if i can be bothered... but then again I had to dig my car out last year when it was on standard suspension :eek:

so, either way ill be digging my car out ha, would it be worth raising too?

but... i dont see the need for winter tyres... just make sure to not drive like a penis and stay away from deep snow (pushed a vtr out of a car park a couple of years back while an impreza drifted past lol)

Hopefully it will become law here. Sooner rather than later.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I never had an issue. Like has been said, it's down to the driver.

I sailed, up hill, past a 4x4 that had all wheels spinning, and was slowly moving backwards.

Yes. The driver can create grip where there is none.

feva da frottel bruv.

The rest of Europe is obviously wrong. Consider this; if everyone had to use winter tyres in winter, perhaps the country wouldn't grind to a halt at the first sign of snow. It's one thing being a magician, and being able to cheat the laws of physics, but what use is that gift when the road is bumper-to-bumper? What ya gonna do? Fly?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. The driver can create grip where there is none.

feva da frottel bruv.

The rest of Europe is obviously wrong. Consider this; if everyone had to use winter tyres in winter, perhaps the country wouldn't grind to a halt at the first sign of snow. It's one thing being a magician, and being able to cheat the laws of physics, but what use is that gift when the road is bumper-to-bumper? What ya gonna do? Fly?
Snow tyres certainly would help but the main problem in winter is the governments incompetence.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
but the main problem in winter is the governments incompetence.

and the lack of salt/grit? lol

its the same thing with rain. It hits the roads, and people hit their brakes. Drives me f**king insane how a little water makes folk drive like total retards.

Adjust to the situation and everything will be fine. Drive like an-hero - you're gonna crash. Drive like miss daisy, or slam on all the time - you're gonna cause a crash

Snow tyres certainly would help but the main problem in winter is the governments incompetence.

Really? Many of the roads I use in Europe are mostly untreated in winter. No one has any issues. Guess why? Because they fit winter tyres in winter, and don't blame everything on someone else.

FYI they are winter tyres. They provide better grip and traction all the time during the winter, not just in snow. It's all down to personal opinion and experience really. Exactly why I hope it becomes law.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm more thinking about the lack of machinery to clear the roads and grit them. Even with winter tyres I'd be willing to say 95% of the population wouldn't have the ability to drive an untreated road. Hence why even when we do attempt to grit them the country still grinds to a halt.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Lol at the governments fault.

When we had the snow last year (which lasted for only 4 days of the year, might I add!) I watched some woman trying to drive up a very slight incline in her BMW, revving the absolute tits off of it, spinning all the wheels. Slowly she slid backwards down the hill as I stood and watched her hit a stone wall at about 10 mph and smash her bumper, proceeded to get out to inspect it, and started crying. This was at the same time as some old bloke in his Hyundai cruised on up the incline slowly controlling his car how you should in the snow.

Was that the governments fault?

It is lack of willingness to learn/general lack of common sense.

But as above, why bother risking going out in the snow?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
And knew how to drive in the snow. Winter tyres make it much easier, but to an extent you can drive on snow if you know how.

And knew how to drive in the snow. Winter tyres make it much easier, but to an extent you can drive on snow if you know how.

Yeah for sure. I agree. Driving style helps a lot.

I've been driving longer than most of you have been breathing. Trust me when I say the day will come when you wish you had winter tyres. It's that simple.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at the governments fault.

When we had the snow last year (which lasted for only 4 days of the year, might I add!) I watched some woman trying to drive up a very slight incline in her BMW, revving the absolute tits off of it, spinning all the wheels. Slowly she slid backwards down the hill as I stood and watched her hit a stone wall at about 10 mph and smash her bumper, proceeded to get out to inspect it, and started crying. This was at the same time as some old bloke in his Hyundai cruised on up the incline slowly controlling his car how you should in the snow.

Was that the governments fault?

It is lack of willingness to learn/general lack of common sense.
You've just proved my point. Even with snow tyres this woman is still a terrible driver, so will therefore probably crash anyway.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
You've just proved my point. Even with snow tyres this woman is still a terrible driver, so will therefore probably crash anyway.

a) That doesn't prove your point, you said it was the Governments fault.

b) I never said she had winter tyres.