ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has your 172/182 been reliable?

Goliath I
I had my 182 for about 3 years and don't remember anything going wrong with it. My previous 1.2 clio's caused me more problems!

2002 clio 172
Rushed into buying my 172, 3months ago. 59k miles. Had cam belt done, front and back discs and pads, both track rod ends(one had play in so changed other cos it was so cheap to do) and gave it a service. Was worried cos I'd rushed into buying it but so far so good. Drives ace. Love it.

107 Track Car & C4
Yep. The only things that have needed sorting are general wear'n'tear parts - Tyres, Exhaust, Belts'. Had rear shock let go, then the new one let go too, was replaced under warranty by K-Tec anyway.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Yes totally reliable apart from :

exhaust rotting off,
gearbox exploding,
steering rack going wrong,
boot lock needing to be replaced,
dampers leaking,
intermittent starting issues,
steering wheel melting,
abs sensor going wrong,
exhaust mounts constantly needing replacing,
sump gasket constantly leaking.

Other than that it's never let me down.

Of course that doesn't count tie rods/track rod ends/ties rods,
engine and gearbox mounts all going wrong, and the radiator falling apart.

But I guess it's unfair to count consumables as all cars eventually need those replacing.

Last edited:
  Phase 1 172, boxster
Had my ph1 for nearly a year now and apart from my washer jet motor packing up it's been to notch,

I even wiped out a small deer and it stood up to it with only minor cosmetic damage :)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
But when you consider the age of the cars, if they were brand new...then I'd expect to be pissed with issues/problems...for a car which is 7+ years old, you can't really grumble.

Plus 2½ year :bump:

Last edited:
  Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Mines been great. Had it since May and done 12k. Just track rod ends/rods, nothing to stop me driving it.

2002 Clio 172 Cup
I've not had much go wrong with my car until recently I had a problem with a wiring to the fuel pump.

It has been expensive owning the car but only because due to the age and mileage things started needing to be refreshed.
Suspension, clutch change, battery, 2118 alloys and tyres, De-cat, catback exhaust, solid engine mounts etc

They are reliable cars I have found just the fact due to age things get tired so you spend that little extra to get better rather than the same.

Car just came out of MOT station with a pass. No failures and no advisories. £40 MOT bill has never happened before in any car I owned (I have only owned french cars :p)

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've had French cars for the last 30 odd years, mostly Citroens which were quirky but great cars. My 172 is a Phase 1 and has been really reliable. I've had it 4 years now. It sits outside in all weathers and always starts first time no matter how long its been standing. It's done 127,000 miles. I put 40,000 on it. I've spent a fair amount on upgrading the brakes, engine mountings and replaced the exhaust twice which is now stainless steel from the cat back. There's been a few niggles with electrical faults like headlamp wiring and a faulty oil pressure switch connection but they were all easy to put right with repair kits that are available from Renault.
Everything works every time it's driven and I really enjoy driving it. I use the car for track days and long distance trips mostly and it is totally capable of taking whatever driving it gets without any hesitation. I've done 16 track days in it and drive it to the track every time.
All my family really like the car as well and they all say its the best car I've ever had and I've had plenty.
I've no intention of selling the Clio. It still looks really good and I would happily buy another Renaultsport car. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348283069.487269.jpg