ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Road/Track 172

Also managed to get 120mm inlet trumpets fitted, along with some 20mm spacers between the bodies and backing plate to get the longest inlet possible

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Ive had to switch back to the standard injectors so I could let the engine run to check for leaks, as need to get the car mapped and injectors re-scaled to stop it fouling plugs.

LOOOOOONNNGGGG inlet

Still need to trim the inside of the bonnet where the latch should be to gain a little clearance.

rl7cracks058.jpg

rl7cracks059.jpg

rl7cracks061.jpg

rl7cracks060.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Bonnet now shuts and clears the filter with ease , also drilled and meshed some holes to feed air directly inline with the trumpets.
im also hoping to pick up a sports cat this week to link my 182 manifold to the 172 system

1388234330.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

It is now staying blue for this year with grey graphics up the side. Need to wait for my new hubs to get it back on the deck, will then give it a clean up before dropping it off for mapping in feb.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Nice length ;) do you think you could squeeze in the angled spacers too? It might put the filter in a better position as well as more length

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I'm not sure if they would fit , I had to cut a fair bit of the bonnet skin out to give good clearance around the filter. I will more than likely look to fit an alloy polo rad at some point to get the heat away from near the filter then put a heat shield in to direct air to the filter from the girll.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I've managed to rescale the injectors on the omex and balanced the bodies with a syncrometer so it's now ideling perfectly and also switching to lambda control once the water temp is up to 60'c.
The new hubs have been held up with the courier but I'm away back to work for 3 weeks, so not really a rush now. Hope all the parts will be here ready for me getting home to get the car back together and ready for mapping at the start off Feb.

172 Cup (Track)

That looks like a weapon and a half!

ive just bought one of these today for a track car!

presume its the same Niel A as on SVAG?

172 Cup (Track)

Scottish VAG!??

glad to hear it was reliable. What driveshafts/ cv's you using? They seem a problem?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I'm running standard shafts and joint and never had any problems, think joints can become a problem if you go to low.

Nope not on any vag sites , apart from my R8 I've never owned a vag.

172 Cup (Track)

Nice one, just seen k-tec to uprated ones so presumed they were a problem!

Thats weird, the other Neil A is from Fife and also liked his expensive toys.. Ever had a Porsche? Still convinced it must be you. Lol.

Were you on the old forum "Fife Car Nutz"?

Whats the latest on the Clio? Whens its next outing?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Yes I use to have a 911 turbo , I was on FCN years ago but never posted on svag that I know of.

Im over in Norway justnow until the end of the month then only home for 10 days before I have to go to Houston , so don't know when my first trackday will be. I'm hoping to get the car back on the ground and along to Sitech for mapping while I'm home.

172 Cup (Track)

Ah i knew i recognised the name from somewhere, didnt think it would be all that time ago though.

What management are you running? Or are standard ECUs fully mappable?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

The standard ecu's are mappable but not many people can do it , don't think there is anyone in Scotland. For basic engine mods a RSTuner seems popular and cheap.
Im running omex 600 standalone with jenvey bodies

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

My Clio cup ducts have now turned up after being lost by royal mail .

1389202030.jpg

I also should not be aloud both eBay and PayPal while away with work, somehow I ended up buying oil temp and pressure gauges today which are a good safety.
BUT also somehow ended up with six 15" speedline 2118's :p

1389202032.jpg

Not sure if I will put the prada's off the 1.2's on them and sell those wheels on or if these will end up with 888's or similar.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Got booked in for the 1st of Feb to drop the car off at Sitech for mapping, which gives me 3 days when i get home to get it ready and have a few jobs to do.

1.Fit roll center hubs
2.Fit oil pressure and temp gauges
3.Fit cup car brake cooling ducts
4.Aerocatch the front bumper
5.Set up the pure shifter
6.Spanner check the car
7. Cross fingers it doesnt go boom :cry:

172 Cup (Track)

Only number 7 is required before mapping though?? :D

What kind of power you hoping for? Dont they make around 210bhp with throttle bodies? Cant remember if youve got cams too..?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Numbers 1 and 2 aswell as its sitting on stands with no hubs fitted justnow :), I want to fit the gauges aswell so we can keep an eye on it when on the rollers.
It was over 210 the last time with the bodies and cams , but I've just had the head ported and went to 12.8:1 comp so hoping for close to 220bhp

172 Cup (Track)

Nice, that'll fly. LSD in it already?

Be interesting to see it on track!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Had a couple of hours on the car today but didn't achieve much , the cup brake ducts fit badly but I've got a plan so few hours with some fg and they should look ok. Got the roll center hubs fitted then tried an alloy on and noticed the bearing in one of them is shagged so will need to be changed :(

1390931291.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Had a couple of hours on the car today but didn't achieve much , the cup brake ducts fit badly but I've got a plan so few hours with some fg and they should look ok. Got the roll center hubs fitted then tried an alloy on and noticed the bearing in one of them is shagged so will need to be changed :(
I noticed this when I had them mate, but figured you were aware already. If I'd known you weren't I'd have whacked some in for you like I did a few of the others from the group buy.

Cup In bits

Neil sorry about one of the bearings being U/S. They seemed fine when they left my place IMO and you can't check a bearing properly untill the cv joint pulls it together unless its totally shagged in which case it wasn't.

Pm me your PayPal and I'll refund some money for a bearing.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

It ok Morgan I got a bearing today so will hopefully get that changed over tomorrow.

172 Cup (Track)

When you hoping to have it out Neil?

Is it just purely for track days or you hoping to do some kind of competing?

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.

Those rally tyres look ideal for knockhill, Leave them on :rasp: