ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got a 172, is it dumb to replace it with a 182?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've had my Ph1 for nearly 3 years now, it's not put a step wrong apart from needing various parts refreshed. It's probably worth under average as it's only got 1 key (annoying when sharing it) and no recent service history as the lad that owned it before me worked at a small garage where they did various work, and since then I have serviced it myself and fitted the majority of parts worth mentioning (suspension).

I just fancy a new(er) car. I don't mind the interior of the Ph1 I just fancy a change tbh.

I've been looking at 350Zs (313hp version) and Z4s (270hp version) but a 2 seater as my only car would be too inconvenient. Every time I try to think of a good replacement, all I can think of is a newer Clio as the best compromise of practicality/potential running costs/purchase price. And whilst I do already have the 172, it's far from mint, which is what I'd like.

Am I mental? If not, does anyone have a mint LY or RB 182 they'll sell me?

The irony is that I've run into various 182s on the road where we've had a play, and whether it's because I can drive and they cannot, I ended up being faster than all of them (I can think of 3 occasions).

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
The irony is that I've run into various 182s on the road where we've had a play, and whether it's because I can drive and they cannot, I ended up being faster than all of them (I can think of 3 occasions).
Its because you've got a ph1, they werent called phase quick's for nothing!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Ph.quick is why you can keep up.

Not really worth changing to a 182, have you considered something like the new Fiesta ST? I know it's a lot more but it's a cracking car.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ph.quick is why you can keep up.

Not really worth changing to a 182, have you considered something like the new Fiesta ST? I know it's a lot more but it's a cracking car.

Keeping up is for Ph2s ;)

I haven't considered any other hatches really mate, 13k+ could buy a 350z and something slow that has 4 doors with a lot of change. I don't want anything that's still got a lot of depreciating to do.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
After over 5 years I went from a ph2 172 to a 182FF for just the same reasons as you. Car needed money spending on it and mileage was getting a bit high. I'd also have probably gone looking at Z3/4's and the like but then I wouldn't be able to chuck my bike in the back and go round Europe etc so still needed the practicality plus I wanted a change of colour.

It's not hugely different but I love the colour, it feels fresher than the old (without the money spending on it) and I don't regret doing it at all so I say do it if your still happy with what the Clio's provide.

On a side note I've never had an issue keeping up with the so called ph quicks in either of mine tbh!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Price difference is closing between 197's & 182's now, do you not fancy one of those?

Not really, I do like looking at 197s but it's still a good few thousand more than an equivalent 182 (that will definitely have xenons/cruise/climate/auto lights etc etc etc). I did just spend 10 minutes looking at 197s on AT thanks to that comment though :p

After over 5 years I went from a ph2 172 to a 182FF for just the same reasons as you. Car needed money spending on it and mileage was getting a bit high. I'd also have probably gone looking at Z3/4's and the like but then I wouldn't be able to chuck my bike in the back and go round Europe etc so still needed the practicality plus I wanted a change of colour.

It's not hugely different but I love the colour, it feels fresher than the old (without the money spending on it) and I don't regret doing it at all so I say do it if your still happy with what the Clio's provide.

Interesting! Thanks pal, see mine is on 100k but everything that moves between the chassis and the tyres has been replaced within the last 15k miles so it feels very nice to drive. If anything this is the one thing holding me back as I expect most 10 year old 182s that are on 60k miles or so will still be on original suspension.

Mini Cooper S sport
I only had my (ph2) 172 for a year before changing it to a 182, and I MUCH preferred the 182. I felt it handled so much better and I liked everything about it more than the 172.

You might be better off sticking with what you know though as it'll be hard to find a mint 182.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Better the devil you know IMO. I would keep the ph1.

This tbh, the cable throttle is something I missed going to 182, weird as at first it felt very noticeable but got used to it in the end.

Both just as good as good as each other though and thats exactly why you should stick with what you know unless its an absolute dog.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
This tbh, the cable throttle is something I missed going to 182, weird as at first it felt very noticeable but got used to it in the end.

Both just as good as good as each other though and thats exactly why you should stick with what you know unless its an absolute dog.

I get the whole devil you know thing, but mine is a bit rough round the edges and I want a nice example that I can keep nice rather than a more tired example that will never shine unless I dump a small fortune into it (that I'd rather spend getting a different car with a few more toys and in a colour that I actually want).

£5.2k for LY? You're into Trophy territory with that price.

I'm led to believe it's very good condition. I 100% won't be buying anything at that price unless it's A1 condition throughout.

How much is a Trophy in very good condition?

Last edited:
  E36 328i
I'd try something different.

Never had 2 of the same make of car, let alone models. Plenty out there to experience mate!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Forgot how gorgeous the Trophy looks....

I've already sold a nice LY example to the GF as it has more creature comforts that she would appreciate. Not sure how I'd sell "pimp suspension and seats and paint that will turn pink" either...

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I did the same, binned off the phase 1 for a 182 FF in RB and never looked back. I did like my phase 1 but it was a bit of a shitter and although I prefer the look of the phase 1 from the front, everything else about the 182 I prefer.

Clio 172 Flamer
Fitted LED number plate bulb (it's the small things that matter :D)

Did that from tapatalk, obviously went in the wrong thread ;)

The LY 182's are going to hold their value and the same goes with the trophy.

The 350z's are meant to be mega fun but unusable for the winter and not practical at all.

I would jump to something similar to what you like and have a change up.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Did that from tapatalk, obviously went in the wrong thread ;)

The LY 182's are going to hold their value and the same goes with the trophy.

The 350z's are meant to be mega fun but unusable for the winter and not practical at all.

I would jump to something similar to what you like and have a change up.

I don't need a car for anything other than social/pleasure. Sometimes I go for a couple of weeks without driving and after not hearing anything from DTM and reading some of the replies here I figured for a few grand I could scratch my MX5 itch again. (If I get a 350z it will be the 313hp version and I don't want to borrow that much money for the time being.)

Looking for a boosted one (SC preferably).

Have a call to Greenlight on my list of things to do actually to get a quote.

Clio 172 Flamer
I don't need a car for anything other than social/pleasure. Sometimes I go for a couple of weeks without driving and after not hearing anything from DTM and reading some of the replies here I figured for a few grand I could scratch my MX5 itch again. (If I get a 350z it will be the 313hp version and I don't want to borrow that much money for the time being.)

Looking for a boosted one (SC preferably).

Have a call to Greenlight on my list of things to do actually to get a quote.

:D
Neil@greenlight is on MX5 nuts, he has one himself, it's soooo low!

I was very tempted to get one after giving it a go as I thought it was a lot of fun but could not justify how impractical it is ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
:D
Neil@greenlight is on MX5 nuts, he has one himself, it's soooo low!

I was very tempted to get one after giving it a go as I thought it was a lot of fun but could not justify how impractical it is ;)

You're not wrong about impractical. I used to have a mk1 on tein flex suspension. It was sooooo lowwww. Scraped off the front mudguards on a long corner on the M6. Crushed the chassis rails on the first speed bump along with scraping/denting the exhaust. But for some reason I want another one lol.

Since I walk to work (so close it's quicker than driving) practical isn't a big issue.

Clio 172 Flamer
You're not wrong about impractical. I used to have a mk1 on tein flex suspension. It was sooooo lowwww. Scraped off the front mudguards on a long corner on the M6. Crushed the chassis rails on the first speed bump along with scraping/denting the exhaust. But for some reason I want another one lol.

Since I walk to work (so close it's quicker than driving) practical isn't a big issue.

Then you NEED one ;)

When I borrowed it, I took into the car park and it was comical how I got over speed bumps