ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going from 182 to 197/200

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Can someone explain the differences between the 197/200 and the variants available in each? ie. Is there still a Full Fat version on cup chassis etc?

I'm looking at upgrading but have absolutely no clue about the 197/200.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't bother changing tbh. I did and had a white 197 - the only difference I noticed was that I was visiting the petrol station more often.

S2H

RS Clio 200
The 200 is a better car than the 182, in both looks and performance.

Go for the 200 and not the 197 as they've sorted the downsides to the 197 such as the gear ratios and power delivery.

Suzuki Jimny
I much prefer my 200 over the 172 cup I had. Feels a lot better built and corners harder.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I much prefer my 200 over the 172 cup I had. Feels a lot better built and corners harder.

Most 200s are still in very good order for steering components etc, most 172 cups arent.

The 200 does have an edge on handling, but if the 172 has been refreshed its very close IMHO.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They fell less 'raw' (rattley ;)) but are a better car day to day, and with the Recaros are full of win. In the flesh the mk3 has presence the mk2 could only dream of.

Despite the bollox written by fan boys on here there is no night/day difference between a cupped 197 to 200. Think 172 to 182. The better thing about the 200 is quicker rack on the cupped versions. 1st 2nd and 3rd are slightly shorter to help it. Once wound up they all feel the same, like with any rs you get good and bad ones power wise. 200 has downs and theres no getting away from it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
06- standard 197 with limited options

07- f1 team r27
introduced the cup chassis (identified by red brembos and Anth alloys), had recaros as standard and was available in liquid yellow.

08- 197 cup and cup chassis option iintroduced
the cup is identified by the cup chassis and the black bump strips and black wing mirrors

The same goes for the 200, bar the r27 option lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How on earth are you only getting 24mpg with normal driving?
I'm on 28mpg in my 197 and my commute is 19 miles on A/B Roads...

I easily get mine down to 25/26. It's actually worse when you get onto open roads for me, mpg goes down where it would go up in any other car. Bizarre

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Mine is on 32.5 at current. Over 70 miles of B roads and duals.

Can get it up more.

Better than my brothers corsa vxr and my mates S on fuel.

Suzuki Jimny
I did a trip to Devon on the weekend, and managed 31mpg over 180 miles of motorway at 70mph. Could be better!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
They're odd engines lol.

i did a trip to Manchester recently. and back, motorway all the way up and B roads home, don't think it went under 33 on that run lol.

I'm always sat at 70 on cruise if on the motorway.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Lol, love that.

Does it cost as much as an M3 in any other way? No.

Why do people get their hair off so much about the mpg? I see no other hot hatches that do much better mpg?

my mate in a 197 had an M3 move over for him on track. So that's no excuse to say 'road stories'
on track, M3 got owned.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Fair enough mate! I was genuinley asking not trolling. In honesty, the reason i go on about it is because the 172 (as you're aware) is even cheaper to run. Because it's compared to that that's why it probably seems dear (in my eyes).

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Yes, it does use more fuel than the 172 did. But all and only IMO, it does everything better. Nicer place to be, bigger car etc. so to be the same pace as a 1*2 and it being heavier, I'm happy. I loved my 172, so if this has to use a bit more fuel to get itself going, I don't mind.

i can get 400 miles out of a full tank. Using the petrol light. That's more than enough for me.

i go out in mates cars that clear a full tank in 90 miles (hard driving), I appreciate the Clio's mpg. Lol.

Had a few 182's and a couple of 200's and the 182 is better on fuel by 4mpg for me.

The 182's 'feel' quicker to drive than the 197/200's but in reality they are not.

You do have to wind them up to get any power and that's why the mpg aren't the best.

I'll be moving the Focus ST on soon I think and fancy a Nimbus 197 F1 next. Rare I'd imagine.

phase 1 clio 172
I had a 197 about 3 yrs ago, was a lovely car apart from the documented irritations. Climate kept packing up and poor cold running. Replaced it with an Evo x that is more economical strangely just evrything else is expensive. Clio's are cheap to run good tyre sizes, modest servicing and going slower but wringing its last ounce of performance is grin inducing. Drive an Evo like that and plod take away your license. Sometimes less is more

Clio RS200
What's this about MPG?? Dunno what you're all talking about ;)

My 200.....

null_zps9100aa8b.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Got to be a photoshop lol! I really struggled to see 38mpg lol!

you only really feel the extra weight when you're driving slow imo, once they have some momentum going they feel as light as a mk2

they do feel a lot bigger/modern though. I love it

Clio RS200
You need to loosen the engine a bit. It gets better. I bought it with 16k on it and I was struggling but I'm on 26k miles now and it's not so bad. Around town is s**t but motorways and decent runs its ok. That was the first time I got 40mpg and it was the drive back after ditching the secondary cat and a silencer hence why we celebrated in the car by taking a picture of it

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I only ever fill my tank to the brim before running it down to the fuel light, have done since the first day I got it.

Average over a full tank; the best I've seen was just over 43mpg (that was hard work though), normally I see 34-37mpg without effort, and if I drive like a tool, it gets down to just under 30mpg.

The proven benefits of IAM LOL

Clio RS200
Lol no, "Gorms"
That was the 1st time we got 40mpg that's why we took the pic. Cruise control was on 56mph on the motorway. Love getting overtaken by arctics :/ It has helped getting shot of the second car though.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
If you drive them right the mpg reflects that, slow you get more, hard you get less. If you were looking at mpg figures you wouldn't be looking at an one.
They are a nice place to be, comfortable, quiet and effortless. Have the centre section removed in mine, which is sporty but not droning on motorways or anything.

Depending on your budget will depend what you can get.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Mpg doesnt matter because 200's are that awesome to drive, i love 172s abd have gad a few good ones but 200 is a differebt ball game (as it should be with 8yrs of development!)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 197 about 3 yrs ago, was a lovely car apart from the documented irritations. Climate kept packing up and poor cold running. Replaced it with an Evo x that is more economical strangely just evrything else is expensive. Clio's are cheap to run good tyre sizes, modest servicing and going slower but wringing its last ounce of performance is grin inducing. Drive an Evo like that and plod take away your license. Sometimes less is more

^^^ - very good quote!

You know you're doing triple figures in the Clio - no excuses. The Evo can be a bit too sublime at times where you think "s**t - I'd better slow down"!

D.