ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fmp - Less Is More - 01 Impreza STI

clio 200 F4Rt
hey all

been modding and tuning my Impreza for around a year now, so thought i would document its progress.

So picked the car up around sept 08.

2001 JDM STi, 45k miles, back box and wheels, otherwise standard.

The car as i collected it:

003-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

013-vi.jpg

018-vi.jpg

First mod was to lose the lexus style rear lamps, so on went a set of standard lenses
030-vi.jpg

Next up was an exhaust system, after having one on my old Spec-C, i managed to track down a Ganador one peice titanium system.

light as a feather, and sounds awesome!
009-vi.jpg

009-vi.jpg

Although i liked the design on the OZ Super L wheels that came with the car, at 19 inches, they were too big for me, so sourced some standard STI rims
017-vi.jpg

To compliment the exhaust i added a HKS intake kit
002-vi.jpg

Next on the agenda was to remove the spoiler, as this is a 'less is more' project, and have never been a big fan of the big wing!
007-vi.jpg

Holes filled and lid painted
021-vi.jpg

I ordered some Work Emotion CR alloys, 17 x 8 in bronze, which took around 4 weeks to arrive from japan.
003-vi.jpg

I had to apply the stickers myself
002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

Before they went on, i decided to fit my coilovers. Cusco Zero 2E's. Along with front lower strut bar.
008-vi.jpg

025-vi.jpg

021-vi.jpg

Next up was a set of genuine Genome gauges from Japan
004-vi.jpg

22112008235-vi.jpg

To add to the Cusco coilovers, i purchased a front and rear Cusco anti roll bar, along with some uprated droplinks
001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

023-vi.jpg

The engine was now due some work, so i went for a Hyperflow front mount intercooler, a Hyperflow top mount oil cooler, Hyperflow inner wing intake, Cosworth sump baffle, oil catch can (with return to sump), walbro fuel pump, RCM sports cat 3inch down pipe and a re-map.

All supplied and fitted by Zen. Car produced 350.5 bhp and 316 lb/ft.
001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

I decided that i wanted a rear diffuser, but at the time nothing was available for the bugeye rear end, so it helped me make the decision to go with a Version 8 rear bumper and lights.

version 7
012-vi.jpg

everything off
017-vi.jpg

Version 8 on!
025-vi.jpg

So next was the diffuser, went with an APR grp item

Trial fit
033-vi.jpg

supplied screws in, and its on!
036-vi.jpg

Not 100% happy with the way it sits, so will be removing it and re-attaching it at some point in the near future.

The brakes were the next things on the list. I had wanted a set of AP/Alcons front and rear, but for the price of one set i got both sets of K-Sports.

Old brakes
008-vi.jpg

026-vi.jpg

New Brakes
018-vi.jpg

033-vi.jpg

I also managed to pick up a Genome boost gauge, to go with the oil temp, oil press and water temp gauges
029-vi.jpg

Also mounted my controller
016-vi.jpg

Next job was to finally fit my E-Con controllers to my Cusco coilovers

Strut top motors
013-vi.jpg

014-vi.jpg

Controller
010-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

At the same time i also fitted a Cusco front and rear strut brace
028-vi.jpg

And a lower rear Cusco brace
035-vi.jpg

I had to change the standard bus steering wheel for something a bit nicer, so went with a Works Bell boss with a Key!s Racing 350mm buckskin wheel.

Boss
003-vi.jpg

Wheel
009-vi.jpg

After doing a few track days, and seeing pictures of the car, i felt that the Version 7 front didnt do the car justice, and looked a little soft, especially with the Version 8 rear bumper.

So i decided i would do a front end swap!

I started this a few days ago

so... panels off!
011-vi.jpg

014-vi.jpg

Version 8 bonnet on
019-vi.jpg

Went with a WRX version 8 scoop, as dont need a big one, as the intercooler is no longer there, and small provides enough air to the oil cooler. Plus, again, less is more!
024-vi.jpg

So this is where the conversion gets scary, i have the chargespeed conversion kit, which means cutting the slam panel. Somewhat easier than removing the original and welding in place a V.8 one. but still, scary to take a saw to the fron tof the car!

My old man doing the honours
2-vi.jpg

a few cuts here and there (following chargespeed instructions)
004-vi.jpg

Then chargespeed panel in place
12-vi.jpg

13-vi.jpg

Just doing the wiring for the headlights at the moment, so this is how she currently sits
020-vi.jpg

Will update as i progress.

Also have some more Cusco parts coming from Japan, so will update when i have those on!

Good thread! Brakes are p**n!

Must say I prefer the original wheels and think it looks a bit weird without a spoiler.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You're sawing the front of the car off to replace it with a different one....?!

Enjoyed reading it though :D

clio 200 F4Rt
cheers chaps!

still got a few plans for it, infact i have some Bride seats on the way!

plus plans for a few Tomei engine goodies (turbo, ex manifolds and 2.2 stroker kit!) :D

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
excellent thread and progress, i like scoobys but some reason not the bug eye models. i think my thinking will have changed when you get the new front end finished!

clio 200 F4Rt
You're sawing the front of the car off to replace it with a different one....?!

Enjoyed reading it though :D

its just the head light part of the slam panel, different shape, so need adjusting. so its either replace the entire slam panel, or use the chargespeed kit.

bit extreme for some, maybe, but i felt i had to do it, rather than fall out of love with the car because of how it looked.

Plus with all the bits done to it, would of been major hassle to sell up and buy a blobeye (version 8).

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
the only thing i would change as mentioned is putting the spoiler on but you have done a good job on that car its mint !

T

thecremeegg

Like that, actually looks good despoilered, like the S15s do

Turbos.
Excellent, it looked pretty terrible to start with but really liking it now! The V8 bumper made a huge difference.

Only downsides for me are the KSport brakes, which are cheap copies of Tarox (which aren't that great to start with). You could also do with a flat floor so that diffuser is actually capable of doing anything!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Like it...Although prefer the brembo's, K-sport just look cheap and nasty...No doubt better...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
hang on... you swapped the brembo's for k sports??? are you mad?? i know the k sports have more pots but they are so cheaply made... i like the rest but dont like the brakes at all sorry

Mondeo TDCI 130
That is very nice mate!!!! like it alot! Top work!!

Then again, you always have mint motors! lol.

clio 200 F4Rt
regarding the brakes - indeed, would of loved some AP's etc, but at the time the cost of a front set of AP's bought me an entire k-sport setup. And i was dubious of thier quality too, but i can honestly say that they are a decent bit of kit.

Took a serious pounding at the 'Ring recently, and worked perfectly. Plus alot lighter than the standard brembo's. Although i do agree, they dont carry much JDM bling. One day they will be replaced with some Endless or Project MU's, just need to find £5,000 to do it!

Djw Dave - money wise, a fair bit! spent more than what i paid for it on the mods so far. But i intend to keep this for a long time, so not too worried about money lost/re-sale/blah blah.

.Gaz. - not too sure really, it pulls well, even in 6th (seen a 154mph on the GPS in Germany, 4 up, and it was still pulling). I hope to add more power at some point, but i want to keep it a)reliable, and b) usable. So it will be looking to take it to around 400ish bhp, but with fast spool up etc. Hence my mention of the Tomei turbo & stroker kit.

otherwise, cheers for all the comments!

306 GTI-6
Is it stable at high speeds like mentioned above, now that the rear spoiler is removed? I know on a lot of cars, they are probably more for aesthetics than function, but surely on that they do actually do something?

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Whoaa! sorry mate not only posted in wrong section , but also forgot
to post on scoobynet., only kidding...Reading this you just know the car will soon be for sale.
Who would like like to guess what the next car will be ? Running out
of fast cars to mod.
Best mod ? love the guages the most.

clio 200 F4Rt
geordieracer - nothing noticable at speed without the spoiler. I have always been a believer that the big wing is for looks on the Impreza. Seeing as alot of JDM's come with low lever, and the Spec-C, Type RA-R come without them from the factory.

theathea - not too sure what you mean? why would the car be for sale soon?