ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First car/clio

Clio 1.2 mk2
Ahh right, i'll probably give that a go. How do you get the side strips off? I might spray those tomorrow. I've leant my haynes manual to a mate so not sure how parts come off atm. haha

Jap Box
Ahh right, i'll probably give that a go. How do you get the side strips off? I might spray those tomorrow. I've leant my haynes manual to a mate so not sure how parts come off atm. haha

Rear ones you open the doors, then slide them forward towards the door, then pull away, might leave some clips on the car though so be sure to take them off too (turn them sideways and pull out, the attatch back onto the side strip as it makes it easier to put them back on)

The front ones have a small torx screw that need to be undone, you get to it by removing a little black grommet/popper type thing. Its on the end of the door on he inside, should be fairly obvious if you look where the strip ends and look behind it. Just cant remember if its at the front or back of the strip, make sure you dont drop the screw into the door frame too though as its abit fiddly. (Im not the best at explaining but it is very easy to do)

Clio 1.2 mk2
Rear ones you open the doors, then slide them forward towards the door, then pull away, might leave some clips on the car though so be sure to take them off too (turn them sideways and pull out, the attatch back onto the side strip as it makes it easier to put them back on)

The front ones have a small torx screw that need to be undone, you get to it by removing a little black grommet/popper type thing. Its on the end of the door on he inside, should be fairly obvious if you look where the strip ends and look behind it. Just cant remember if its at the front or back of the strip, make sure you dont drop the screw into the door frame too though as its abit fiddly. (Im not the best at explaining but it is very easy to do)

Cheers, i'll give it a go tomorrow. You don't by any chance know how to take the mirror casings off as well? haha.

Jap Box
Cheers, i'll give it a go tomorrow. You don't by any chance know how to take the mirror casings off as well? haha.

Sure do, simply push mirrors in, then pull them off from the inside edge thats nearest to the car usually.

If you have the black plastic mirrors though their not the ones with covers, its just one big mould. I bought new ones for mine that had mirror covers in the right colour :)

Clio 1.2 mk2
Cheers, mine are the black plastic ones. Is there a way to just get the whole mirror off to paint? Surely there is an easy way to get the whole thing off. :)

Jap Box
Cheers, mine are the black plastic ones. Is there a way to just get the whole mirror off to paint? Surely there is an easy way to get the whole thing off. :)

Yep there is, pull the plastic surround off on the inside of the car thats around the manual window adjuster, then undo the bolts/torx screws. Think theres 2 and then one hidden behind a black popper. The plastic surround might seem like its not moving for a bit but give it a good tug and it just pops away from the door.

Clio 1.2 mk2
Sweet gonna get them white tomorrow :D along with the side strips :D Might have to get some more white paint tho haha.

Jap Box
Sweet gonna get them white tomorrow :D along with the side strips :D Might have to get some more white paint tho haha.

Think the side strips would look better in red really, then just mirrors and badges white. Would be interesting to see how it turns out though, I did my fog surrounds in white at one point but changed them to red then eventually as it looked pants :p

dsc02503uv.jpg

Clio 1.2 mk2
Ahh right, i'm glad you put that pic up as i was thinking of painting those white, but i think they are gonna stay red! haha

Clio 1.2 mk2
Some more pics now I have painted the side strips.

Removing the side strips,

IMG_1048.gif

IMG_1049.gif

IMG_1050.gif

IMG_1051.gif

IMG_1052.gif

IMG_1053.gif

Getting ready,

IMG_1055.gif

All cleaned,

IMG_1056.gif

Spray of white primer,

IMG_1057.gif

Two coats of Appliance gloss white,

IMG_1061.gif

IMG_1062.gif

One coat of clear lacquer,

IMG_1064.gif

And back on the car!

IMG_1069.gif

IMG_1058.gif

IMG_1060.gif

IMG_1065.gif

IMG_1066.gif

IMG_1067.gif

IMG_1068.gif

IMG_1070.gif

Please feel free to comment good or bad.

Listerine & Poledo
I love this.

No sarcasm, pure honesty.

White on Red is looking really good. Fair play to you fella.

Clio 1.2 mk2
Cheers, i'm not sure if it's gonna be permanent yet.
I'm gonna leave it like this for a few weeks cus i'm not sure about it.
But it's only a bit of paint so it can be changed :)
I'm colour coding the front and rear bumper and may put a tiny white line in the groove.

clio Mk2 P1 punto1.4
Bit of an assault on the eyes with the red, black and white. I'd definitely just colour code them along with the front and rear bumper. Leave out the white grove, id leave the white to the wheels.

Clio Trophy
nah im with the minority on this one. the white sets it off. very nice. isnt tacky. stands out and sets the car off... upper boot lip sprayed white i think would do nicley and tint the back windows a nice light smoke...

gotta remember this is your car and your choice. you do what you like... plenty of other members on here who have done something different and not every1s taste.
bumper inserts need done tho either white or red to take the black clash away
:D good job

Jap Box
Not a fan :( too many colours going on now with the red white and black in large amounts, colour code them and do the grande badges in white :)

Clio 1.2 mk2
Front and rear bumpers and mirrors are going colour coded and then a thin white line in the grove of the bumpers. I know the black doesn't suit with that much white. Just not had the time to spray the larger parts.

Jap Box
Front and rear bumpers and mirrors are going colour coded and then a thin white line in the grove of the bumpers. I know the black doesn't suit with that much white. Just not had the time to spray the larger parts.

Hmm will await how the white line looks in the groove, im going to filler than part in and smooth it over, then colour code it :) unless the line looks good as that would be easier to do lol

Clio 1.2 mk2
Hmm will await how the white line looks in the groove, im going to filler than part in and smooth it over, then colour code it :) unless the line looks good as that would be easier to do lol

That sounds like a decent idea actually, don't have the time or patience atm tho. haha

Clio 1.2 mk2
Got the mirrors off today to colour code. Also started on the boot release but didn't get round to finishing it today. Oh and tiny bit of interior work.

Removing the mirrors

IMG_1092.gif

And the boot release

IMG_1093.gif

Started the painting

IMG_1094.gif

IMG_1095.gif

Coat of red primer

IMG_1096.gif

IMG_1097.gif

Coat of White gloss

IMG_1098.gif

First coat of Red

IMG_1099.gif

IMG_1100.gif

Second coat of Red

IMG_1101.gif

IMG_1102.gif

Red and white door handles

IMG_1103.gif

IMG_1105.gif

IMG_1106.gif

Boot release back on ... Will be painting the inner part red

IMG_1108.gif

Back to the handles

IMG_1110.gif

IMG_1111.gif

IMG_1112.gif

Mirrors ready to go on after lacquer

IMG_1113.gif

IMG_1114.gif

IMG_1116.gif

IMG_1117.gif

IMG_1118.gif

IMG_1120.gif

IMG_1122.gif

IMG_1123.gif

IMG_1124.gif

Sorry about all the pictures.

Jap Box
Still think your overplaying the white :rasp:

Inside door handles look odd too with the surronding fabic, I had the same problem when I sprayed my speaker covers red and they looked odd next to the disgusting style pattern. Could look ok if you did the fabric to black using fabric dye (I half attempted this but then fogot to go over it again and again and now the fabric spray bottle has clogged up so I cant use it) but if the door cards are done in black then it should look decent :)

Mirrors are well done but you should have masked off the black part that attatches onto the car really, would be interesting to see what it will look like if you colour code the bumpers too though.

Clio 1.2 mk2
yehh the amount of white is getting a bit too much. I think when I have done the bumpers maybe paint the side strips red with the grande badge part in white. I think it may look a bit better with just small detailing in white. About the mirrors I don't really want anything black on the car now as there are too many colours so that's why I did whole mirror Red.

Clio 1.2 mk2
Decided the white was too much want the white to be more subtle so the side strips have been colour coded. Not sure what to do with the Grande badge yet. And the door handles will be completely red in a few days as the white looks w**k! haha

IMG_1138.gif

Primer

IMG_1139.gif

1st coat

IMG_1140.gif

2nd coat

IMG_1141.gif

Lacquer

IMG_1142.gif

On the car.

IMG_1143.gif

IMG_1144.gif

IMG_1145.gif

Listerine & Poledo
excellent stuff, think you've done right on the side trims, better in red than white.

like the door handles, accented in white on the exterior.

Clio 1.2 mk2
Cheers, I'm gonna colour code the bumpers and front splitter next but will need more than one day off work and considerably more paint haha.

1.2 Dynamique 16v
I always think that the black bits on the wing mirrors should be left alone...

Apart from that, it looks alright. Not really to my taste but if your happy :)

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
much better now its colour coded side strips...

the boot surround would look better red imo though

id just lower it now and then try source dual optics etc later ;)

Listerine & Poledo
Ignore the white h8rz, a bit of relief colour (or non colour in this case) is a good thing.

lowering? well, it's your car

Clio 1.2 mk2
much better now its colour coded side strips...

the boot surround would look better red imo though

id just lower it now and then try source dual optics etc later ;)

Yehh the boot release is going red. Also it's lowered by 60mm front and back. But I will be getting coileys in a few months cus it would look better another 20mm or so.

chumpmobile
i think you should :

deck it, i mean deck it! like on the floor deck it!
dual optics!
badges on the rear and boot release should be red!
colour code the bumpers!

:rasp:

Jap Box
Looks good :) Maybe do the white combo on the exterior door handles the other day, so its red at the top and white on the bit you pull?

Do the grande badges red and the writing on them in white, or simply smooth them over and spray them red too.

Prefer the red side strips to the white anyway, your making fast progress! Whenever I have work its perfect spraying weather and by the time I finish its getting dark so I never have time do crack on with mine :(

Clio 1.2 mk2
Yehh think the door handles will just be going red for the moment. May do the opposite colours at some point. And gonna have to slam it. I've not struggled getting over speed bumps so it can go loads lower. :D