ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally, a viewer comin to see my car tonight

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Good point, why didn't he buy it when he came and saw it, why did he say he would come back the next day?

Good point, why didn't he buy it when he came and saw it, why did he say he would come back the next day?

He did buy it (in verbal agreement) He was coming back the next day when he had withdrawn the cash from the bank.

I went against my gut feeling and phoned him last night. Rang once, then straight to answer phone. Sent a text asking him to at least let me know for sure if he was still wanting the car. No reply.

First timewaster crossed off the list then lol

NEXT

Iceberg 172
Dont want to hijack the thread but with all the talk of standard wheels and how they are near a necessity when selling your motor.

What would most think if the car had standard wheels but are refurbed and painted a different colour?

If mods are tasteful then I personally wouldn't over look it. But any mods still slash the amount of potential buyers.

Iceberg 172
He did buy it (in verbal agreement) He was coming back the next day when he had withdrawn the cash from the bank.

I went against my gut feeling and phoned him last night. Rang once, then straight to answer phone. Sent a text asking him to at least let me know for sure if he was still wanting the car. No reply.

First timewaster crossed off the list then lol

NEXT

I don't get people who waste their own time! I really don't.

I've had many a person phone about my past cars, and just not turn up which is annoying. For someone to travel 30 miles to see it, verbally buy it, shake hands on a deal, and then bump me seems very odd.

Clio 1970000000
If I was the buyer I wouldn't go to veiw a car being sold privately without all the money in my pocket and the seller to be in a position to give me the keys there and then. I could put a deposit down today, tomorrow he takes it to tescos and it gets keyed????

Through a dealer, yes i've put deposits down. Privately... No chance.

I recently sold my Bora privately and bought my 197 privately doing just that. I took a £100 deposit and gave a £100 deposit. You don't know who the seller is, whether you are going to get mugged etc and I don't want to carry £1000s in cash around with me. If the buyer gave me a deposit and then messed around, at least I have something for my time. I have never yet taken a deposit on a car where the buyer didn't pay the balance.

PS 200
Car remains for sale until the first person who says they want it puts a deposit down.

Pretty simple really.

Bellends saying they want it and will return later should be told "Fine - If someone else stumps up a deposit you're out of luck :rasp:"

Iceberg 172
I recently sold my Bora privately and bought my 197 privately doing just that. I took a £100 deposit and gave a £100 deposit. You don't know who the seller is, whether you are going to get mugged etc and I don't want to carry £1000s in cash around with me. If the buyer gave me a deposit and then messed around, at least I have something for my time. I have never yet taken a deposit on a car where the buyer didn't pay the balance.

I see your point but do you see mine!?

I'm not saying you're wrong... I would just never do that.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Edd - im guessing you spent about the same amount of time doing your old car exactly about this time last year!! Is this some summer ritual????!!!!!

I can't believe that has been a year already, but I spent about 5 hours every week cleaning that car. Must have been 3 inch of wax on it. Hope this is the treatment she is still receiving!;)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

With car sales - you have to seize the moment & tie someone in -
I have made a sale & not taken a deposit only on keenest people to buy a car- literally the ones that were fighting to get to the car first-

However the people in 2 minds cant be left to walk away without a tie in-
even if it was £100 deposit it pulls that person back to the car-

Once he left yesterday he had no tie in & thus was free to look on PH & AT to see if any other bargains were available & perhaps something caught his eye-

On a 1*2 there is only one set of wheels that maintain/ increase value & that is really turinis because the whole world & his mum know there expensive-
Same as really there is only one interior mod that ads value & thats recaro trendlines-
Both mods are factory fit to that 'range'

I echo the sentiments of what people have written- dump the gash wheels- buy some standard ones off here or EBAY-- to minimise cost try & transfer your tyres-
Get some decent pictures & go into a bit more detail on the service history-
Perhaps pick up a skoda splitter-

job done-- £3650-

S

I agree a deposit would normally be taken and works for both the seller and the buyer. It gives them both confidence; for the seller that the car is sold to someone who is serious and said they want to buy it and for the buyer that feels safe that the car is theirs and gives them time to arrange insurance/remaining balance. If you're not bothered about potentially losing out on the car being sold to someone else you wouldn't leave a deposit but if you really wanted the car you would leave one. For the seller it also means they can assume the car is sold (with a decent deposit - not £20 as someone mentioned LOL) and if they want tell any further callers that the car is sold pending payment but take their details incase it falls through.

Talk of not giving deposits in case it gets damaged in the meantime is a bit of a weak reason not to IMO (as in very unlikely to happen). In that instance I would say the price should be adjusted or the sale cancelled and deposit given back, since it's the sellers responsbility to ensure the car is safe until it's sold in full.

Also taking the full amount of money to a car you've not seen is something I wouldn't do. I sold my Clio a few months ago and I didn't really want cash tbh. It is hassle and unnecessary risk IMO. It is also hassle to get hold of a decent amount of cash these days.

Mine might be up for sale soon :( Market does appear slow for anything not cheap & economical.

There are still people in the market for expensive uneconomical cars.

Sold a high end Impreza last week for top dollar to the first viewer. And sold my 535 the other day, again to the first person to see it.

Obviously you have to have to approach the right market and advertise in the correct places, but was suprised they both sold so quickly.

I've got mines on Pistonheads.

Gonna try Autotrader next.

Saying that, had another enquiry last night, so we'll see what comes of it.

Iceberg Ph1
Some sound advise there from Steve, he knows he's stuff..

Good luck with selling though mate, give it time!

well, got another viewer coming along tonight to see the car. This time, he confirmed he had an envelope full of cash, so if he wants it, he'll take it away.

Fingers crossed.

Iceberg Ph1
Finally!! Good man.. I told you, give it time. Thankfully it wasn't that much longer lol. Fooking hate selling cars!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Good work mate. They all sell eventually. My record is having a car advertised for 15 months before it sold!

Iceberg 172
I told you those wheels suited the car perfectly and it would only be a matter of time before someone decent snapped it up!

FPMSL! Congrats mate, you can now take the mrs out for a slap up meal!

Clio 1970000000
Congrats mate.

Out of curiosity, did he pay more or less than what the first guy agreed to pay?