ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ferodo DS2500 bedding in

R26
Had the new DS2500s and Brembo HCs(and braided lines) on the car for about a hundred miles now. I've tried bedding in the rotors and pads as per instructions (25-30 runs @ 50% braking force for 4 seconds) but experienced enormous brake fade after run number 15 or so.

Since then I have had almost no braking at all and quite inconsistent braking at that. Pedal remains firm but force it applies seems to change.

Usually I'd allow 300 miles before I moan about brakes not bedding in well but I thought these DS2500s were meant to be track ready after following the heating cycle?

Done a search and seen a few people have had this but not found an answer.

Cheers
Ben

PS brakes fitted by K-tec so I cant imagine any problems there.

Lotus Exige, 182
I had Mark Fish bed mine in for me when he fitted them, but he probably only did about 10 heavier braking runs, from 60mph to 20 mph. However, he also did quite a lot of light-ish pressure left foot braking while traveling at around 40. Took about 15/20 mins in total.

I don't know if you might have glazed yours rather than bed them in, I'm afraid, but I've never had a problem with brake fade using these pads and that includes 3 trackdays at snetterton.

Cheers Will

Lotus Exige, 182
^^

No idea mate, but that's about what he did, with the left foot braking as well. Certainly wasn't 25/30 stops like the OP suggested.

Lionel Richie
who told you to do 25-30 runs!

my method is left foot brake with them for 2-3 second bursts (about 5 or so) let them cool (drive for 15min without using the brakes)

then tell the punter to gradually increase the abuse they get, BUT they must be cooled down after

you've probably glazed the f**k out of them

R26
  • Drive the vehicle to a remote area and perform at least 30 brake applications of 3-second duration. Use light/medium deceleration with varying starting speeds. Leave at least ½ mile between each brake application.
Taken off the Brembo FAQ.

I do think your right about glazing them over, I warmed them up slowly and allowed 10 minutes down a DC to cool them down but perhaps was a little energetic with the braking. They are definitely improving as I've been driving around, guessing gentle leftfoot braking for a while will remove the crap?

RB 182 cup
when i fitted mine the were crap for the first 50ish mile. didnt really bother with that bed in crap as i never have. seemed fine on my track day tho no fade at all and the got some serious abuse. am using drilled and grooved disks tho so prob beds them in faster

Golf GTD Mk7
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

This is what I followed and they were sweeeeeeet. Did it near a motor way so i could go for an un-interupted blast to cool the brakes. Cooling is very important. You need to get them red hot really. So they start to smell, then let them cool. Don't leave your foot on the pedal when stopped (sounds obvious, but quite common)

Golf GTD Mk7
when i fitted mine the were crap for the first 50ish mile. didnt really bother with that bed in crap as i never have. seemed fine on my track day tho no fade at all and the got some serious abuse. am using drilled and grooved disks tho so prob beds them in faster

Mustn't be pushing hard enough, can still get mine to fade ;)

R26
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

This is what I followed and they were sweeeeeeet. Did it near a motor way so i could go for an un-interupted blast to cool the brakes. Cooling is very important. You need to get them red hot really. So they start to smell, then let them cool. Don't leave your foot on the pedal when stopped (sounds obvious, but quite common)

Yeh saw that guide mate. Think I'm gonna go out and give it another more gentle bedding in session, remove th glaze and hopefully all will be well, pedal feel is definitely nicer with the braided lines :D

SQ5
I put some fresh ones in a couple trackdays ago. Went off and done 10-15 60/80 - 30/20 half pressure braking stints and they are fecking awesome! Went straight on track within 10 mins, no fade, no glazing!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
To bed mine I went from 40 to 20 about 10 times using light/medium braking and gently building up speed between each one. Then few 60 to 30s and finally few 80 to 40s. Did this on the Saturday then couple of hundred miles normal driving before tracking it on the Tuesday. Think it worked quite well as I didn't get any fade at all.