ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed Bonnet Catch @ 85MPH

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Is there any way to tell if your car has had the recall done for this catch. I've just bought my 02 Clio 172 and I would guess it has had the work done but you never know for sure and would be good to know for piece of mind. Any way of finding out?

Ask Renault.

so i dont know if my car has ever had the catch replaced, is there a way of finding out?

it looks similar to the pic in the op a bit rusty and old, shall i just lube it and it will be ok?

Renault Sport Clio 182
sorry mate. didnt see that ^^

I can tell you from experience you drive off at a track day without shutting a Mk1 Clio's bonnet, it will raise up and block your view! ;) lucky for me I was able to stop and put it down properly, :)o) but I never thought a bonnet that opens forward could lift, but the air speed through the bay can push it up a good way!

yeah had this every time i went above 70mph in my old valver with carbon bonnet.

172 cup
clio bonnet catches do fail . i had a letter for a recall from renault , didnt bother going as long as u keep it lubricated its fine

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Sadly I know the feeling, this too was at around 70 MPH and had to throw it into a verge... To say I bricked myself would be an understatement !

Stagecoach Ticket
looks like fun! my catch needs sorting big time looks hanging due to the r****d that owned it before me

Good luck getting it sorted

Clio 172 Cup
He's only speaking to Renault for advice rather then expecting them to pay out for his loss. His insurance has already been informed of the problem and has the ball rolling.

When I took my car in last year they told me to bring it in every 3 years to get checked and it would be changed again if needed. Evans Halshaw Renault in Sunderland told me that.

On speaking to him today he's never had the car serviced by Renault, but always had it MOT'd by them. Not sure if it's the sort of thing they would check but never said anything about the catch.

182 ff
simple, fact is no bonnet catch should ever fail, recalled or not simple. You dont by a tv for it to suddenly stop working cos u havent dusted it !!!

2004 182FF
just found this took this a couple of years ago, I knew the OP pics reminded me of something!

oqixoz.jpg

Renault Sport Clio 182
turn's out mine hasn't been done, so its going in monday to be sorted and i will just keep it up after that.

clio 182
Thread from the dead maybe, glad i read it though as ive only had my 182 a couple of weeks am off outside to have a look at the state of my bonnet catch, certainly dont need that happening.

n2x

e60/f10
Theres always people telling to use the search button. Well he did and posted in the right thread so no need for those "dead thread" comments.

I had the same thing happen to me exept i opened the bonnet from the inside to refill washer fluid, but failing to find it, i jumped back into the car and at 40mph the bonnet flew open. Fortunately it didn´t break the wndscreen, only fuxed up the bonnet hinges and put a little dent on the roof. That ought to teach me so be careful everybody else.

ph2 172
I always clean mine with WD40 and make sure its pulled forwards before i close the bonnet, never had an issue with it

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine could be doing with a good clean and lub as its covered in shite but f**k puting effort into it when renault replace it for free, thats what i done on teh dci

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Theres always people telling to use the search button. Well he did and posted in the right thread so no need for those "dead thread" comments.

I had the same thing happen to me exept i opened the bonnet from the inside to refill washer fluid, but failing to find it, i jumped back into the car and at 40mph the bonnet flew open. Fortunately it didn´t break the wndscreen, only fuxed up the bonnet hinges and put a little dent on the roof. That ought to teach me so be careful everybody else.

Sorry to sound harsh, if you couldn't find the washer bottle in a clio, then I doubt your ability to close the bonnet properly.

ITB'd MK1
vast majority of catches i see are very sticky. worst one I've seen was a 20k trophy, pull the release and it stayed where it was on it's own

lube
clean
lube
clean
lube
clean
grease

Everyone says it is down to poor maintenance so can someone post exactly what needs cleaning and greasing? Is it just the safety catch spring part or is it the main spring bit as well?

Jap Box
vast majority of catches i see are very sticky. worst one I've seen was a 20k trophy, pull the release and it stayed where it was on it's own

lube
clean
lube
clean
lube
clean
grease

That means its bad :S I had mine replaced 10k ago and ive been putting WD40 on there every so often and now when you pull the release it makes the pop noise but I have to pull the bonnet up myself too.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Bottom line is though renaults design is shite! How many other cars on the road have this issue? How many other cars need the catch greased every service? they could have used an older and trusted mech!

It shouldnt need recalled and constantly greased! Not every clio driver is as thorough and clue'd up as CS members.

Rant over.

ITB'd MK1
That means its bad :S I had mine replaced 10k ago and ive been putting WD40 on there every so often and now when you pull the release it makes the pop noise but I have to pull the bonnet up myself too.

if you're having to pull the bonnet up, it normally means the catch in your slam panel is misaligned

Jap Box
if you're having to pull the bonnet up, it normally means the catch in your slam panel is misaligned

Was working fine before though, but I did have someone jump on my bonnet and since then its been playing up so they must have done some slight damage to it.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
So basically after you shut the bonnet, give it a tug and see if its nicely secure. If its secure after you shut it then it wont flip open. Simple no?

Z4 Coupe
Went to pop mine the other day and it made the noise but didn't pop up, I had to lift it with my hand, I just cleaned and sprayed up with WD, Might have to give it a bit of a mini service.

renaultsport clio197
If i were you guys i'd lube your catches/latches as its a fact there was an issue with renault but 9 times out of 10 it was a maintainance issue not a failiure as such, to repair the clio in the op properly would involve a new roof skin, screen, bonnet+hinges, bonnet latch/catch, realignment of the front roof stay paint new panels and blend to acheive a good colour match, iro £1k+vat for paint/labour+parts, i went to see a 56reg 197 on sunday and failed to close the bonnet once open'd:dapprove: