ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 box issues

Clio 172 RS phase 2
Brains trust

My mk2 172 is stuck in gear and before I pull the box completely, thought I would check with the community for ideas / fixes.

JC5 129 box with 100k miles on it and no previous issues before LSD went in. PMS shifter and the usual slow oil weep from an otherwise stock selector with short shift rod.

The box recently had a blackline LSD fitted and has since then done 2 track days for a total of perhaps 200 miles.

The first day saw a crank sensor plug fail which cut the day short. It was also showing early signs of being difficult to select any gear when stationery, but ok when moving.

Fixed the sensor and onto the 2nd event where the box selected gears fine but started with failing synchro noises regularly into 3rd and once or twice into 2nd (but only on downshift).

Now the box is stuck in gear and I can only select reverse (with the shifter) but it remains in a forward gear. Clutch works fine and I can move off with extra throttle so it feels like 4th gear.

Have pulled the end cap and notice one rod is partly out and will not go back flush with the hub. The reverse selector form rod moves out when the shifter is moved towards 2 or 4, but only comes out halfway. It pushes back and clicks in place flush with hub no problems.

Pics attached.

Am I facing another box removal and rebuild?

Located in Australia but have converted distances for ease of understanding 😀

Attachments

• IMG_8228.jpeg
    IMG_8228.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8227.jpeg
    IMG_8227.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If it’s crunching, it needs to come out and be rebuilt. End of.

But, if you can pull the selector lever all the way down when underneath it, you may be able to lift the rod pictured under the end cap up.

The gearbox is trying to select 3rd gear, so if that rod gets knocked inside the box you are in a world of pain and may as well pull the box anyway.

FYI - pulling the selector lever all the way down underneath the box is the same as selecting 5th gear. If you can’t get the shifter lever in the car to 5th gear position, you’re knackered and the box needs to come out. If you can, get under the car and pull it down. Then manually manipulate the rod out so it’s level with the other one.

That should sort it.

Clio 172 RS phase 2
Cheers mate. Largely as I suspected: box is cactus and needs to come out. Will be able to solve the synchro issue and maybe do the Megane 5th gear mod.

I can’t pull the selector lever under the box any lower than the neutral/1-4 plane.

Checking that the LSD install shouldn’t have interfered with the gears or forks? And which 5th gear should I be looking for to make that improvement? Car is track-only.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well yeah you’re gonna have to pull the box out then mate.

It shouldn’t have caused any issues having the lsd fitted, no.

I also wouldn’t bother with a 5th gear as you don’t get in it on track anyway. And having had a megane 5th, I personally didn’t think it made enough of a difference.