ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extortionate car insurance on my 1.2!

I am 18 and currently in my second year of driving now (1st year on my own insurance) drove my mums clio 1.2 for a year then decided to get my own.

I worked my arse off trying to save for a new car and decided to get this little beast!! 48,000 miles. Managed to barter the private seller down from 2,700 and got down to 2,100 as there was mold on the windscreen and cat was falling off.

GetAttachment.jpg

So i started looking for insurance so i knew how much to save up. saw a decent quote from a company called quinn of 1,240 pounds. so i started saving with that number in mind, plus tax and a quick service so i aimed for 1,700 pounds.

About 2 months later i had the right amount of money and was ready to pay. Went onto the internet and found out quinn had closed up and were no longer offering a service for car insurance outside Ireland??:S and the only other "reasonable" quote was 2,700!! luckily i looked around for a cheaper deal and found one for 2,003. i still think this is rediculous. I understand that it is my first year under my own name on the roads and this is where i am more likely to have a crash.

All i would like to know is there any one else on here who is paying similar for a 1.2. and also some inspiration for some of you luckier ones who are driving a sport etc for cheaper. ( i got a quote for a 172 for 5,600) :mad:

Cheers guys.
Tom.

Recently i have been looking to change my clio around a bit as im sure i will be driving this car for a long time due to insurance prices. So i decided to go down the rep rute.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?526754-Clio-1.2-16v-(2002)-172-replica.&highlight :)

If you're struggling to afford the insurance of a standard car, turning it into a rep is possibly the most stupid thing you could do.

Clio 1.4s Ph1!
Go to admiral, 10 month policy with 1 parent and 1 grandparent as named driver.

For me its £1600 on a 1.4 clio "sport" thats with 7 months driving experience and 1 own fault claim totalling £4200.

i havent declaired the mods, and i have got a pay raise at work. im with elephant on a 10 month thingy with 2 parents on it.

im 18, in my second year of driving and found aviva to be best for me. £750! with both parents on, give them a try, but i found going through it on their internet site was a hundred wuid cheaper than when on the phone

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
i havent declaired the mods, and i have got a pay raise at work. im with elephant on a 10 month thingy with 2 parents on it.

Not a good start. You're just asking for trouble and the fact that you're breaking the conditions of the insurance policy when you get it.

Leave it standard - get a few more years under your belt and then dabble with changes. Just not worth it from the get go.

D.

RB 182 Gordini
I agree with JackJack, you need to declare the mods on your car, even if it is only a 1.2. If you don't then what is the point of paying out best part of £2,000 as if something happends your screwed! You may as well pour petrol over the cash and throw a match on it! It will keep your hands warms for a few mins anyway. Insurance is a b**ch when your younger, also the person with the 1.4 is paying less but the "sport" I don't think has anything to do with the engine or performance, maybe has a spoiler or skirts but that it hence why its not a massive difference in cost.

My first car was a D reg 1.0 Nova! 4 gears and a reverse gear and that cost me £1,500 for the year!! Unfortunatley it's something that will never change!

As said, add your parents as named drivers pushes the price down, I'm 18, have a Clio 1.2 and am in my second year of driving (but no no claims discount), and am paying 1200, With Admiral

Well then you're an idiot.

No point paying for the insurance at all as you're not technically insured anyway.

You do also realise there are insurance fraud investigators on this forum? When they ask for your info, we HAVE to give it to them. Although your reg is easily accessible and that's all they need.

Try getting a quote with CIS and direct line they dont use comparison sites, at aged 18 i got insured on a mk2 golf gti with CIS! it was nicked 3 weeks later though lol

Clio 1.4s Ph1!
I agree with JackJack, you need to declare the mods on your car, even if it is only a 1.2. If you don't then what is the point of paying out best part of £2,000 as if something happends your screwed! You may as well pour petrol over the cash and throw a match on it! It will keep your hands warms for a few mins anyway. Insurance is a b**ch when your younger, also the person with the 1.4 is paying less but the "sport" I don't think has anything to do with the engine or performance, maybe has a spoiler or skirts but that it hence why its not a massive difference in cost.

My first car was a D reg 1.0 Nova! 4 gears and a reverse gear and that cost me £1,500 for the year!! Unfortunatley it's something that will never change!

The "sport" is quite funny, it's a 1.4 16v (I think 8v?) but has a sportier bumpers similar to the RS but not exactly the same, has different alloys too.

I'm 19 btw,

120d M Sport
Try bell/admiral, I insured mine with them at 18 (albeit with 1 yrs driving experience) for 1100 and I'm generally an expensive b**ch to insure for some reason!

Not a 320d
Fronting FTW, f**k everyone who says its wrong and youll go to hell. I dont front anymore, luckily ive been given proper no claims, 3 years worth of fronting and i got genuine no claims too. I think i paid About £1000 in my first year and it gradually went down. Now i pay £800 for a god damm 1.6 with coils, 6 points and 3 years NCD at 21. Went up £100 this year because i got an extra NCB thing wtf.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You do also realise there are insurance fraud investigators on this forum? When they ask for your info, we HAVE to give it to them. Although your reg is easily accessible and that's all they need.

Is that really true about them asking you for info? Or are you getting a bit carried away?

I have a friend who doesn't declare mods on his car, he just doesn't post up the mods on the forum he is on. Simple.