ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO magazine 184 July RS Clio 200 T versus the rest

Ouch am I missing something? The standard car drives like a treat so don't have any doubts about the new RS version. We don't all thrash them around a track. It has what I want from it, subtle styling, four doors - helps get the Mrs onside when buying new, cruise control - ST doesn't come with that, better mileage and lower road tax than the 182.
For all those who like to spout off about the car they haven't driven yet, it's in your local dealers next month so hopefully it drives as bad as you believe it will.

Each to there own mate but I'm missing a Clutch pedal, I really wanted to buy the Ibiza Cupra but that gearbox is a mess and admittedly I haven't driven the 200T yet but the reports are that the Gearbox is no better, as long as it ticks your boxes fair play but for me I'll be looking at the Fiesta ST.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
I have no problem with people rubbishing a car but at least drive it. The interior of the ST doesn't do it for me centre console looks too much like an early 90's nokia - too many small buttons and busy. I loved the 200 styling and was so tempted to get one but they hadn't changed the interior from the 197 which I hated almost along the same lines as BMW - bland.
The new 200t may not be ticking the journo's boxes any more with track times, feedback and cause it's got a flappy paddle/auto gearbox but that doesn't mean it's a bad car.
We should start to see them on here from July when the first orders arrive.

Equally, you could argue that having an opinion of a car without driving it, is no more silly than ordering one without driving it?

An orange one
So just to recap,

The fiesta is better looking, faster, cheaper, has the right amount of entry / exit points, and a better drive?

I don't have a problem with the auto box myself, but this doesn't look good for a company who's struggling already??

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
You're right but as its an RS, which so far have only improved the standard car, I have faith it won't disappoint - it may be blind faith but it's my gamble. If I was going to buy another make then yes I would be test driving the hell out of them before ordering. I know what the usual niggles are with Renault and after driving the standard one it drove nicer and more refined than my 182 when it was new.
I don't believe any of the journalists have said it's crap don't buy it, it just hasn't tickled their fancy of the old RS.

I have no problem with people rubbishing a car but at least drive it. The interior of the ST doesn't do it for me centre console looks too much like an early 90's nokia - too many small buttons and busy. I loved the 200 styling and was so tempted to get one but they hadn't changed the interior from the 197 which I hated almost along the same lines as BMW - bland.
The new 200t may not be ticking the journo's boxes any more with track times, feedback and cause it's got a flappy paddle/auto gearbox but that doesn't mean it's a bad car.
We should start to see them on here from July when the first orders arrive.

I'm not rubbishing the RS at all, I want it to be the best of it's type and in this mentally efficient world in which we live, where co2 and MPg are paramount along with turbocharging everything (including my beloved Type R), if this is where Renault must put themselves to move forward, so be it, BUT it has to appeal to the analogue age as well or they will alienate there previous target audience while looking for a new wider audience.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
I believe that was a gamble Renault were prepared to make especially as sales in the RS have dropped in the UK over the last four years. So offering a less track focused car may be their way of widening the appeal (the UK is no longer their focus) of the RS before bringing back a harder version.
If they drop the EDC box for a manual how much weight would that save. Drop the ride height and ditch the rear seats, polycarbonate rear windows. Unfortunately I think the rear doors will remain on this current model.
I think Renault can afford to a drop hard core position once on a while so long as they don't go along the lines of the GTi which although there have been some good cars could never live up to the legend that was the 205GTi

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mine was the long version. Like a special edition of your post.

I like that. Maybe some stripes and blue leather to set it apart. Zero mechanical changes.

So is the ST the new RS and the old RS is now the new ST?

Renault need to do something spectacular with the Gordini special when they release it.

See above. Stripes and plasticky leatherette chairs coming May 2014.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Equally, you could argue that having an opinion of a car without driving it, is no more silly than ordering one without driving it?

Agreed, although certain aspects of what you DONT like about a car you can tell on paper, like personally I havent drive one yet but no I will think its too slow just from the numbers.

Or a manual either.

Manual is fantastically unlikely but not impossible. Deciding to add a previously unplanned body style is NOT going to happen. Never. Ever. It would probably be cheaper and less logistically challenging to just design and manufacture a completely new car.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Stripes? Nice.

I predict brakes, roof spoiler, chairs, revised 'box mapping and 220bhp when it does finally surface (maybe with very slightly firmer springs/dampers to appeal to all the hardcore drivers used to rolling in track cars). Apart from that I don't think they'll mess with it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Did someone just say the St had a worse interior than the RS? Jesus wept! It's like a gloss black parts bin special in the 200T.

Can't wait to get home and read it now.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I drove 5 miles at lunch then on foot toured every retailer in the town that sold magazines that I could. Not one of them had a copy.

Several had copies of last month's issue.

"...oooooh, noooo, we don't get our deliveries until Tuesday..."

Actual anger.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Was just looking at how tunable the juke lump is about 220/230 from just a map it seems.
No idea how strong the bottomend is though.

Still think Renault will do a alpine/gordini version which will be more of a hardcore car, making the rs brand more mainstream.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I drove 5 miles at lunch then on foot toured every retailer in the town that sold magazines that I could. Not one of them had a copy.

Actual anger.

As far as I know subscribers get it a day early - I got mine this morning :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed, subscribers only come today mate. I like themag but always download my iPad edition aswell.

I think the Fiesta interior is a bit busy, but the Clio's is pretty special needs. Plus some of the switchgear looks like it's come straight from a 182.

Actual anger.

Subs always arrive before the shops

Indeed, subscribers only come today mate. I like themag but always download my iPad edition aswell.

It would seem that iPad only subscribers don't get their issue early. At the risk of going off-topic FYI the iPad app is sensational in Retina.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Im going to drive both the ST and the RS when I get chance, my money would be on an ST in 18 months though at the moment once its lost the initial chunk of depreciation!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It would seem that iPad only subscribers don't get their issue early. At the risk of going off-topic FYI the iPad app is sensational in Retina.

Yeah I know mate, I think iPad always comes the day after. I roll retina...

Clio 172
What was the lead time?, my other half ordered a new Corsa VXR and its 14 weeks, tuttut

What did she order as Pentagon called me on a VXR Corsa last week, shame as I'll never release on of my cars to them lol.

The lead times is also bulls**t as factory lead times Corsa at present are 10 weeks so someone is telling you porkies.

Clio 172
You're right but as its an RS, which so far have only improved the standard car, I have faith it won't disappoint - it may be blind faith but it's my gamble. If I was going to buy another make then yes I would be test driving the hell out of them before ordering. I know what the usual niggles are with Renault and after driving the standard one it drove nicer and more refined than my 182 when it was new.
I don't believe any of the journalists have said it's crap don't buy it, it just hasn't tickled their fancy of the old RS.

Your my ideal customer.

ff cup ur 200
laps times are interesting, clio 200T 1.33.6 - fiesta st 1.32.9 yet when they put the old 200 round the west circuit it did it in 1.31.9, progress my arse :butt:

Fairly sure lap times are not the measure of a great road car. What's the point in making track heroes if no one is buying them?

Not many people buy a car based on lap times IMO.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Fairly sure lap times are not the measure of a great road car. What's the point in making track heroes if no one is buying them?

Not many people buy a car based on lap times IMO.

But too many people are buying them or not buying them because of lap times! And what Evo say and what Harris says. As i said 6 months ago - people are being very critical over a product that others don't rate - madness.

What did she order as Pentagon called me on a VXR Corsa last week, shame as I'll never release on of my cars to them lol.

The lead times is also bulls**t as factory lead times Corsa at present are 10 weeks so someone is telling you porkies.

​Shes order a bog standard VXR in White.

I bet most people who care about lap times couldn't get within twenty seconds of what the car is capable of anyway.