ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine differences ? 172-182-197-200

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
right so who do u rekon could time in the 197 cams for me

Sorry mate I dont know anyone near to you that has any sort of proven track record with them, Mike from MWM is the obvious choice as the first person on here to publish decent results with them down south but thats miles from you.

N reg clio mk1 1.8 1
i would be prepared to travel as me and a mate are thinking of going the same way he has a trophy with a rs2 manifold on it and that made 191bhp on rstunin's rollers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
RS2 and 197 cams works very well, you lose a little bit of the bottom end, but it really brings it alive at the top of the rev range, that is what my girlfriend has in hers (although she is ultimately a bit limited power wise by insisting on a very quiet twin box exhaust as its her daily)
DanPL6 made 197bhp on his RS2 with 197 cams, and Ive actually done a little more with the map since (ive raised the limiter now he has ARPs) so there might even be another couple of BHP still left in it perhaps if it goes back on again now.

Both Dan's and my mrs are timed to Mike from MWM's specs.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He wont tell anyone else I would imagine, he spent time and money on testing different timing possibilities to get the best results so I cant imagine he then wants to let everyone else know for free, I think the only way you will get them timed to his specs is if he does it (on my mrs engine we rebuilt it but then Mike timed the cams in to his spec, and Dan's was done with Mike as well)

RS172 Flamer
If you used a standalone ECU then would it be possible to keep the 197/200 dephasor when putting in a 1*2?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes, assuming it had the right output to control it. Would need mapping of the cam timig too then though of course which will increase cost if you pay someone else to map it.

RS172 Flamer
Yes, assuming it had the right output to control it. Would need mapping of the cam timig too then though of course which will increase cost if you pay someone else to map it.

Okay cheers, I was just curious. I was thinking of the 197/200 conversion previously mentioned but using CatCams 5504402 and GEN90 ECU to work with the 1*2. I would imagine it would be quite expensive but just an alternative to 1*2 CatCams and Throttle bodies/RS2 Intake

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
sorry to revive an old thread...

but can 197/200 pistons be used in a 182?, just to gain that little bit of extra compression, or is the shape so different that things will collide and it wil all end in tears?

is it worthwhile doing when refreshing an engine, or better off going the wossner route and go 12.5:1 ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
sorry to revive an old thread...

but can 197/200 pistons be used in a 182?, just to gain that little bit of extra compression, or is the shape so different that things will collide and it wil all end in tears?

There is a guy on here with a 230bhp+ RS2 and cammed clio with 197 pistons in it, so definately possible, although I havent yet done it myself to know the details of if any machining is required to fit them.
Ive got one to build next year at some point though, so will let you know then, but it will probably be tail end of the year as I have quite a few other builds to do first.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
is it worthwhile doing when refreshing an engine, or better off going the wossner route and go 12.5:1 ?

Hadnt seen your edit.

Forged pistons are ultimately able to take more abuse, but they dont last as long in normal driving. So it depends what power you are looking for.