ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

en route to Mt Ventoux !

Hi lads,

I thought I'd share with you my journey to the Mt Ventoux with the BG 182. For those who don't know about it yet, it's a mountain near Orange in the south of France that is famous since it's visited by the Tour de France since 1951. It's also the scene of historical rallyes and hillclimbing events. The thing is, from the bottom to top it's 1600m of tight corners under huge pine trees and then fast open corners in a rocky lunar-like scenery. I drove there with my company car during a one month customer project and ended with a damaged left bearing thanks to hard acceleration out of corners and hard braking. Since then I always wanted to come back with the 182. On the first occasion the upper part of the road was closed due to snowy conditions. And then last weekend we took a ride there. What's amazing it that it's filled with cyclists (dangerous when they are running downhill as they can cut corners), fast bikes, sportscars and I even saw a guy on a skateboard preceded by a MG ZS that was opening the road for him !

We found a clear corner to take some action pics on the south face, going to Bedoin. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need directions, addresses to stay and so on I'll be very pleased to help you, as they are other great roads a short throw away. Now the pics (many thanks to my other half that waited patiently in the cold for me to lift an inside wheel) :

From the top parking (the place is also a ski slope during the winter) :
ventoux_01.jpg

On the way to the top (slowly due to traffic conditions):
ventoux_02.jpg

Nice clear corners used for the shots :
ventoux_03.jpg

ventoux_04.jpg

These guys had a different way of going downhill :
ventoux_05.jpg

Running uphill :
ventoux_06.jpg

ventoux_07.jpg

Last edited:
Drove this 2 weeks ago mate, epic drive and scenery. If your staying in the area a while check out route de turini north of nice. For me it was a much better road, less cars, longer and even more fantasic scenery. Enjoy your trip. Also gorge du verdon is worth a shout which is about 2 hrs from ventoux and on the way to nice.

Drove this 2 weeks ago mate, epic drive and scenery. If your staying in the area a while check out route de turini north of nice. For me it was a much better road, less cars, longer and even more fantasic scenery. Enjoy your trip. Also gorge du verdon is worth a shout which is about 2 hrs from ventoux and on the way to nice.

you've got it spot on mate, the Col du Turini is definitely on my agenda (was there for the '11 Monte Carlo rally) and the gorges du Verdon hold some epic misty and rainy driving adventures too. Did you have a chance to try the vallee du Toulourenc, just shy north of Ventoux ?

you've got it spot on mate, the Col du Turini is definitely on my agenda (was there for the '11 Monte Carlo rally) and the gorges du Verdon hold some epic misty and rainy driving adventures too. Did you have a chance to try the vallee du Toulourenc, just shy north of Ventoux ?

Tbh mate ive not heard of that one perhaps a trip for next year. I came off the motorway at capentras and from there to the summit and down the other side. And on to familys near verdon. How long you out there for?

Tbh mate ive not heard of that one perhaps a trip for next year. I came off the motorway at capentras and from there to the summit and down the other side. And on to familys near verdon. How long you out there for?
Good to hear you enjoyed the area.
I live 2 hours south but it was the first time I could decently have fun w/ the 182. la vallee du Toulourenc is north of Mt Ventoux, it's the D40 between Vaison-la-Romaine and Montbrun-les-bains. It's almost flat and straight but it's narrow and blends great 2nd gear corners with smooth asphalt.