ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 3.0 ITB Race Build

Re: E36 Track Day Hack (v2)

After being given a fortune this morning..

10369437_673710562682706_2113245178_n_zps1967b226.jpg

:clown: Had plenty of clear lapping. Engine is great. Brakes are great. Tyres lasted well. Track was pretty quiet too for once, had a few good runs with some other cars that were on too. Plenty video footage, will upload at some point soon.

Best lapping I had was with the turbo'd G40 Polo on a few occasions, was going well!

The only issue I had really was Oil Temperature reading very high, but I think the sender might be heating up in the housing where its located, as soon as you drive slower with less RPM it drops on the gauge very quickly. Its in the stock M3 location, so need to do some research really.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Best lapping I had was with the turbo'd G40 Polo on a few occasions, was going well!

The only issue I had really was Oil Temperature reading very high, but I think the sender might be heating up in the housing where its located, as soon as you drive slower with less RPM it drops on the gauge very quickly. Its in the stock M3 location, so need to do some research really.

A mate of mine had an e36 m3 evo that did this as well mate. What sort of temperatures are you seeing?

A mate of mine had an e36 m3 evo that did this as well mate. What sort of temperatures are you seeing?

The gauge (digital) consistently sat at 117.5-120.0C yesterday once it had a few laps to warm up. If you did 1/2 a lap at a slower pace, the temperature would drop by 10.0C almost immediately. I really don't think its anywhere near 120C - oil cooler is hot as expected, but engine does not get any more tappy, or sound/perform any different.

The ally M3 oil filter housing has the sender screwed into it, in the stock M3 location (back of the housing). Highest oil pressure is right here too, that gallery is directly off the oil pump. Im not entirely sure how the sender works, but I assume the temperature of the housing/metal around it has an effect on its reading. I doubt the oil can drop temperature as quick as it does whilst still running (albeit a bit slower pace). Im not sure what the solution is yet though, having it on its own line isn't much good as its not getting a 'flow', so il have to look into it.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

The gauge (digital) consistently sat at 117.5-120.0C yesterday once it had a few laps to warm up. If you did 1/2 a lap at a slower pace, the temperature would drop by 10.0C almost immediately. I really don't think its anywhere near 120C - oil cooler is hot as expected, but engine does not get any more tappy, or sound/perform any different.

The ally M3 oil filter housing has the sender screwed into it, in the stock M3 location (back of the housing). Highest oil pressure is right here too, that gallery is directly off the oil pump. Im not entirely sure how the sender works, but I assume the temperature of the housing/metal around it has an effect on its reading. I doubt the oil can drop temperature as quick as it does whilst still running (albeit a bit slower pace). Im not sure what the solution is yet though, having it on its own line isn't much good as its not getting a 'flow', so il have to look into it.
Providing your running decent oil (which I'm sure you are) I wouldn't worry about it so much tbh mate. Having oil at that sort of temperature is acceptable. It's when you start tipping the scales at 130+ you want to be worrying.

I just run a recommended 40 weight (as per BMW spec), nothing thin or special etc. I have the gauge programmed to show its first red indicator at 122C, never saw that throughout the day! Id imagine an M3 would run hotter anyway with higher RPMs and more power? Wouldn't like to run any M/S50 based engine without a cooler mind!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

I just run a recommended 40 weight (as per BMW spec), nothing thin or special etc. I have the gauge programmed to show its first red indicator at 122C, never saw that throughout the day! Id imagine an M3 would run hotter anyway with higher RPMs and more power? Wouldn't like to run any M/S50 based engine without a cooler mind!
My mates m3 evo consistently ran at 125 degrees on trackdays and tourist laps at the ring. He never had any issues with it at all, but he did religiously run the car on castrol Rs 10/60 which is what BMW recommend in all M cars (now castrol edge)

Agreed I wouldn't be worried at 120 :) also when I look at my data from a race its amazing how quickly the oil temp drops as soon as the engine isn't working flat out.

Yeah, probably less than a minute before it drops by 10C, not long at all. To be honest i'm not so much worried about the temperature in general, its just pressure I usually watch. Pressure peaks at 2800rpm and holds all the way to the top end, which never changed no matter how long you ran it hard for, so it cant be thinning out much at all anyway.

Il do a bit of an update in a couple of days, but will just leave this here for now. Engine is fantastic in comparison to the old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeENvTBXljY

Last edited by a moderator:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

really looking forward to oulton in august, looks a great track

nice laps there too Jord :)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Looks nice and predictable when on it as well.

Cheers for the comments everyone. Its not perfectly geared for Oulton really, as it runs out of RPM in 3rd after Shell, then really needs dropping to 2nd to pull up over the hill quicker. Not something that needs changing mind, fine how it is!

Couple of other clips and clean laps up now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33OFQ0PnGk

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, he missed it all, well saved. I'm not sure what forum he was from, but he knew who I was lol.

Yeah, he missed it all, well saved. I'm not sure what forum he was from, but he knew who I was lol.

Looks like an proper car you've built there. Seems to be absolutely flying.

Flies past those Clios like they're nothing. What power does it have? I must have missed it...

Good driving too.

Looks like an proper car you've built there. Seems to be absolutely flying.

Flies past those Clios like they're nothing. What power does it have? I must have missed it...

Good driving too.

Not sure to be honest. The old 200k+ mile motor pulled 216hp/205lbft, that was before the M3 Exhaust Manifolds, M20 Flywheel, etc, though.

The new engine feels like it has much more torque (and power), I'd hazard a guess at 230-235hp. Might RR it on the same rollers one day, but its much better either way.

Not sure to be honest. The old 200k+ mile motor pulled 216hp/205lbft, that was before the M3 Exhaust Manifolds, M20 Flywheel, etc, though.

The new engine feels like it has much more torque (and power), I'd hazard a guess at 230-235hp. Might RR it on the same rollers one day, but its much better either way.

Awesome, certainly looks to go very well.

Didn't really know that power was possible from this engine.

Awesome, certainly looks to go very well.

Didn't really know that power was possible from this engine.

People have hit 250hp with a proper live map and the US spec M3 cams, but thats about the limit. Not really worth it IMO, I've done the majority of the bolt on mods now and already have a mapped ECU. I don't to be spending big cash to get 10hp, if that. If I really wanted more power the best HP .vs. £ is a turbo, as its a very common mod, and power can be doubled on standard internals with great reliability, as the 328 shares forged internal components that the M3 has from factory.

The block and heads are pretty much identical, just slightly different sized internals/strokes to get the capacity/power differences. Not bad when considering the Euro 3.0 M3 is 280hp, its not all that far behind.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

Built yourself an awesome car mate.. Didn't catch you on track so must be quick ;)

Unsure. It had a lumpy idle after lunch but thought nothing of it to be honest as it was fine through the revs and still smooth. Drove it home... Then swapped out the coilpack/plug but no different. Had it on INPA but no fault codes, just cylinder 1 showing rough running.

Just compression tested it and cylinder 1 was the above, the rest 14bar. Something internally must be amiss, but I've not got a leak down tester to check with any detail

a3etunuz.jpg

Not far off ready to come out. I think it might be a head gasket issue... Oil on the block in various places and oil in the coolant. Great!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

Unsure. It had a lumpy idle after lunch but thought nothing of it to be honest as it was fine through the revs and still smooth. Drove it home... Then swapped out the coilpack/plug but no different. Had it on INPA but no fault codes, just cylinder 1 showing rough running.

Just compression tested it and cylinder 1 was the above, the rest 14bar. Something internally must be amiss, but I've not got a leak down tester to check with any detail

I've got a leak down tester mate if you need it

I've got a leak down tester mate if you need it

Oh, cool. Im lifting it out tomorrow so once I've got chance to look at it il let you know, might be worth a try before I lift the head off.