ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 3.0 ITB Race Build

Re: E36 Track Day Hack (v2)

Glad this is now working out for you and decent progress this weekend. I've got an M54 sat in a shell if the 50/52 doesn't work out.

Good progress Jord. See you're building a collection of Bimmer bits as big as you did with Clio bits. Lol. Many trackdays planned for next few months?

Its worse than the Clio days, I've got an entire engines worth of spares lying about from the M50, and a couple of blocks. One other cast iron block that is good which I'l keep. Entire rear original rear subframe assembly, and tons more. Luckily its not kept at home or it would all be in the bin!

Nothing planned really. Probably do one in May sometime, want to get it out soon-ish if the new engine is all good once it goes in.

Glad this is now working out for you and decent progress this weekend. I've got an M54 sat in a shell if the 50/52 doesn't work out.

Quite common to do the M54 crank/rods/pistons into an M52/50 to get a 'cheap' 3.0L, and a lot better torque delivery due to the longer stroke, but its the messing about with mapping a standard ECU to suit etc which I can't be bothered with. If I already had aftermarket management it would be a perfect change to make, but I've stuck with the 2.8L to keep it simple with the map I've already got etc.

Finished it off today, started with fitting the new crank seal to the flywheel end..

IMG_9936_zps518c53a2.jpg

Then the crank seal on the timing end, along with the crank pulley and a new crank bolt. Torqued up to 450NM.

IMG_9937_zps33a4947f.jpg

Fitted a new metal impeller waterpump and seal..

IMG_9938_zps3ed1acb5.jpg

Then the crank pulley/timing ring itself, waterpump pulley and metal thermostat housing with new seals and a new 88C thermostat..

IMG_9943_zps94804984.jpg

Fitted a couple of other bits, knock sensors, coolant temperature sensor and coolant return to the head..

IMG_9942_zps476805a9.jpg

Lastly the rocker cover went on with a new gasket and torqued it down..

IMG_9941_zpsedec7b7a.jpg

...and there it is. One new M52/M50 hybrid engine ready to drop in. A few bits will be swapped from the current engine when its removed - oil filter housing/oil cooler, single mass flywheel and clutch, inlet manifold, exhaust manifolds etc.

The plan is to do the swap next weekend, but Im thinking of pulling some un-required bits from the engine bay and painting it between, so it might stay out for a week. Will have to see later this week.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

Good work mate.

Once again thanks for the help on Friday. Shame the E36 wasn't there would have loved to stick around and learn as you did this...

Bloody brilliant mate. .. Oulton May 27th?

Possibly, there isn't much else on in May, well on the right day anyway. I'll see how I get on with the new engine and running it in, then go from there. All being well it should be fine..

Had a free afternoon today so removed everything leaving just the engine ready to lift out..

abu4udyb.jpg

Hopefully get to do the actual swap at the weekend :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

If you need someone to make brews I'd love to get involved. ..

If you need someone to make brews I'd love to get involved. ..

Don't drink tea but anything else then yeah, lol!

So during the week I did a few bits. Put some new spark plugs in, coilpacks on, cleaned and painted oil filter housing, new oil filter, some of the ancillaries on, etc. Saturday I got the old engine ready to lift out - removed exhaust, propshaft, wiring, inlet manifold, etc as mentioned above. Couple of hours later..

IMG_9945_zpsaa66ccdf.jpg

Removed the gearbox from the old engine, then the clutch and flywheel.

IMG_9948_zps184215c0.jpg

IMG_9947_zps39f86100.jpg

Fitted the solid water pipe to the block, then the oil setup/vanos feed/oil pressure sender much tidier than last time..

IMG_9950_zps23d27d66.jpg

Engine bay was gunk'd and jetwashed, came up OK. Gave the visible parts some fresh paint too.

IMG_9949_zpsfac09b5e.jpg

IMG_9957_zps18aead40.jpg

Flywheel and clutch then onto the new engine..

IMG_9951_zpse65a4fee.jpg

Then fitted the M3 (ZF 5FD 310Z) gearbox, which I had previously cleaned and painted. Also fitted a new pivot bushing and retainer to this..

IMG_9952_zps3b268245.jpg

IMG_9956_zps26f80d7b.jpg

Lastly fitted the M3 manifolds with new nuts (as it was such a PITA to fit these with the engine in the car!)..

IMG_9953_zps977ced74.jpg

IMG_9954_zpsdda42426.jpg

IMG_9955_zps882a9a06.jpg

Finally..

IMG_9959_zps8779e214.jpg

IMG_9958_zps909ef83a.jpg

It was no easier putting the damn thing in with the manifolds fitted, took a long while. Just as hard as fitting the manifolds once in place, but got there in the end. By this time it was dark and enough had been done for the day!

Started by getting the gearbox and engine mounts fully bolted up today, then connected the prop shaft, exhaust and a few other bits under the car. Had to replace the clutch slave cylinder after the old one fell apart when removing it from the old gearbox. Fitted this also.

Tidied up the loom, connected and routed all the connections up properly. Connected the remaining coolant hoses with new clips. Cleaned the PAS reservoir and hoses.

IMG_9960_zps3a52d6c9.jpg

Next up was the inlet manifold, crankcase breather, injectors, fuel lines, etc. Connected the oil cooler/lines and various other connectors..

IMG_9961_zpsc813eee3.jpg

Gone to a 19 row cooler, up from 16 row. Also going to be mounted sideways, with the inlet at the bottom, so it can't drain empty when the engine is off (giving incorrect dipstick reading)..

IMG_9962_zps3867c2f9.jpg

Loosely assembled the front end to get the radiator and upper hoses in place. Changed one of the oil line fittings to a straight instead of a 90 degree, then got in approximate position (mounts are yet to be done).

IMG_9966_zps098cdd80.jpg

IMG_9968_zps27b6c2d2.jpg

IMG_9973_zps90dfedf0.jpg

IMG_9969_zps12d7eb23.jpg

Filled the engine with oil (mineral for running in), coolant system with water (for now) and lastly some PAS fluid. Disconnected ECU and cranked the engine over for a while to build some oil pressure. Checked the oil again and all OK. Then..

:clap:

Ran it for a couple of minutes and no leaks, oil or water. Very smooth and all seems well. Very good oil pressure too. Just need to bleed the clutch, reassemble the front end and adjust the gear lever (M3 gearbox must be in a slightly different position). Then the running in can start!

Last edited by a moderator:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Great progress. Nice to see it all coming together after all the set backs you've had. Look forward to seeing it at Oulton on the 27th.

Did notice something sounds a little whiney on idle though, assume it's just PAS pump or Alternator?

Yeah, could be the aux tensioner too. I've not fitted the newer one yet, or the new auxiliary belt. Just wanted to run it and check for any leaks/issues first etc. Was pretty quiet after about 10 minutes, needs driving to properly fill the hydraulic lifters too though, and need to put some load on it/run it in rather than just run it on the drive!

Hopefully yeah. The M3 box is an unknown, will have to see how it goes once its driven. Worst case I've still got the 200k+ 328i (basically the same box) if there are any major problems. Want to get a good 500mile+ on it and then drain the mineral oil, should have a good idea of how well it is then.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

A mate of mine is breaking a 328, I'm sure you have everything and spares but thought id mention it..

I have a stupid amount of spares, but... I am after a few bits. Can you find out what colour it is and what colour interior its got?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

The car is green mate and i got 1.red and 1 cream interior for a coupe
was his reply

Said he has a spare engine and box too mate.

Got too many engine bits! I'm after the heater control valve from the bulkhead (engine bay side) as mine has a broken connector and a grey glovebox if he has a dash that was that colour..

Had a couple of hours spare earlier, finished the oil cooler mounts. With it now being on its side, instead of upside down, I had to start again. The top was easy, some 90 degree 6mm plate and a few holes. The lower two from 3mm bar bent to shape. I wanted to put something soft between the mounts/cooler, so originally spent ages searching for rubber washers. Eventually realised an internal tap washer is the same sort of thing, and works perfectly for the M6 bolts.

IMG_9984_zps1cd2acc4.jpg

IMG_9976_zpsd58d8410.jpg

IMG_9977_zps2d0041f7.jpg

IMG_9979_zpse4e5a63b.jpg

IMG_9980_zpsc3e5043f.jpg

The pipes are routed slightly differently, swapped one of the 90 degree fittings for a straight fitting (top) also. Protected the braided hose with some heater hose wrapped around.

IMG_9981_zps588b3956.jpg

IMG_9982_zps62bc1ace.jpg

Finished by bolting all the front panel up properly.

IMG_9983_zpsf1aac420.jpg

Good work foxy lad. Will be like the old days at in the 16vs

While ago that now, finally rid of all my Renault stuff!

Moves under its own power now. Spent some time modifying the position of the gearstick earlier, then clutch bled with the new slave cylinder and fresh oil in the gearbox. All gears engage fine and the clutch position same as before. Not much else to do now before it can be run in.

So over the past few days, I took some time making sure all the brackets/wiring was tidy/etc. All the front-end went back on, also drilled the bumper and cut out a slot in the aluminium slam panel for more air-flow on track..

IMG_9990_zps753adc71.jpg

One of the last jobs was to re-fit the bonnet catches, which I spent ages messing around with and couldn't get it to latch correctly, and the lever (for releasing the bonnet once popped) kept catching on the top fitting for the oil cooler. I had given up with it by then and decided to remove the standard mechanism and fit the pair of aero catches I had from previous cars.

Carefully marked up the bonnet and slam panel to make sure the position was right, then drilled everything. Cut the bonnet and got the holes right for the catches and got those fitted. Then realised, where the pins were on the slam panel was slightly too high to get the top nut on to secure it. Had to get a bit creative and mount them slightly lower on a new bracket, without getting in the way of the headlight..

IMG_9987_zps5cb1772c.jpg

IMG_9986_zps632e2170.jpg

IMG_9993_zps79f3df91.jpg

IMG_9988_zpsc89ccb02.jpg

IMG_9994_zps23cae691.jpg

IMG_9996_zps3944f04c.jpg

After a lot of fiddling, finally got there, and all works well. In the meantime I had to go to the scrapper for an indicator connector, as my original one had broken off. Spotted a 525i there, looked a bit closer, and saw it still had the M50 fuel rail on it. Had that and will swap it on in the future, straight bolt on without the need for adaptors on the mounting points..

IMG_9998_zps20da0fd2.jpg

So once the indicator was sorted, everything was ready to go..

IMG_9985_zpscb01d8ec.jpg

Checked the fluids and took it out to start the running in - everything works awesome!

The engine is tight as expected, but very smooth and quiet. Only took it up to circa 4k and keeping it loaded at the moment. Approx 50 miles in and can feel it opening up a bit, that was it for today. The M3 gearbox has a bit of chatter on idle once warm (input shaft due to the single mass flywheel conversion). Oil pressure is very good (better than the old engine), temperatures are solid and the oil cooler is working fine. No leaks anywhere either. Overall very happy with it! :clap:

Going to continue the running in over the coming days, along with a few other bits and pieces. Hopefully all will remain fine!

After finding out two of the four 'track' wheels were bent, and finding two straight replacements, I decided to get my uncle to powder coat them, as per all the subframe stuff. Decided to go with a different colour instead of the usual silver/anthracite, not tried them on the car yet but il leave this here for now..

IMG_0001_zpse6bff8c8.jpg

So after loosing the pressed in rear studs on the N/S when the stub axle was scrapped, I decided to be done with it and try to source some cold rolled bullet nose studs at a reasonable price (ie. Not the prices Pure Motorsport and various other vendors are charging!). Easily found in the US, in any length, but after shipping and taxes it soon adds up.

Eventually I found some 90mm's in the specification I wanted, imported from the US, at a great price. This morning I set about fitting them to the three corners that didn't have studs, as the O/S rear still has the pressed ones for now.

IMG_0003_zps97af0b5a.jpg

Threads cleaned of all dirt and grease..

IMG_0004_zps985f7cb6.jpg

Studs wound in with stud lock and torqued to 25lb/ft..

IMG_0006_zps493e2d0e.jpg

Fitted everything back on. Still got plenty of stud out the end of the nut even with the 15mm spacers on..

IMG_0024_zps2fbfaaae.jpg

Fitted the 'track wheels' to see how they look, then back out to get some more miles on the engine and took a few snaps..

IMG_0009_zps664873c3.jpg

IMG_0012_zpsce3381f9.jpg

IMG_0013_zpsed3d3dc7.jpg

IMG_0014_zps042fa28f.jpg

IMG_0016_zps14430e08.jpg

No issues have appeared as of yet!

Cheers for the comments everyone. Can't wait to really open it up properly after I've done these miles to run it in, should be much better than before. Handful of little bits to sort before Oulton but nothing major pending the engine continues to be fine!

Passed 250 miles now, top end (3.5k>) is just awesome. Induction noise is much different (probably due to slightly different CR) and it pulls like a train. Had it up to 7k a few times. Couple more hundred and it should be all good.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Amazing. Just read the whole thing over the last week or so... love the job you've done.

I'll probably be at Oulton too so I'll see you then.

So after the scrap yard fuel rail find last weekend, I wanted to fit it with new lines (they are on opposite ends of the rail on the M50, rather than both at the same end like an M52). Picked up some fuel hose clips, and some new 8mm fuel hose. Removed the old rail, and injectors. Cleaned, painted and fitted the injectors to the M50 rail..

IMG_0031_zpsac50dc64.jpg

Then fitted it to the car with the injector loom and new fuel lines..

IMG_0033_zps4092dd04.jpg

This eliminates the need for adaptor brackets to make the M52 fuel rail bolt upto the M50 manifold. I didn't NEED it, but while it was there at the scrapper its tidier and now has new fuel lines too.

Browsing some forums I spotted someone selling some ABS formed ducts that looked about the right size to get rid of the manky fog lights on my front bumper. After a quick measure I got them cheap, and they arrived earlier in the week. I ripped out the standard fog lights and brackets, leaving two empty holes in the bumper. Used some cardboard to make a template of the shape, and got to work with the grinder/file..

IMG_0025_zps31c7c1c5.jpg

IMG_0030_zps0718048a.jpg

I made sure they were a tight fit, then bonded them in place on the flat parts where the fog light unit bolted to, and all the way round the back..

IMG_0037_zps7b5751f9.jpg

IMG_0038_zpscb5a324b.jpg

IMG_0036_zpse8063ae9.jpg

Turned out quite well, and looks much better than empty holes or old fog lights. Although, I've not done this for looks, as they are being used for brakes, which I'm in the middle of doing and will update in due course. More soon!

Spare set of calipers were powdercoated at the same time as the other orange bits a while ago, but I've only just got round to building them up. Cleaned out the bore first, then cleaned up the piston..

IMG_0041_zps008713bb.jpg

IMG_0042_zps495325c7.jpg

New seals fitted, then put into place, sliders fitted to carrier and put together. New bleed nipples also.

IMG_0043_zps50cc98c5.jpg

IMG_0045_zpsd732d98e.jpg

IMG_0046_zpsc6838e1d.jpg

Then a new pair of these to go with them..

IMG_0048_zps4c8bf5f5.jpg

Stuck with the Carbone Lorraine RC5+ also..

IMG_0051_zps512af714.jpg

IMG_0062_zps8303b579.jpg

Both sides on, bled up, all good. I also built up the powder coated rear calipers, using the same new seals, etc, but it turns out they are not from a 328 and no good for me as they don't fit! So if anyone wants some brand new 325i E36 rear calipers in orange let me know!

One of the centre exhaust rubbers had also broken, so a few quid later on eBay got me these, which were then fitted..

IMG_0052_zps5118da07.jpg

Lastly was to replace the 5k old air filter. Never seen one so bad in such a short time!

IMG_0047_zpsde940f67.jpg

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Didn't fancy a caliper upgrade then?

Or is there not one at a decent price?

P.s is the old oil cooler for sale? :eek: