ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dump valves

172cup turbo & rx8
I'm going forged very soon and need to look at a simple way of preventing turbo stall so it looks as tho a dump valve is going to be the easiest option (even tho I'm not sold on the sound!)

anyway what's the deal with spring rates? Say for instance at the Minuit I'm only running 7psi does that mean that I'll need a 7psi spring?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
if you're really bothered (and it's not necessary unless you're running BIG boost) then fit a recirc valve.

big boost cup
I have a ktec one in the garage not doing anything and i have two springs with it if you decide to run one

172cup turbo & rx8
if you're really bothered (and it's not necessary unless you're running BIG boost) then fit a recirc valve.

I was under the impression that any turbo stall is a bad idea? When forged ill be around 1.2bar so I'd like to run a dv just as a safety measure, my reason for choosing a DVD over a recirc was purely down to simplicity of fitting and having less pipework

anyone know about what spring rates are needed?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
springs are just for what level you want it to dump at. if you fit a stiff spring, you can drive around normally with minimal boost and you won't be sneezing everywhere. Adjustable valves with a pre-load screw are available

Safety.....no, only reason you run a dumo valve is to tell people you have a turbo. There's no performance or durability benefits

225 Cup & Williams
Dump valves sound good for a few weeks then get on your tits. I had a forge one fitted to my megane then replaced it with a forge recirc valve with a yellow spring sounds much better.

Clio 197
Or if you want to get the chav horn noise at all engine rpms (on and off boost) then fit a HKS SSQV :)

As said above, they are fine when fitted for a short while but IMHO soon become tiresome.. If you have an OE recirc one too you can swap to suit your taste :)

PH2 Flamer
Fit a recirc 007p, they also sound good. Because you can hardly here it. Just a little tffff when giving it beans.

172cup turbo & rx8
I'm not sure I made myself clear to be honest, I don't like the sound, id rather it wasnt there but tbh I couldn't care less, the Sole reason for me wanting to fit one was to help with reliability of the turbo and associated parts

i was always lead to believe that turbo/compressor stall was in no way a good thing and can potentially cause damage, any chance someone can clue me up as to why this is now not the case?

PH2 Flamer
Yeah flutter isnt very good for the turbo. I got it alot on the s3 once mapped. So had to opt for a yellow spring to control the extra psi.

Ideally you do need a recirc. Which are vert quiet. Anything not atmospheric will be fine imo.

HBT 172 Cup
My understanding is that no pressure relief valve results in increased ware on the turbos thrust bearing? ... not that that has made me bother with one yet.