ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@dmallett I got a brand new Fabia splitter on Saturday. Will see how it looks once the coilovers are on but I don't want it impractical, as its a daily. I'd like it pretty much the same as it is on the front, maybe a tad lower but want the rear to come down so there's less arch gap. My 182 sat perfect IMO and I'd like it to be the same as that on this. I may put on the splitter at a later date once it's all adjusted and settled. I'm no 25mm, scraping low, stance wh*re like you ;)

@ParisPeach Yeah I know! However they was the cheapest by £70ish so it's a no brainer, even if the name is chavvy! Lol

I've bought some boot struts and a brand new rear exhaust mount off a member on here. The exhaust mount isn't genuine but it doesn't matter as I'll be tiger-sealing it up as my powerflex one has split :(

Also I removed my foglight today to fit the new bulbs but the ones I got don't look correct. Does anybody know what ones are needed for the ph1?

@dmallett I got a brand new Fabia splitter on Saturday. Will see how it looks once the coilovers are on but I don't want it impractical, as its a daily. I'd like it pretty much the same as it is on the front, maybe a tad lower but want the rear to come down so there's less arch gap. My 182 sat perfect IMO and I'd like it to be the same as that on this. I may put on the splitter at a later date once it's all adjusted and settled. I'm no 25mm, scraping low, stance wh*re like you ;)

Just fit it, it stops the bumper hitting the ground lol. Your 182 sat perfectly IMO on the 15's so be nice to see you pull it off again.

I dont run my clio's low, the black thing is low I will admit but thats not my doing. Im a changed man, im going for the 20mm look now ;) haha
I like the front down fairly though I will admit, i dont like the rear being low.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Toms_clio These will do for now mate. I just want the look as it sits too high and these are ok comfort wise. Maybe when I'm in a better position to buy better ones I may but these were in my budget and gets rid of the arch gap.

Just need to sell the Koni's and Sportlines now ;)

Lol at changed man, Dan. You must be getting sensible in your old age!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Would be interested in hearing what you think of the vmaxx was looking at getting a set for my PH1 :cool:

Dom

Ive had them before Dom and tbh there not that bad. I ran them for 2yrs on my 182 and was fine. They are bumpier than sportlines but not uncomfortable. They offer a lot of lows if you want but that's not really my thing. Over some roads they can be a bit crashy but nothing unbearable. You got to remember that these are a budget coilover so your not going to get KW quality but then they are not KW price! For the money they are decent. I didn't think there was any real difference between these and when I had 16" turinis on cooksports IMO.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Also after having a look it seems the bulbs on the Ph1's are:

Ph1 Sport Headlights

HB3/9005 - Dipped Beam

H7 (477) - Full Beam

W5W (501) - Side light

PY21W (581) - Indicator

H1 - Front Fog

Ph1 Rear Lights

PY21W (581) - Indicator

P21W (382) - Fog

P21/5w (380) - Brake/Rear Light

P21W (382) - Reverse Light

Last edited:
  Phase 1 172
Ive had them before Dom and tbh there not that bad. I ran them for 2yrs on my 182 and was fine. They are bumpier than sportlines but not uncomfortable. They offer a lot of lows if you want but that's not really my thing. Over some roads they can be a bit crashy but nothing unbearable. You got to remember that these are a budget coilover so your not going to get KW quality but then they are not KW price! For the money they are decent. I didn't think there was any real difference between these and when I had 16" turinis on cooksports IMO.

Ah thats good then, not really worried about how crashy they are tbh (running apex springs atm :eek:), just looking for some decent coilovers for looks/performance on a budget so will consider these.

Also i thought the Main beam on PH1 was h7? i could be wrong :slap:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ah thats good then, not really worried about how crashy they are tbh (running apex springs atm :eek:), just looking for some decent coilovers for looks/performance on a budget so will consider these.

Also i thought the Main beam on PH1 was h7? i could be wrong :slap:

Its only these and Ktec that are under £400. After that its Gaz, Spax, AP, etc from £500 upwards. These are better than Apex IMO.

Ive edited the post about the bulbs :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Pics you say?! ;)

Update time!

Got a few more jobs done over the weekend. Had @AlexW come over on Sunday to give me a hand with the coilovers but I did a few bits on Saturday too. I'll try and get this in order but I can't promise it lol

My new boot struts and exhaust mount turned up Thursday so on Friday afternoon I set about making the "solid" exhaust mount. Let it dry overnight and got out there sat afternoon while the weather was decent:

12548764573_f6ca3aa658.jpg

Boot struts and exhaust mount by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12548825353_7d747e9a35.jpg

"Solid" exhaust mount by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

As you can see my old powerflex one is f*cked!

12549218484_f3cb507b7c.jpg

Knackered powerflex exhaust mount by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Old Vs New.

12548877993_fba7d39ece.jpg

Exhaust mounts: Old Vs New by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

While it was up in the air I decided to remove the back box for it to have a little clean up and fit the rear coilovers. I didn't go mad with the exhaust, just a going over with some autosol. At least @Phase1sr will be pleased ;) Fitted it all up with the new mount and it sits how it should now :)

12548753265_ec6200b74a.jpg

Back box off by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12549291014_db49e7268a.jpg

Clean back box by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12549339594_553ba716e3.jpg

Stealth box sitting correctly by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Then the Koni's and sportlines were removed

12549265804_933f49630c.jpg

Rear suspension: Konis and sportlines Vs V-Maxx by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

At this point the weather decided to be inconsiderate and start to rain! I quickly packed up and went inside for a cuppa.

12549433274_134c3dc3d0.jpg

Half time by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

But then it dried up so I got back out there. While the wheels were off I painted the backs of them. I've scrubbed and cleaned these wheels but nothing was removing the built on dirt on the back so I thought I'd just paint over it. Not a colour match but a lot better than before. Overtime these will be getting refurbed anyway so it's no big deal that it doesn't match. I just wanted them cleaner!

12549098233_d5f23a2ccd.jpg

Wheel paint by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12549121853_12a3351200.jpg

Back of F1's unpainted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12549685873_ab59a8a3dd.jpg

Back of F1's painted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

I know they are dirty but they were cleaned up afterwards. I cleaned the centers before painting though ;) Next I fitted my ally footrest to see how bad the kink was once fitted. It looks crap so it'll be coming off. I may get another one as I think they look nice but not yet.

12549702963_860486e78a.jpg

Bent ally footrest fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

New exhaust mount, Vmaxx rears and back box fitted.

12550085464_3553ec19b7.jpg

Polished back box and rear suspension fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12550118524_9d80e306e6.jpg

Vmaxx rear suspension, polished back box and "solid" exhaust mount fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Then onto Sunday. Alex fitted up the front coilovers while I fitted up a new boot light out of the cup he's breaking. So much easier with a zip gun to undo the top mounts!

12569783735_93d4dc9b83.jpg

Koni's off by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12570023633_f5d64b4a87.jpg

Fitting up coilovers by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12570632545_ce846d0e45.jpg

Vmaxx fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12571126944_22bd8533f5.jpg

Broken horn and Vmaxx fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

As you can see the horn was hanging as the bracket had collapsed but luckily he bough a spare off the cup too so now it's as it should be :)

Current height setting on the Vmaxx fronts. I may have a little play before I get tracking done but it still has to be practical being a daily so no slamming!

12570878103_aaff1cf7d4.jpg

Vmaxx front height setting by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

While it was up in the air we investigated the knocking noise and after having a look it turned out it was a bolt north east of the dogbone bolt in the pictures. Don't know what it's called! :eek: It feels beautiful now, finally!

12575072455_4042a8fc7a.jpg

Loose gearbox bolt by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Then we got the cars jacked up so we could swap the rear hub spacers over

12575643444_716a4ce81b.jpg

Jacked up clios by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12575143235_f32e43c215.jpg

10mm rear hub spacers: No camber Vs Camber by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Im finally happy as it sits how it should do. It looks oem+ :)

Last job was to fit an unbroken ECU bracket. Alex had one on the cup he's breaking so I got that and gave it a paint.

12570703683_f9032de273.jpg

Painted ECU bracket by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12575356293_be5591a60c.jpg

Bodged ECU bracket by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12575327035_04c4598f52.jpg

ECU bracket removed by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12575471863_e8aff15acb.jpg

Newly painted ECU bracket fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Had a quick check on the original head unit and me having a blonde moment realised that the reason it didn't fit before was because its still got the sony adapter fitted and I was plugging it in like that :eek: With that removed it plugs in fine but I need a cage to fit it which I don't have. If anybody has one please let me know. If not I shall put up a wanted thread.

With everything done we tidied up. I realised I haven't got any pics of how it sits barring this one but I shall get more :) Thanks for your help today Alex and thanks for popping back with the C-spanner. I hope it wasn't too late when you got back.

12575850644_302d0e013d.jpg

Finished clios by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Last edited:

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks good mark, any chance of you getting some trendlines and selling it, lol, justa thought.:approve:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good!

needs lowz ;)

Cheers Dan. I agree mate. I shall adjust them this week

How do you find the V Max? I've got them on the Turbo!

Tbh Chi there quite comfortable. It hasn't been set up properly yet but I've had them before and thought they was alright then too. Perfect for my needs atm.

Looking good Mark...

Doesnt look any lower though :p

Thanks Graham. Yeah it does need to go a bit lower tbh. Here's how it sits currently (took this morning)

12586378854_dfc869b102.jpg

Needs lowz by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Looks good mark, any chance of you getting some trendlines and selling it, lol, justa thought.:approve:

Lol, not yet mate!

You need to take the sticker off of the throttle cable. :rasp:

Im slacking ;)

EDIT: Thread opened!

Last edited:
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
Looks much better! If you used tiger seal for that exhaust mount I may been to steal some off you, :)
My Yozza is on now and decated. Sounds crazy! And didn't realise how much better the clio drives without a cat!! All my other clio came decated

Many.
Are the 10mm hub spacers easy to fit?

Wheel off, brake pad carrier 17mm x2, disc off 30mm, bottom shock bolt 18mm, three 18mm nuts with Torx head bolts for the hub, fourth I can't remember, it's smaller anyway. Pop off hub, slide spacer in, reverse of removal, bear in mind torque settings.

172 cup
Looking good, just bought a couple of powerflex exhaust mounts to fit my new exhaust at the weekend, looking like a waste of money lol

Many.
Standard head unit you say? Doesn't need or come with a cage fyi

Now you say..... Mark, you can't fit that bloody headunit anyway, its terrible!

Looking good, just bought a couple of powerflex exhaust mounts to fit my new exhaust at the weekend, looking like a waste of money lol

Depends what ones you went for. Some seem to be okay, My experiance is the same as Marks, that they break.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looks much better! If you used tiger seal for that exhaust mount I may been to steal some off you, :)
My Yozza is on now and decated. Sounds crazy! And didn't realise how much better the clio drives without a cat!! All my other clio came decated

I bet mate! Too loud for me though :eek: I gave the tiger seal to Alex mate.

Just been uploading pics....

Look how good this is......
87241E08-51A6-4CEA-B581-79BCA54491B5_zpsjje84qp0.jpg

My car doesn't suit F1's either.
2F6C92A7-C68F-4A58-888D-4592CBD52FAB_zps9koly8zl.jpg

Haha, you tried so hard to convince me! Ph1 lights are staying! FOR EVER!!

Standard head unit you say? Doesn't need or come with a cage fyi

Now you say..... Mark, you can't fit that bloody headunit anyway, its terrible

Thanks for that John as now.....

12612063155_15249630f2.jpg

Old skool by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Also lowered the car a bit more but I think the rear needs lowering a tad more

12608295994_ae05de7b70.jpg

Tad lower by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

12608310994_8d70805aaa.jpg

Tad lower by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai, just drop the back a little bit more, not much, a bit of nose down stance is good imo :)