ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does anyone know how to do a ECU reset on a Renault Clio

Stagecoach Ticket
Theres a simple diagnostics built into the Mk2 Clio's

To access this, with the igition off press and keep hold of the button at the end of the stalk and turn the ignition on. ALl the dashboard warning lights will come on and the speedo and rev counter will go through a predefined sequene.
When your doing this though (you can let go of the button at the end of the stalk) ever time you press the stalk button the digital readout will show information (listed belew) each time you press the button some more information will show.

All the lights lit (shows if you have a failed LED).

The amount of fuel left in the tank in liters.

Fuel flow (the engine has to be running. This is in liters per hour

Stored faults
t mean an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds
J means a fault has been noted on the fuel gauge. It must have disconnected for longer than 100 seconds. The resistance from the fuel tank sensor needs to be between 5 and 350 Ohms.
d means an injection signal fault has been detected
h means an oil level sensor fault has been detected. Resistance from the sensor should be between 6 and 20 Ohms. Any reading over 20Ohms is an open cicuit anything under 3 is a short circuit.

If no faults are logged then dashes will show fixed dashes.
Press the reset button to clear the logged faults. Other faults arn't shown on the display.

One last thing to stop it turn the engine off or move the key to the off position.​

Stagecoach Ticket
Found that for you hope it helps this is not my guide i found it on the forum no clue if it works

Clio Sport 172
I did the the ECU test and had a t and a h..... Does anyone know how to reset the ECU? Will this rectify my electrical problems i.e. air con not working, engine temp needle moving, dash lights constantly on and off plus i also have a buzzing noise coming from my interior light??? Thanks

BMW M135i
No it won't. You can't really do anything without clip. Where are you?

1. Aircon, check the normal things. Its probably low gas pressure but why is it low?
2. Temp needle, needs a new coolant temp sensor.
3. Is it just the dials that come on and off? Loose connection if not possible internal dial fault.
4. Buzzling from interior light is "standard" can try greasing the fan thats in there for the climate temp sensor see if that quietens it down otherwise replace it. They're not totally silent from new tbh.

Clio Sport 172
I live in Gloucester! It also has a knocking noise that comes from the front drivers side wheel evertime i hit a small pot hole or speed bump, as well as white smoke coming from the exhaust on occasion been told its prob the cat burning or rubber valves it does smell like burning rubber mind! Gas has been topped up, but even when the climate control is on low normally it still blows hot air? the engine management light, stereo fascia, airbags, low oil (even though i put 4 litres of synthetic 5 w40 in it) and the service light also comes on randomly... what will happen if i do reset the ECU??? Thanks

Clio Sport 172
I live in Gloucester! It also has a knocking noise that comes from the front drivers side wheel evertime i hit a small pot hole or speed bump, as well as white smoke coming from the exhaust on occasion been told its prob the cat burning or rubber valves it does smell like burning rubber mind! Gas has been topped up, but even when the climate control is on low normally it still blows hot air? the engine management light, stereo fascia, airbags, low oil (even though i put 4 litres of synthetic 5 w40 in it) and the service light also comes on randomly... what will happen if i do reset the ECU??? Thanks​

Clio Sport 172
Not even loss of power or juddering when moving, even my rev counter varys it varys from 800 to 1300 when its just left running for a few minutes!?

Monaco 172 Ph2
I live in Gloucester! It also has a knocking noise that comes from the front drivers side wheel evertime i hit a small pot hole or speed bump, as well as white smoke coming from the exhaust on occasion been told its prob the cat burning or rubber valves it does smell like burning rubber mind! Gas has been topped up, but even when the climate control is on low normally it still blows hot air? the engine management light, stereo fascia, airbags, low oil (even though i put 4 litres of synthetic 5 w40 in it) and the service light also comes on randomly... what will happen if i do reset the ECU??? Thanks​

New car might help LOL

But on a serious note last time i had white smoke/steam coming out of my exhaust of my 1.6 16v it ending up being the head gasket that had gone,

the heating issue is also cover on another thread somewhere, which is something to do with something not turning as it should to allow the cold airfolw through (i think) quite an easy fix if i remember,

And which engine management light ?? the one on the right hand side of the dials (on constant or flashing)

180.5 bhp 172
Theres a simple diagnostics built into the Mk2 Clio's

To access this, with the igition off press and keep hold of the button at the end of the stalk and turn the ignition on. ALl the dashboard warning lights will come on and the speedo and rev counter will go through a predefined sequene.
When your doing this though (you can let go of the button at the end of the stalk) ever time you press the stalk button the digital readout will show information (listed belew) each time you press the button some more information will show.

All the lights lit (shows if you have a failed LED).

The amount of fuel left in the tank in liters.

Fuel flow (the engine has to be running. This is in liters per hour

Stored faults
t mean an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds
J means a fault has been noted on the fuel gauge. It must have disconnected for longer than 100 seconds. The resistance from the fuel tank sensor needs to be between 5 and 350 Ohms.
d means an injection signal fault has been detected
h means an oil level sensor fault has been detected. Resistance from the sensor should be between 6 and 20 Ohms. Any reading over 20Ohms is an open cicuit anything under 3 is a short circuit.

If no faults are logged then dashes will show fixed dashes.
Press the reset button to clear the logged faults. Other faults arn't shown on the display.
One last thing to stop it turn the engine off or move the key to the off position.​

Sorry to drag up such an old thread!!!

Where is this 'Reset' button?

I'm getting T & H show up and want to see if I can clear them.

Thanks,

Cup In bits
Only the systems listed above , I.e injection, oil level etc. It won't clear your fault code history for the rest of the car.

182 Cup
sorry to hijack a bit, but on a car with a miss fire, a t code would probably indicate a dead injector?