ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I buy Apple TV now or wait for the next one?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I'm not even sure when the next one is out, and google doesn't unvail much, but didn't want to commit to buying one now if a new one is out in March.

Bus w**ker
I've just got a 3, as in yesterday, and I love it. I have absolutely no need for it and I will never ever purchase a film or TV show through it but it looks pretty, allows me to stream my music as my Airport Express did and streams 1080p AC3 mp4 files wirelessly without a st st st stutter motherfucker.

If rumours are to be believed the JB for ATV3 is ready and they're just making the UI pretty...I'm quite skeptical atm as it really doesn't take this long to make a simple JB UI and there is no proof at all that it actually works, just claims from the group and a really s**t website (I'd guess covered in ads but I have blockers in place so can't see them).

AK

M240i
I've just got a 3, as in yesterday, and I love it. I have absolutely no need for it and I will never ever purchase a film or TV show through it but it looks pretty, allows me to stream my music as my Airport Express did and streams 1080p AC3 mp4 files wirelessly without a st st st stutter motherf**ker.

If rumours are to be believed the JB for ATV3 is ready and they're just making the UI pretty...I'm quite skeptical atm as it really doesn't take this long to make a simple JB UI and there is no proof at all that it actually works, just claims from the group and a really s**t website (I'd guess covered in ads but I have blockers in place so can't see them).

Link?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I love mine. And eventually when they jb them, they'll go up in price like the atv 2 did :eek:

It's awesome being able to flick things from ipad/iPhone to the tv and surround sound :D

4od doesn't support video streaming, so you're watching 4od on the ipad but listening to it through surround sound. It's brilliant

I love mine. And eventually when they jb them, they'll go up in price like the atv 2 did :eek:

It's awesome being able to flick things from ipad/iPhone to the tv and surround sound :D

4od doesn't support video streaming, so you're watching 4od on the ipad but listening to it through surround sound. It's brilliant

The ATV2 only went up in price because they released the ATV3, which wasn't jailbreakable, so all the demand was still for the ATV2, but Apple stopped making them.
Hence in limited supply, the price went up!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'ver heard all the rumours of a ATV3 JB are rubbish. Tbh if it hasnt been done by now my guess is it never will...

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
I've got a jailbroken ATV2 and I love it....Best thing is to get a ATV2 of eBay and jailbreak it. Yes its abit more money but IMO its well worth it!

Audi A3
im in a similar dilemma, do i wait until the atv3 jailbreak is out or do i just get a 2 and jailbreak that.

Clio 172
I'ver heard all the rumours of a ATV3 JB are rubbish. Tbh if it hasnt been done by now my guess is it never will...

This tbh.

IIRC, the 3 didn't have the same holes that could be exploited (oooh errr) as the 2, so it's been difficult to jail break.

There are some good alternatives out their, that don't require a JB tbh.

Clio 172
what like?

Was bit of a sweeping statement tbh.

For what I want it for, there is.

I needed something to watch my films that are hosted on my server, and I use plex. I ended up buying the Roku 2 XS has its own plex app, and it works no problem

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I've just bought an Apple TV. Seems pretty good so far. Downloading programs and films then converting to mp4 is a PITA tho.

Whats the crack with jailbreaking then? People who have done it feel its worth it?

Bus w**ker
I've just bought an Apple TV. Seems pretty good so far. Downloading programs and films then converting to mp4 is a PITA tho.

Whats the crack with jailbreaking then? People who have done it feel its worth it?

The inability to transcode is the major flaw for me, but if I really want to stream to my ATV3 instead of my 360 then Handbrake sorts the conversion out in a matter of minutes.

If you've an ATV 1 or 2 and haven't jailbroke it then you're missing out massively, it makes the device so much more useful - Plex for a start. Actually you'd be an idiot not to. I'm not giving up hope on ATV3 being hacked but it isn't looking too good as it's already been out since March last year and so far nothing but some claims from a group no one has heard of before, with zero proof to back them up.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You don't need to jailbreak to use Plex.

The Plex iOS app airplay's to ATV and the Plex server transcodes (I've yet to bother converting anything). Its also written properly so it does it in the background and you can continue to use the iOS device. Its actually a lot better than the janky JB plex.

Bus w**ker
Didn't know that, I'll have a look later where I get home. What I really want is basically what my 360 already does, and stream directly from my NAS to ATV3.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its impossible unless you get a Nas with airplay. (which do exist)