ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Caliper Refurb

Titanium 182
Nothing special just thought id show my transformation form old to new

thanks to Bigg Red for the new seals and pistons and dmallett for the calipers

Before:

IMG_20131028_103322_zpsdabee572.jpg

During:

IMG_20131103_104744_zpsfd10f7c8.jpg

After:

d86a9a1f-fd4e-4cfb-adf3-6b0f190d9001_zpsd7c5b2a2.jpg

CursedTitanium 182FF
What was your total cost to do this? Having a cash flow crisis at the mo & my brakes are shot, so might need to do this myself.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Well done mate.

Same as i did to mine, its nice to see someone else doing the job right.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Awesome Paul. Looks like a recon that a company would do!

How hard was it to press the seals and pistons in?

Piss easy Mark, a little brake fluid as lube so the seal just slips in then a bit of fluid around the piston then push it in.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
By hand? Or G-clamp? Certainly something worth considering if I'm ever planning on caliper freshen up.

Hopefully I'll see you soon Paul as I'm popping round my nans more over the next month or so :)

Titanium 182
By hand? Or G-clamp? Certainly something worth considering if I'm ever planning on caliper freshen up.

Hopefully I'll see you soon Paul as I'm popping round my nans more over the next month or so :)

Cool i'm usually down Saturday or Sundays most weekends

Titanium 182
As with most things its all in the prep work . Must have spent hours doing the wire brushing and minutes doing the painting. As long as you take your time cant really go wrong and was quite a pleasant job really

Titanium 182
Phase1sr what method did you use to get your pistons back in. one of mine was tough going back in so have popped the pistons back out to clean the bores and redo

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I made sure that the seal groove was 100% clean, i did this by using spike.

Just ran it around the edges making sure there was no dirt etc, if there was then this might hold the piston seal a little bit out which would make the piston tight to push back in.
Then i placed the seal in to some brake fluid before fitting it into its groove.

Wiped the new piston with fluid and made sure that it was pushed into the hole square.

RB Clio 182
They look fantastic mate, i wish i would have sprayed mine instead of painting them with a brush, it looks so much professional and oem.

Titanium 182
Re did it this morning gave the grooves a re clean etc and found a different way to get the dust cover over the piston using air worked a treat ! both slid in much easier and i now feel 100% happy to put these on my car!

http://youtu.be/-ZiJ3a7Gev4 minus using the wood to push it in

Titanium 182
i just phoned up Bigg Red and they were great in helping . Most of it is on ebay but depends what you are after i got the seal kit,nipples and pistons don't know if you need slider pins. Still have not fitted mine lol still in the garage waiting

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Tut tut. Well i was thinking of ordering seals, nipples and pistons as ive got sliders with the spare set of calipers. I'll be doing this on the spare set while my car is still usable then replace the current ones once they are rebuilt and sell the old ones back on.

How much did it all cost you Paul?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You might not need pistons, remove the old one's 1st.

Go to the big red web site, all the price's are listed.

Many.
If you see this before I see you mark, remind me and I'll show you what you need. But it's best to get the calipers stripped then workout what you need.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I think it's the one above the fronts, it does say 2.0, and rear so I'd assume that would be the one but I'd give them a call to be sure.

Yes you are right, the rear kit is there.
Im not sure if anyone has had any luck with rebuilding them though.

Mark, when you strip down the front calipers make sure that you don't damage the pistons (like I did on mine)
Its very easy to as they are such a good fit.

If the front part where it touches the brake pad is rusty (which it will be) then they are good to be re-used its only where the piston slides into the seal that it has to be mint.