ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

M2 Comp
Adamm. - sorry if i've missed something, but why don't you polish your car rather than try and hide the defects?

edit; just re-read this and sounded a bit sarcastic, not intentional at all, it's a genuine question...

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Not sure of your experience with correcting tommo, but to get a decent finish and removing swirls, it's not that easy, time consuming and expensive.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
No offence taken tommo :)

The reason being is I've been there with trying to get good correction with polish. Used 3 different types of menzerna polish using 3 different pads (not cheap!) and still didn't achieve 100% correction (amateur) plus it was a full day spent polishing really to work through each stage so quite hard work.

After seeing gally and others say that if you're quite new to it all then you're better of going with cleansers and fillers etc so I looked into it and after seeing 50/50's like the auto finesse one on the previous page I thought it would suit me much better being an amateur with polishing and the results appeared pretty promising.

In future I'll stick with using products like tripple as it's much quicker and easier to work with and although the results weren't what I was hoping for (maybe the heat was a bit of an issue) Maybe next time round I'll get some better results and I might try a few other products :).

Was there a specific reason why you asked or just curious? Cheers.

M2 Comp
The paintwork on my Trophy is in similar condition (if not worse!) and I'm just in the process of trying to sort it out. Hence I was interested in seeing why you'd opted to try and fill the defects rather than remove them.

I've just bought a DAS-6 and so far, I've tried just one panel. It took me an hour or two to get to a point where I was happy, but now I've sorted a technique that works (or seems to have...), I'm feeling confident.

I think it'll take me a lot of time, I'm just planning to stick the car in the garage for a week or two and tackle a panel per day/night.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ah fair enough sounds good mate you using polish then?

I use the DAS-6 pro and it's a good piece of kit. I practiced on an old bmw bootlid before I went at my car with the menz polish. Put marks in it with a screwdriver etc then wet sanded and polished them out was quite happy after that (although it would appear I've lost the touch! lol)

Sounds like you have good conditions to work under though in a garage with plenty time and I'd imagine some decent lighting around the car. Best of luck to you mate, just remeber if there's any question ask in here. Really is a helpfull bunch of people on here :)

M2 Comp
Yeah, using polish- Menzerna 203S with a Menzerna orange polishing pad.

I'm really impressed with the DAS-6 though, mainly because it's so easy to use. I had an EP801 from CYC previously and really struggled with it.

You should give it another go mate, if time's an issue, maybe just do a couple of panels at a time?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't get on with the menz pads, they're so hard! The chemical guy hexlogics are much much better to work with IMO.

Yeah I perhaps will sometime, probably be more ideal if I could use another car. I'll have to look into it for it's next detailing session lol ;).

M2 Comp
I thought the same about the menz pads, but they seem to be doing a good job anyway. :)

​Agreed, the hexlogic pads are very good. That's what I had before.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they do work thats the main thing, one of mine practically exploded into a cloud of dust after falling to pieces. Luckily I didn't damage my paint and I found half the pad on the other side of the street. That was my last straw haha.

Nice definitely gets some pics up when you're done love capsicum red, probably my favourite next to RB (love flat colours).

M2 Comp
Yeah they do work thats the main thing, one of mine practically exploded into a cloud of dust after falling to pieces. Luckily I didn't damage my paint and I found half the pad on the other side of the street. That was my last straw haha.

Nice definitely gets some pics up when you're done love capsicum red, probably my favourite next to RB (love flat colours).

LOL, i'll watch out for that :p

Will be sure to get plenty of pics, was planning to do a little write-up, but need to sort out a decent camera first!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
RB is incredibly hard, tripple will never do a great job on it with abrasives it has in it.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I need a good leather cleaner and conditioner.

Mother has cream leather in her car and the seats are looking seriously grubby.

What should I be looking at?

I have some Gliptone somewhere but thinking there must be better out there.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
teta6a4y.jpg

Conditioner/Protection.

The 2 AF products any good?
I'm building up a bit of an AF collection.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Just get the gliptone cleaner. Use an mf applicator. The watery ones just don't seem as good.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Yeah was a bit worried about the more water based products as the seats are cooling/heated perforated leather.

Will hunt up the Gliptone and give it a hit.

Not a 320d
I need a good leather cleaner and conditioner.

Mother has cream leather in her car and the seats are looking seriously grubby.

What should I be looking at?

I have some Gliptone somewhere but thinking there must be better out there.

Short pile MF cloth, maybe a soft scrubbing brush.

All Purpose Cleaner. IPA will also remove a lot of the shine so use that too and mix it in if you have some.

Not a 320d
whatever it is its s**te lol . stripped the wax (dodo juice rainforest rub) from my car when i used it yesterday , and a few others on detailingworld

Doubt it will have stripped it. I am assuming its not IPA based? It will have left a layer of protection over the wax and youll be seeing a reduction in beading I assume......

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It would have to be pretty solvent heavy to be removing a wax underneath. From the small instructions provided I'm surprised people are testing it over a wax and not a clean base to truly test its performance, seems a bit of a waste rest when you consider how much you get to try.

For a real test maybe you should have removed the wax on say half the bonnet and applied the spray to the whole bonnet and see if either side performs differently

iceberg phase 2 172
Someone on dw asked waxybox..and this is his replyit's designed to be used for those who use wash n wax, or spray waxes to add further gloss and protection. If it is totally unprotected then this alone isn't enough to givea real barrier, on the other side if you have a sealant or wax it may strip it, although this is what we want to find out to send feedback back to the chemist.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If it is in the infancy of development, reading through the thread on DW isn't giving constructive feedback. Proper testing parameters should be set to give accurate comparisons.

For a real test maybe you should have removed the wax on say half the bonnet and applied the spray to the whole bonnet and see if either side performs differently

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I used the sealant yesterday after polishing and I was very impressed. It looks very very glossy.

I had already waxed the bonnet and roof before I remembered I had the sealant so only pit the sealant on wings doors etc. popped to the shop after and when I came out it looked amazing.

I'll try and get some pics today.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I used the sealant yesterday after polishing and I was very impressed. It looks very very glossy.

I had already waxed the bonnet and roof before I remembered I had the sealant so only pit the sealant on wings doors etc. popped to the shop after and when I came out it looked amazing.

I'll try and get some pics today.

Your picture taking is epic, I'm looking forward to this....:)

If it is in the infancy of development, reading through the thread on DW isn't giving constructive feedback. Proper testing parameters should be set to give accurate comparisons.

DW. More afraid of new products from an unknown company than I am of Cliotoby driving around Clapham this weekend.

182 Cup
So on a random autojumble I picked up some bargains to try today.

Supernatural Hybrid
Collinite 845
And Red Mist QD.

Will have a full go over the car in a few weeks and just not sure which wax to try first lol. They were all £2 each so doesn't matter if I waste a bit to experiment!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Anyone tried the Shampoo in the Waxybox?

Gave it a try on the old mans neglected car and it felt really slick and seemed to do a decent job, Was only a quick wash and wipe so can't really give it a full review.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
So on a random autojumble I picked up some bargains to try today.

Supernatural Hybrid
Collinite 845
And Red Mist QD.

Will have a full go over the car in a few weeks and just not sure which wax to try first lol. They were all £2 each so doesn't matter if I waste a bit to experiment!

I use 845 and its pretty good tbf. Cant remember what I paid but at £2 you certainly cant grumble.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Not the best photo but this is the result of Prima Amigo and the hybrib QD sealant that came in the waxybox.

I'm quite pleased with it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375539802.355054.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Very slick looking Dave. Credit to you.

Do waxyboy not tell you what these products are? Seems a tad silly. Especially if you like something.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Very slick looking Dave. Credit to you.

Do waxyboy not tell you what these products are? Seems a tad silly. Especially if you like something.

It's the first time I've ever used a sealant. I'll definitely buy some of this one once they announce what it's called.