ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'll offer £30 for the Carbon mate. Another wax I don't need!

BG Clio 182
Be honest with me Kev. Is it worth selling Carbon and buying Vantage? Much difference between the two?
I've seen @gally mention britemax vantage numerous times so thought I'd punt and buy it.

The shine and application is absolutely unreal. Incredible. You'll get a good couple of months out of it too. Really is an epic wax.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Really? I have over 25 in various quantities 😧
And that is exactly what I'm trying not to do!

I've bought so much over the last 7 or 8 years. Different brands, types of product etc. I'm getting to the point now where I only want one of everything (two or three in the cases of polish and LSPs) to make life easier (and my bank balance happier).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Be honest with me Kev. Is it worth selling Carbon and buying Vantage? Much difference between the two?

There is a massive difference between the 2, Vantage spreads like an expensive wax and is a pleasure to use, probably one of the best, Midnight sun gives it a close run for it's money.

Vantage needs a nicer pot, it's literally the only thing that lets it down imo. Carbon or Vantage... Vantage for me.

im after a new wax i have a £10 budget what does everyone recommend?

50ml pot of Finis Wax? £10 isn't gonna buy much!

Golf GTD
Who had the issues with Hydro2 before?

I've just washed my car down, with Dodo Juice BTBM, washed off and applied another coat of Hydro2. After spraying off the Hydro2 and drying off its left a load of streak marks.

I'm not too concerned as I've had a go at some of them with polish so they'll come off easy enough but don't have time to polish the full car today and assume polishing it will remove the hydro2 but it's left the car looking awful.

Any ideas? When I applied first time round had no issues, not done it in direct sunlight or let the panels dry. I must of done something wrong though.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I've had this.
How old is the hydro2 dilution?
What did you have underneath it in terms of protection?
Whole car or panel by panel?

Mine came off with a firm wipe down with Wolfs nano QD iirc!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
There was some Black Hole, some brushes and Mint Rims which it looks like are sold. Plus a 90% full tub of Carbon which @gally mentioned about wanting above but hasn't replied to my PM.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate. Bit of a mental weekend, definitely a pot I'm interested in.

SQ5
Just bought my first lot of proper detailing stuff after wanting to for years.

15l bucket and grit guard
Martin Cox XL drying towel
Martin Cox Wash Mitt
Instafinish Maxi Suds
AF Satin Tyre Gel
AF Tripple
AF Revive
AF Hide Leather Cleaner
AF Glide
Valetpro Clay (Fine-Medium)
Bilberry
Large Sash Brush
Few microfibres applicators
10 Martin Cox Microfibres
AF Tyre/Trim applicator

Have I missed anything major?

Just over £100 for that lot which I didn't think was too bad?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate. Bit of a mental weekend, definitely a pot I'm interested in.
Let me know if you definitely want it. No other interest so far. Bought a pot of Vantage now so definitely want it gone to help cover the cost of that!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a Meguiars Tar Remover in the shed I've never used.

Is Billberry not a fallout remover?

And is Tripple not a wax too?

Never used the Megiuars but guess it'll do the job.

Bilberry is a general wheel cleaner not a dedicated fallout remover, CarPro Iron-X is still no.1 as far as I'm aware.

Tripple is a 3 in 1 product but is a Cleanser, Polish and Glaze not a Sealant/Wax, For ease of use I'd recommend AF Tough Coat as its a spray on wipe off sealant and works well with Tripple and should last a few months.

I have this kit
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...al-action-polisher-menzerna-kit/prod_675.html
Looking to replace the pads as these are falling apart.
Was thinking the Orange and white 5.5 CG hexlogic?

Was going to buy AF tripple or revive, but would I be wasting my money as I have the menzerna collection? Just use what I have?

Will then glaze and seal the car. Would AF tough coat a good bet for a newbie in sealants? Want something fool proof! Lol

Paintwork being used on will be a red Audi s3, May do my Clio too if I get time.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
If it needs correcting stick with the Menzerna polishes.

Tough Coat is totally fool proof, Spray on wipe off, No curing time etc.

If it needs correcting stick with the Menzerna polishes.

Tough Coat is totally fool proof, Spray on wipe off, No curing time etc.
Yeah. The Audi is swirltastic!
Get the hex pads? Orange and white ok, or should I get a third, finer cut pad too?

Tough coat sounds perfect. [emoji4]

I probably won't get all the defects out of the paint. Will probably get prima amigo glaze. Seems to get a good write up.

Golf GTD
I've had this.
How old is the hydro2 dilution?
What did you have underneath it in terms of protection?
Whole car or panel by panel?

Mine came off with a firm wipe down with Wolfs nano QD iirc!
Hydro2 was premixed by me 3 months ago.

Nothing underneath apart from previous hydro2 and a 3 week old bouncers done and dusted QD

Did the whole car, since read that is a bad idea, it wasn't sunny or particularly warm though...
JD and I have also had problems but mine was more water spotting marks so put it down to not rinsing off quick enough
I rinsed off pretty quickly, how'd you get rid of the spotting?

Hydro2 Question! I'm new to it so little confused.

I understand the use, but the question lies when can I use it..

can I use it after a detailing session (finished with a layer of wax&sealant) or will it not bond to the products already sitting on the car ?

If it won't, do I just simply just choose whether I want to detail and keep the shine or sacrifice and keep the water off?

And last one.. If I choose the latter but then want to detail (see where this is going?) will anything like glaze, Polish etc sit on top?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Anyone else have issues with polishing pads falling to pieces really quickly?

What am I doing wrong?

I don't let the pad spin freely and always keep the pad on the surface until the DA has stopped spinning.

Is it that in putting too much pressure on the DA? Or not enough?

A brand new firm Rupes pad I used on the BMW last week was literally falling to bits by the time I had completed a one stage polish. There was bits of foam pad flying off everywhere ffs!

Whatever it is I'm doing wrong is getting bloody expensive lol

I've just purchased a new DA (DAS6 pro) and hoping this might be a bit kinder to pads than my Megs G220 v2 was.

@gally @Yellow Dave @Detail Chris

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The only experience I've had of disintegrating pads is with the solid flat type of pad. Hexlogic, Lake Country, and 3M have always stayed in tact.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I have little experience (read that as I can't remember!) with DA as I don't use them and haven't for 10+years.

Leaving the pad to slow on the paint is not a good idea though, that will mark.
Pads only normally fall apart when your catching them against edges etc.

Mask up all edges, trims, badges. This will help stop this and also protect whatever is under the mask.
Only time pads fall apart is if they are old and past it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Anyone else have issues with polishing pads falling to pieces really quickly?

What am I doing wrong?

I don't let the pad spin freely and always keep the pad on the surface until the DA has stopped spinning.

Is it that in putting too much pressure on the DA? Or not enough?

A brand new firm Rupes pad I used on the BMW last week was literally falling to bits by the time I had completed a one stage polish. There was bits of foam pad flying off everywhere ffs!

Whatever it is I'm doing wrong is getting bloody expensive lol

I've just purchased a new DA (DAS6 pro) and hoping this might be a bit kinder to pads than my Megs G220 v2 was.

@gally @Yellow Dave @Detail Chris

never had it happen myself, only time I've had trouble with pads is being too heavy handed with the brush when spurring the pad after use.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
So @gally this reload I've got is being a right on cnut to get off.

Is it better to dilute it down a bit?

I f**king love reload and it's brought the Beemer up a treat today but fcuck me it was hard work lol