ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailed: RenaultSport Megane 250 in Oyster Grey, Swissvax'd

Megane R26
Wow, I'm in love!

Today's car was a rather sexy RenaultSport Megane 250 Cup, in Oyster Grey, with optional Recaro's and 19" Speedline wheels. What a car! The build quality of this thing is incredible for a French hatch, it just feels so solid! I want one...

Anyway... you may recognise the location for this one; I have a detailed a number of cars here for the owner of this 250. He has recently bought this 250, and asked me to take a look at it for him to give it a good spruce up. I went armed with heavy duty correction on the cards, but was happily greeted with little more than minor hazing and swirling in the clearcoat. Otherwise, the car just needed a damn good clean and some protection.

The process was as follows:

- Arches and Tyres scrubbed with various brushes and Autosmart G101
- Wheels cleaned with Envy brushes and Autosmart Smart Wheels (and what a pain they were!!)
- Car snow foamed with Autosmart Autowash:

P1020613.jpg

This was left to soak for 10 minutes or so, whilst I went around the car with another Envy brush, working the formula into the various shuts, sills and grilles.

From here, I:

- Hand washed the car using my Zymol Caddy, a Zymol sponge and Dodo BTBM
- Rinsed the shampoo solution off
- I then proceeded to deal with the surprisingly high amount of tar, which Autosmart Tardis made very short work of.

Pic of the MF after removing the tar:

P1020614.jpg

The next step was to decide whether or not to clay the car. As I rubbed my hand over the lower panels, I was shocked to feel just how many bonded contaminents were present - I feared I'd be claying this for a while, which is surprising for a Feb 10 car!

So, out came Dodo Born Slippy and Swissvax Paint Rubber:

P1020615.jpg

Quite a bit on there, but it came straight off!!

P1020616.jpg

(That's after just 1 door!!!!)

Next up, I assessed the paint to see what level of correction was required. It was slightly swirly, with a couple of deeper scratches, but they were so light, I was unable to pick them up with my camera. I decided to test an area with Dodo Juice Lime Prime (a great correctional paint cleanser!), to see whether or not I could correct just using this.

I started off with a Sonus SFX3 pad and Lime Prime, but this combo didn't have quite enough cut, so I changed to an SFX2 pad and was amazed at how well it corrected the paintwork. I then proceeded to machine polish the rest of the car with this combo, stepping up to Menzerna 203S and SFX1 pad for some more troublesome areas, which I then refined with Lime Prime.

The only issue I wasn't able to fully remedy was what appeared to be bird poo etching on the rear spoiler, which somebody had tried to remove with something a bit too aggressive, so I had a combination of clearcoat etching and RDS's, but being on a plastic spoiler I decided against correcting this. The owner is going to speak to Renault to see if they can sort this for him.

Wax wise I went for Swissvax Onyx today:

P1020617.jpg

This was applied to the entire car and left to cure, whilst I:

- Wiped down interior plastics with 303 Protectant
- Vacuum'd with Henry
- Interior and Exterior Glass with Swissvax Crystal
- Wheels protected with Swissvax Autobahn
- Tyres dressed with Pinnacle Onyx Gel (LOOOOVE this stuff!)
- Plastic exhaust trim hand corrected with Dodo Lime Prime
- External rubbers and plastics treated with 303

The wax was then removed, and I used Zymol Field Glaze for a final wipedown.

Some afters... it cleared MUCH better in the flesh, I need to really learn how to get the best from this indoor lighting!

P1020651.jpg

P1020646.jpg

P1020637.jpg

P1020636.jpg

P1020630.jpg

P1020632.jpg

P1020635.jpg

P1020640.jpg

P1020643.jpg

P1020645.gif

P1020657.jpg

P1020660.jpg

P1020619.jpg

P1020621.jpg

P1020624.gif

P1020629.jpg

I'm on love and now want one...

Thanks for reading :)

Russ.

Megane R26
Yeah, wheels won't be to everyone's taste, but after cleaning them, I can see why they cost £850 each!

Polished chrome and metallic black gloss. They do look stunning cleaned up properly. I'd get white with the black 18's myself.

Megane R26
They would look a lot better if it sat a little lower IMO

The interior is AWESOME for a French car!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Nice mate like it and the colour not a fan of the wheels tho.

Any interior pics??

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Real shame about the wheels. And the stuck on arches but lovely colour and car.

Megane R26
looks awesome, nice work!
Whats your opinion of Onyx? Had a tub for months and still havent used it!

It's durability isn't wonderful, but it's my favourite wax for about £50 or so, and my most used wax on details. It's a pleasure to apply and you can leave it on forever, and it still removes with absolute ease. You get Best Of Show looks for 1/3 of its price, but with poorer durability.

You need to spend £100 to get anything better (Zymol Glasur)

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
How many miles has it done? Surely a quick wash and wax would have done for a car of that age :eek: