ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de-cat question! do i leave the post cat lambda sensor out and blank the whole?

as i said in the title, sorry if this has been asked before but a quick search couldn't find anything. if i leave the post cat lambda sensor out and put a bolt where the lambda sensor should go, would that stop the management light coming on? (unless there is a fault with the sensor of course).

i was just scrolling through a thread earlier and saw this mentioned.

thanks

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, correct.

Cable tie the post cat lambda up somewhere. I normally do it above the heatshield so it stays clean.

Yep, correct.

Cable tie the post cat lambda up somewhere. I normally do it above the heatshield so it stays clean.
brilliant, thanks

there's not really alot of info about doing it so i was unsure when i saw it on a thread on here but then after a bit of thinking it sounded like a good idea.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
There's no need to tie it up , just screw the lambda sensor into your decat pipe . If the engine management light comes on it doesn't affect the cars running anyway . You can either ignore it or reset it using a cheap OBDII scanner . Mine came on after a few days of running with the decat , i reset it and it never came on again .

renault clio 1.4 16v
i put mine bak with no cat and so far... no lights, ive heard you can just unplug the sensor as well

if the sensor was left unplugged i'm pretty sure the management light would come straight on with faults for the lambda sensor being open circuit. basically i'm just wanting to keep my management light off.

i don't want to fit a mini cat when i can just put a £2 bolt into the hole and tuck the lambda sensor away.

does anyone know what temp the lambda sensor gets upto when it is using it's own heater circuit? i'm just wondering as i wouldn't mind wrapping it in a bag or something to stop corrosion as much as possible on the sensor.

thanks

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
run my k4m with a de cat with the lambda sensors still fitted and connected without the light coming on.
recently i noticed that ive ripped the connector off so the lambda is disconnected and still have no light on.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
im just about to fit a yozza sport decat to my yozza system.
i have the same problem. i dont want lights to come on.

i dont really understand how the lambda sensor works or what it does

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've told you what to do , from my own experience , others have done the same if you care to search . The engine management light doesn't always come on , sometime it does sometimes it doesn't . Even if it does , it doesn't affect how the car runs , you just have a light on , that's all . You can either live with the light on or reset it with an OBDII scanner and my from my own experience it never came back on again when i reset it . Why wrap it in a bag ?

@ J.a.m.e.s basically you have 2 lambda sensors . The pre cat sensor monitors the air/fuel mixture , the 2nd or post cat sensor tells you if the cat is working or not . Just plug it in to your yozza decat . Mines a yozza decat and it ran fine with the light on and fine when i reset it . Don't piss about with £2 bolts , mini decats or whatever ......

I've told you what to do , from my own experience , others have done the same if you care to search . The engine management light doesn't always come on , sometime it does sometimes it doesn't . Even if it does , it doesn't affect how the car runs , you just have a light on , that's all . You can either live with the light on or reset it with an OBDII scanner and my from my own experience it never came back on again when i reset it . Why wrap it in a bag ?

@ J.a.m.e.s basically you have 2 lambda sensors . The pre cat sensor monitors the air/fuel mixture , the 2nd or post cat sensor tells you if the cat is working or not . Just plug it in to your yozza decat . Mines a yozza decat and it ran fine with the light on and fine when i reset it . Don't piss about with £2 bolts , mini decats or whatever ......
i know then engine management light doesn't effect the running of the car (if the lambda sensors have picked up a cat efficiency problem) but ideally i don't want the management light on at all unless there is another fault which putting a blank in my post cat lambda sensor, as far as i understand means it should never come on. a £2 bolt in the lambda hole stopping the EML coming on is better than having to delete fault codes in my opinion.

i have a bolt now and will be fitting the de-cat tomorrow probably

i was just saying about possibly wrapping it in a bag to try and keep water and dirt out of the sensor.

thanks

renault clio 1.4 16v
the sensor will get hot so i wouldnt wrap it in a bag, just tie it up somewhere where it wont hook on anything

E46 M3, Clio 182
I have a de-cat and my Lambda sensor is plugged in, if i run the car on standard 95ron (done this twice) the EML came on. After using the V-Power for a few weeks, the light went back out, and has remained off.

I have a de-cat and my Lambda sensor is plugged in, if i run the car on standard 95ron (done this twice) the EML came on. After using the V-Power for a few weeks, the light went back out, and has remained off.

Agreed , I've ran my 182 for 2 years with a decat on , never once had the MIL on, I run it only on super unleaded , my sisters fiancée runs his 182 on normal unleaded and light keeps coming on! Conisidence maybe !

I run a decat with sensors fitted into the decat pipe and plugged in

You can plug it and tie the sensor up although it gets fairly hot so I wouldn't wrap it up! Unplugging it will put the MIL on though !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
the sensor will get hot so i wouldnt wrap it in a bag, just tie it up somewhere where it wont hook on anything

That crossed my mind too . Put the sensor in some steel tubing if you're going to tie it up .

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Does a phase 1 172 cat not fit?
I'm running one on my ph2 172 (took a little work to fit, may be more on a 182) and it's made a healthy difference and the exhaust gas flow is a lot better.