ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi @ 17

DCi 100
Been thinking about this the past couple of days. But anyone reckon it'd be better getting a DCi from the get go rather than a 1.2?

I'm not 100% if I want a replica of a 1*2, but long term it'd be more benifitial to have the diesel over the petrol if I was going to no?

Cheaper tax
More MPG
More potential (remapped DCi VS no chance in a 1.2?)

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2001&vehicleRegLetter=51

For example, if only it wasn't green...

And most importantly, has anyone got experience in insuring one from a young age?

Thanks guys

320d
I'd get the dci 100% and thats coming from a 1.2 16V owner. I had the same choice as you nearly two years ago and made the wrong one.

If I had the choice it would be dci 80 for me. It already has the intercooler that the dci 65 doesn't and has box out of the 1*2.

They're torquey b******s the dci's, deceptively nippy once rolling.

On the 1.2 side of the arguement I don't actually have one, i'd never buy a non sport model petrol car again.

DCi 100
Thanks for the info guys.

Doubt I could get the 80 mind you,

Will be one hell of a son of a b**ch to find a black decent mileaged DCi 80 in decent condition within a decent amount of miles from where I am :|

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That green one looks awesome! I might even buy it lol.

Personally (I had a dCi 80 for 2 years) I wouldn't get too hung up on the power figures, yes there is a bit of difference between a 65 and an 80 in a straight line but it'll still do 100 on the motorway and get decent mpg.

If I was buying again, I would get a 65 as they're far far far more common, thus you'll get a better price (cheaper to insure too) and if the power deficit from the 80 bothers you, just get an intercooler from a broken 80 or 100 in a scrap yard and then a remap and you'll be laughing.

DCi 100
Not too bothered about power difference between 65/80, more 1.2/DCi tbh mate. I don't need a stupidly fast car, but having a lack of power will get tiresome quickly IMO, and having the car with more potential would make it last a year or 2 longer.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dci 100 is a good motorway croozer blasts to 120 indicated pretty quickly then starts to tail off (i had 119mph indicated the other day after a long long straight)

i had a 65 and it was much more responsive around town due to smaller turbo and no intercooler, i then fitted an 80 intercooler to it and didnt loose much if any response so personally id go for a 80 rather than a 100 if your doing in town miles as i personally find the 65 and 80 (JB3 and JC5 boxes) "quicker" for gearchanges, although i prefer the clutch on the 100 it bites VERY low.

100 isnt that much quicker than the 65 imo although i did run my 172 for a few months between the 2 cars so the 100 is going to feel slow in comparison.

i found the 65 was great around town as you had hardly any turbo lag and could use that low down torque around town where the 100 has quite a bit turbo lag and seems to have pretty long gear ratios 100mph is just over 3k revs in 5th!!!

DCi 100
Whatever power you have it will never be enough. Im bored of my 1.6(8v) already :(

Spend less driving it and more perfecting it if your keeping it for awhile then :)

I guess 65 would be fine from what you said Martin, many thanks.

The diesels are quite quiet iirc yes?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
All 4 cylinder diesels sound like vans.

I had a 2.5inch bore exhaust on mine and when it was remapped it made a bit of noise. Sounded almost good actually.

I would get a K&N cone filter and bigger bore exhaust if I had another one.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dci clios are loud at idle from outside, so are all diesels. in car you would NEVER know your in a diesel to be honest, its quiet, i get a very faint whistle from the turbo when it comes on boost, with the window down it doesnt sound loud either again just a little whine from the turbo when its on boost, even past 4k revs its not loud.

100mph at 3200rpm, its silent in car, only road noise from the tyres and the usual clio air noises from the door and window seals lol

185lb/ft dCi
What everyone else said, I got my dci65 at 17 and i still have it now at 20! never regretted it. I needed mine for reliability/economy too as I know I wouldn't be getting a decent income for a while, good choice imo :)

DCi 100
Wouldn't mind spilling how much you payed to insure it in what post code risk area would you mate?

Lookly looking car, bet the 5 door confuses the hell out of some people!

185lb/ft dCi
I was named drive for the first year as the price was quite high. dad was main, that came to £600, Now on my own I pay £900, thats with the highest risk post code there is, E or F i can't remember which now but the highest one LOL

yeah had to do something for the 5 door, too many haters out there.

DCi 100
Your dad did use it yea? Not fronting or anything.. Thanks for that though :)

E or F is pritty bad mate, I'm down at a B :| May look into qoutes me thinks, compare the market etc is pointless though.

185lb/ft dCi
yeah he used it while he was looking for another car, then i took hold of it.

my postcode sucks because i live in the town centre pretty much! you should be with fine with a B.

Oil Burner
ive had a 65 and 80, the 80 is a ton better. When the 65 looses its go around 65 the 80 will still pull strong (relative term with 80hp)

mpg wise the 65 never produced the mpg figures that my 80 produces now.

Must say i love the car, On the run up to Oulton park from kent a few weekends ago i was doing 80mph on the motorway run averaging 62mpg (not exactly driving it gentle either as i was late)

There is a DCI guide somewhere on this forum so thats worth a look.

Check the gearbox, both of mine have had nasty feeling boxes.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
^ 80mph and 60mpg don't sound right mate... That said it was a peach of a car for motorway cruising, I would cruise at top speed sometimes and it would still return 30mpg. Rediculous considering anything over 80mph in my Mazda and it does around 25mpg.

There is a difference between the 65 and the 80, when you're talking such small power figures, a small difference in output can make a big difference in acceleration. And side by side the 80 does pull away from a 65 fairly easily. It was on par acceleration wise with a 1.6 16v Clio, and thus things like Civic VTRs in certain conditions (from 2nd to 4th). Awesome little car and nearly free to run.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
at 70mph in the dci100 i average 65mpg, so id think an 80 could get 60 at 80 doesnt sound too far off.

the full way back from FCS to scotland i averaged 52mpg and didnt get much under 100 the full way back!

120d M Sport
at 70mph in the dci100 i average 65mpg, so id think an 80 could get 60 at 80 doesnt sound too far off.

the full way back from FCS to scotland i averaged 52mpg and didnt get much under 100 the full way back!

Didn't see either of your motors at FCS mate?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Maybe I'm just not remembering the figures correctly, but I'm pretty sure 80mph meant 50mpg for me, and the 80 is meant to be the most economical out of them all. 60mpg was possible on a rural journey including starting and stopping. Reset during the trip and you'd see 70.

That said, mine averaged 40mpg most weeks.. Go figure ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
There isn't a 120 in the Clio.

They're all 1.5s. An 80 would be the ideal one for you fella, but a bargain 65 can easily be made to go a bit quicker, and you'll learn a bit on the way.

DCi 100
There isn't a 120 in the Clio.

They're all 1.5s. An 80 would be the ideal one for you fella, but a bargain 65 can easily be made to go a bit quicker, and you'll learn a bit on the way.

Thanks for that! Noob presence is clear :)

What makes you say that though?

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Not too slow from standard. Can bring figures up with just a remap. Not too high of an insurance group

DCi 100
So to think.. the 65 is kinda of a baby.. the 85 is abit of a todler, the 1*2's are mid teen's, megane's are early 20's athletes?

In comparison terms anyways. Just doubting I'll find a 85 especially on budget, have to fund this out my own pocket!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thanks for that! Noob presence is clear :)

What makes you say that though?

Not too slow from standard. Can bring figures up with just a remap. Not too high of an insurance group

Best gearbox, has a bit more power out of the box, better mpg, same tax and insurance, usually come with better options than the 65s (that's the only reason I'd not want a 65 is that they're mostly Expression or Authentique trims)

Dynamique comes with alloys and a 172 spoiler, auto lights, wipers and usually aircon. I sold mine a year and a bit ago for £4400 with 50k miles on a 2004 plate. I wouldn't pay more than £3000 for the same car today personally and would be looking to pay £2500 for one with a few more miles on it perhaps.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So to think.. the 65 is kinda of a baby.. the 85 is abit of a todler, the 1*2's are mid teen's, megane's are early 20's athletes?

In comparison terms anyways. Just doubting I'll find a 85 especially on budget, have to fund this out my own pocket!

My advice, get a loan off your parents if you can/need to. For the sake of what's now going to be around £3000 as I said in my post above, you'll have such cheap motoring (providing you don't need to buy a new turbo at any point!) that you'll make up the money you could've saved by buying a 1.2.

If you buy smart you'll not lose much money on it either as it's a diesel and the residuals on the dci's is pretty good!

t3 corolla 116bhp
dci is a good runabout. i got mine in 2006 and its been more-or-less trouble free ( bar the sunroof but its common)

DCi 100
My advice, get a loan off your parents if you can/need to. For the sake of what's now going to be around £3000 as I said in my post above, you'll have such cheap motoring (providing you don't need to buy a new turbo at any point!) that you'll make up the money you could've saved by buying a 1.2.

If you buy smart you'll not lose much money on it either as it's a diesel and the residuals on the dci's is pretty good!

£3000 is fine, rather pay acouple under but if it's better than most then it'd be worth it.

Sunroof is to be expected :) Been around french car sites since I was like 12 so know the usuals ;)

Don't really like the look of anything over 65/70k mileage, In the 50's will be fine.

Thanks for info guys :lolup:

Oil Burner
Maybe I'm just not remembering the figures correctly, but I'm pretty sure 80mph meant 50mpg for me, and the 80 is meant to be the most economical out of them all. 60mpg was possible on a rural journey including starting and stopping. Reset during the trip and you'd see 70.

That said, mine averaged 40mpg most weeks.. Go figure ;)

easily get 60mpg at 80, more if you drive smoothly, as a combined run i rarely drop below the 60's, currently on 62mpg on the last trip reset, which included a spirited run up to Oulton, and lots of national speed limit/b roads on the way to uni.

I dont drive my car slowly, but honestly struggle to get any less than 55mpg

DCi 100
So were looking at average 60MPG..

60 Miles / 4 Litres per gallon = 15 Miles per litre?

Even if it's a quid per litre (not sure on standing atm, about 85/90p is it?), talking about 6/7p a mile?

Tax is 67p a week..

Funkin winner here ^_^

dCi 80 tractor
I was doing 90 the other day and was averaging 55-60 so its not too bad. I thrash mine every now and again to clean it out and never see below 50mpg. If I was you id get the 80 because the 65 is pretty slow and you will get bored of it after a while. With the 80 you can remap it to around 105bhp I think and it will be pretty nippy then. Insurance wise when I was 18 mine was £800, named driver though. Take a look at the buyers guide.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Insurance wise I'm the same for fully comp on a DCi 80 Expression worth £3,000 as my current 1.2 8v.

Great! Now just need to summon up that £3,000 and I'm all set!

Shed.
I'd get the dci 100% and thats coming from a 1.2 16V owner. I had the same choice as you nearly two years ago and made the wrong one.

If I had the choice it would be dci 80 for me. It already has the intercooler that the dci 65 doesn't and has box out of the 1*2.

They're torquey b*****ds the dci's, deceptively nippy once rolling.

On the 1.2 side of the arguement I don't actually have one, i'd never buy a non sport model petrol car again.

+1 id of gone with an 80 and had a remap with a new intercooler. For what having a 1.2 is worth, having less revs and more torque is a better option. More ecconomical too, my 1.2 returns 29mpg at the moment thanks for a faulty temp sensor.