ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CTCRC pre 05 race car build #claudetheclio

Clio 172
Nice track car and great colour.

How do you rate the TRS 6 point harness as that is what I'm having fitted?

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
That's about 20mins away from me. Who we the seller?

Can't remember his name, Ian something I think.

Nice track car and great colour.

How do you rate the TRS 6 point harness as that is what I'm having fitted?

In all honesty, I use them as a 4 point because I find the crotch strap a little bit annoying! We actually sent them back to TRS and had them converted to a 5 point because the way the 6 point is designed, it digs into your legs unless you have sticks for legs.

Other than that, they're really good!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Bought some reflectagold stuff from work and covered the airbox in it last night. Used a whole 15 foot roll and I need another to finish it! What a nightmare of a job it is too

Clio 172
In all honesty, I use them as a 4 point because I find the crotch strap a little bit annoying! We actually sent them back to TRS and had them converted to a 5 point because the way the 6 point is designed, it digs into your legs unless you have sticks for legs.

Other than that, they're really good!

Cheers for the reply bud :) will have to see what there like next week at Snetterton :p

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Some race car prep underway soon as Mrs M is going racing, got a load of bits ordered -
PMS a/c delete
Another set of team dynamics wheels
flat door cards
some BTCC spec wire tow eyes (which are likely to be mandatory from next year)
Some stiffer springs

And on Monday I'm taking a trip to Wrexham to buy EVERYTHING else I need to get the car ready.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
img_5252.jpg

Extinguisher and wide angle mirror

img_5253.jpg

bonnet pins

img_5254.jpg

pull cable for battery isolator

img_5255.jpg

img_5256.jpg

Stickers (although I don't think some of them meet the regulations so might need more)

img_5258.jpg

img_5259.jpg

Dzus fasteners for the bumper top

img_5260.jpg

and a rain light

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Thanks!
Forgot to mention, the rear foglights in the light clusters are now brake lights. Be safe, be seen and all that.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
oie_717843sdd3if3c.jpg

not the most elegant solution but it works and it's solid.

oie_7171023mzpsbhl7.jpg

and this is temporary but pretty effective

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
So after the Mrs had a whole day of tuition at Bedford on Saturday, this was the state of the front pads!

image1_3.jpg

So I replaced them with the Pagid RS14s I had, until the other brake kit is ready.

Also fitted the BTCC style tow strap to the rear of the car

image2_1.jpg

These apparently are mandatory from next year, 2 on the front, 2 on the rear but I need to do some fab work to fit the other 3 so I've done a part job for now :lol:

ARDS test on Friday for Mrs M, fingers crossed!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Front towing loop done, had to cut out the plastic lower down than I would have liked and plastic weld it back in above to it didn't look as crap. Looks reasonable enough and it's nice and solid.

d12.jpg

Fitted the quick latch catches to the bumper so it can come off easily, the top is held on with dzus fasteners so it's about 10 seconds to get the bumper off now, which helps with loading onto a trailer.

d21.jpg

d31.jpg

Then I also replaced the front discs as I think they overheated at Bedford the other weekend, they were showing temperatures of about 550c when the car came into the pits so for peace of mind, I've swapped them when fitting the RS14s.

d41.jpg

Fire extinguisher is mounted but didn't get a picture of that yet, need to run the lines for the nozzles and then work out how the hell I'm going to mount the pulls on the scuttle panel...

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Tyres ordered...

Wallet hurts now.

4x Toyo R888 for wet and 4x Toyo R888R for dry on recommendation from another competitor who says the old (soon to be discontinued) pattern is miles better in the wet than the new one :(

Only just come across this car on here, looks good mate! looks like theres some weight to come out of it though ;)

Where did you mount your rear towing eye?

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Only just come across this car on here, looks good mate! looks like theres some weight to come out of it though :wink:

Where did you mount your rear towing eye?

There's a minimum weight on the regulations so there's not a lot of point in removing more.

Rear tow eye is mounted to the flat metal in the inner arch, like a chassis leg but not, obviously. Using an M12 bolt and a big spreader plate.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Got a bit too much to do to still I think, picking the tyres up tomorrow then need to replace the springs, get the geo done again and do an oil change, bleed the brakes and fit a deeper sun strip, and I'm working this weekend :(

I think Donington will be race one.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
They weren't that badly priced in fairness, just hope they're as good as they used to be a few years back last time I ran them

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Stiffer springs fitted, nightmare job, need to invest in a nut gun I think.

Also fitted some longer studs and some spacers to the front to allow for more camber.

Car is being corner weighted on Friday.

Transponder left to fit, external pulls for isolator and extinguisher still need doing.

Then it's done, other than stickers! Ready to race.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
So the corner weighting was done, collected the stickers from Cadwell today (and met a few of Anna' future competitors) and she's out at Donington tomorrow in preparation for race one next month!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Totally forgot to update this!

Did a test day at Snetterton, had a minor ABS issue at the bottom of Corum (minor as in it stopped working completely) and flatspotted two brand new R888s, major facepalm as they're so difficult to get hold of now!

Anyway, we made it to Donington, car was faultless, Anna qualified at the back of her class but only a fraction off the pace, I've put it down to inexperience, she didn't leave herself any room for a decent hot lap.

Anyway, the races - Race 1 she gained a couple of places in her class moving from 7th to 5th and staying there, holding one guy off for most of the race, 11th overall out of 32 cars.

2nd race she got an amazing start, gained a place and was on track to gain another 2 but a guy in a different class was being a little underhand (watching the footage back, he seems to have his brake lights wired up backwards) so she panicked and backed off, didn't lose any placed but didn't gain any more. The guy behind her forced an error from her so she lost 4th place at the bottom of Craner as she braked too hard, he just went round the outside! But still, she managed to keep right on the back of him and finished 5th again, 11th overall.

Good weekend all in all, no damage, no breakages, no drama. Just a few things to learn from and that's it!

We decided to miss Thruxton because it's so hard on tyres, it would have cost us a full set!

Brands was the weekend just gone but she managed to fall of her mountain bike 2 weeks ago and cut her knee up badly so couldn't drive a manual car let alone get out of one in a hurry with a cage.

So, we've had quite a break, Snetterton is the next round, fingers crossed she can manage not to injure herself before then!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
So... Snetterton

She qualified 3rd in class, had a reasonable start and then this happened...

211.jpg

212.jpg

213.jpg

Still, she finished 3rd in class so got her first trophy

All 'repaired' for race 2

214.jpg

She had a blinding start, was leading her class then misread a mechanical warning flag so came into the pits, lost the lead and ended up finishing 5th :(

Fastest lap in her class in both races though!

I wasn't there so I need to say thank you to all the people who mucked in and managed to get the car back out for race two, pretty much everyone lent a helping hand, competitors included so it's a decent championship and a great bunch of people!

Not a great weekend but the car isn't actually that bad.

So if anyone has a Racing Blue bootlid, or rear bumper available, let me know, could also do with a pair of exhaust trims.