ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed the mk1.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Really gutted as it was going SO well. Was genuinely amazing me with just how well it handled. Just kept getting quicker and quicker at Cadwell today and it really did feel like I'd managed to build myself the perfect track toy.
Sadly though on the way out of a fast sweeping bend I ran very slightly wide and touched a wet kerb so slid into the grass and with so much speed on grass that had been rained on for a couple days and was soaked through there was just no grip to do anything with to get rid of the amount of momentum.

Real shame. Altough as I was really pushing on I was in the car alone (don't like really committing when it's more than just my neck at stake so went out alone) so just a bit of whiplash and bruising for myself and obviously a dead mk1 Clio shell.

5AAC970A-440B-4C87-B2BE-1F7EE30A43D8-3936-00000606265F35DF_zps785e8121.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fcuk me, got much filler in it??

At least you're ok mate. That's all that matters.

I've got a spare door if you need one.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ouch sorry to see that dude any plans for another one?

Still got a couple of others. But must say this was the one that I really cared the most about. Been tinkering along for about 3 years to build (for my tastes) the perfect trackday car and sadly only did a few events in it.

At least it went out doing exactly what it was built to do and at least the cage did it's job etc.

will probably go back down a notch and not build anything quite so track focused again as I've been committing a bit too much time to it really and it can mess up other aspects of your life when all your spare time is in the garage.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unlucky mate. I love doing Cadwell but there is little room for error.

Yeah when the rain started I should have knocked it back a notch as I already know it's a place that commands respect and it punished me for not giving it any and still throwing the car about.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mr.Potato; said:
At least you're ok mate. That's all that matters.

yeah the car did a lot better job of looking after me today than I did of looking after her!

I've got a spare door if you need one.

Nah it's well beyond repairing but thanks for the offer.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unlucky chip :( Shane to see, was looking forward to seeing it Honda powered.

Yeah it's annoying as really did seem to have the suspension and brakes and electronics etc all perfect and ready for big power. So it's a shame it didn't get that far!

sadly no "undo" button at a racetrack though. Lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Defeatist.

No mate. Just too busy. Took me 3 years to find enough spare time to build it the first time.

I just have to accept now I'm older and got lots of other commitments I've not really got the time for big projects anymore that's all mate.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Ouch chip! Rob told me what happened :-( glad you're ok though. X

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I am going to cry.......... lots and lots SIMON!!@×! Hope ur ok

Well I always knew it would end that way eventually as the barrier is the ultimate end for any trackday toy that you really drive hard. But shame it happened today as I had finally got it exactly how I wanted it. Shame I didn't get to take you out in it tomorrow mate. It really was truely epic today. Just felt so right!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Wasn't nice to see... Glad I wasn't following you !

Very glad Lesley wasn't in it... :dapprove:

Hope one day you get it / another mk1 back on the black stuff :approve:

Enjoy tomorrow.. I think you'll ache...!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Glad you're ok! Caldwell is really not a place for a fast off, part of the thrill of the place I guess as well though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Glad you're ok! Caldwell is really not a place for a fast off, part of the thrill of the place I guess as well though.

Yeah man, without meaning to sound like some corny t**t quoting james hunt etc, Ive never felt more alive than I did just before that moment, lol.
I was really on it, and I knew that the slightest mistake and it was going to be a big shunt, and thats what makes it so exciting.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
f**king hell mate. Sad times. Is that all the damage or is it completely f**kered on the other side?

Drag it down here.

Sill is bent in mate, hasnt really come out in the picture, but that shell is beyond economic repair basically, will just pinch some of the bits from it for the turbo probably, and I guess now the RB will get a quaiffe next time it needs a box build or a clutch etc!

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Gutted for you mate. Looked good yesterday when I was behind you at Snetterton.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wasn't nice to see... Glad I wasn't following you !

Very glad Lesley wasn't in it... :dapprove:

Hope one day you get it / another mk1 back on the black stuff :approve:

Enjoy tomorrow.. I think you'll ache...!

Great meeting you properly mate, shame I never got a chance to take you out in it, but on the other hand its a good job you werent in it on my last session eh? lol

Not sure yet if I am going to pop up to croft in the RB or not, am really starting to feel the whiplash now, I think by morning im going to be pretty much immobile for a few days.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Gutted for you mate. Looked good yesterday when I was behind you at Snetterton.

Thanks mate, by the end yesterday I was really starting to connect with it (think it might have been the mrs when you were behind me as she did the early sessions and I did the late ones) and so today I was really dialled in.

Cadwell in the wet may not have been the best choice for where to really give it beans, lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Must say Ive been quite surprised by the number of people whatsapp or texting me etc offering to try and help, amazing how many people are so generous :)

So I guess today I have found out that I both have less talent and more good friends than I thought I had, ha ha.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Sill is bent in mate, hasnt really come out in the picture, but that shell is beyond economic repair basically, will just pinch some of the bits from it for the turbo probably, and I guess now the RB will get a quaiffe next time it needs a box build or a clutch etc!

What about the B18? Need to find something to put it in now?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What about the B18? Need to find something to put it in now?

Kind of tempted for the mini, but I really want to use an XE in that just because me and the XE go back a long way.

So not sure what I will do with the B18 turbo, possibly a civic I suppose, at least it keeps the driveshafts etc simple that way!