ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed the mk1.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Ouch! :(

Sorry to be a vulture but are you selling the roll centre kit, brakes or bonnet at all?

Sorry to see this Chip, it looked a nice car. The main thing is that you're OK though (apart from the bruises etc)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus Christ Chip, sorry to see that. It's a real shame considering how happy you finally were with it.

Hope the back's not too stiff in the morning.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Kind of tempted for the mini, but I really want to use an XE in that just because me and the XE go back a long way.

So not sure what I will do with the B18 turbo, possibly a civic I suppose, at least it keeps the driveshafts etc simple that way!

Perhaps you should build something to rival Mike's efforts with your old engine? ;)

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Gutting for you mate :( Looked amazing, and a shame that so soon after finishing too.

Hope you aint to sore

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What a shame :(

Gutting for you mate :( Looked amazing, and a shame that so soon after finishing too.

Hope you aint to sore

Sadly its essentially the ultimate destination for any trackday car, so not too bothered it happened, but it is a shame it happened after so few trackdays, totally 100% my own fault though of course, it was me that was choosing to really really push my luck on such a dangerous track, I guess I should have been more tentative and slowly built up each trackday etc, but TBH that would bore me, lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Jesus Christ Chip, sorry to see that. It's a real shame considering how happy you finally were with it.

Hope the back's not too stiff in the morning.

Yeah, that is the real gutting thing, not just losing a car, but losing a car that was working SO well!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like it was down to luck (or lack of) rather than talent!

Nah, I carried more speed than there was grip for, it was raining at the time of the crash and I simply failed to appreciate how much more slippery that corner was than it was on the previous lap, things can change quickly on track when it rains and I know that after so many trackdays, so I should have been more cautious, my choice to take the chance, and my fault I got it wrong, simple as that.

Few pics the mrs got, shame Id not yet got round to installing a gopro mount as that would have been a better momento as I passed everyone in my final session I met and got passed by no one so it would have gone out looking epic at least, lol.

DSC_1030_zps46c75ec5.jpg

DSC_1031_zpseb7f9290.jpg

DSC_1028_zpsb4dd6190.jpg

DSC_1027_zpsc3cfe25f.jpg

DSC_1025_zps86c550ac.jpg

DSC_1021_zpsea75e109.jpg

DSC_1020_zps1b3b5574.jpg

DSC_1019_zps660780a2.jpg

DSC_1018_zps8eb01ae5.jpg

DSC_1016_zps5881dcb6.jpg

DSC_1017_zps3648292b.jpg

DSC_1013_zps4141dc84.jpg

DSC_1010_zps1a98d372.jpg

DSC_1009_zps8047c2a3.jpg

DSC_1008_zps3775ec92.jpg

DSC_0978_zps492d39a2.jpg

DSC_0980_zps1ca54be4.jpg

DSC_1006_zps12b72862.jpg

DSC_0977_zps977d305a.jpg

DSC_0976_zpsef751b98.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
:( Really genuinely gutted for you Chip.

Even reading your OP you can feel how well and tight it was running. Such a stupid little thing aswell.

You're don't seem like the kinda guy to dwell on things too much though which is cool.

Really surprised you're not re shelling it. You could have that changed over in a weekend if there was a shell sitting. :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Even reading your OP you can feel how well and tight it was running. Such a stupid little thing aswell.

You're don't seem like the kinda guy to dwell on things too much though which is cool.

Really surprised you're not re shelling it. You could have that changed over in a weekend if there was a shell sitting. :(
I think the bigger issue would be finding a decent mk1 shell to re shell it into tbh mate.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So much knowledge on the forum, but not enough on track.

Shame to see a nice clio lost, but kinda nice to see you humbled too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So much knowledge on the forum, but not enough on track.

yes my knowledge of the way the rain had effected grip on that corner was poor mate. Well spotted.

Shame to see a nice clio lost, but kinda nice to see you humbled too.

lol. despite what a few people getting wrong end of the stick might think cause I happen to post on here about subjects I'm relatively knowledgable about so do so with a lot of conviction I'm actually very humble, I'm nearly 40 and still call my martial arts teachers sir all the time (even out of class) for example.
All about right time and place IMHO.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Thanks Gally :)

No point getting too upset. We all should do these things aware of the risk after all.
If you go fishing a lot occasionally you break a fishing rod. If you do trackdays a lot occasionally you break a car.

Ph2 172
Sad to see this, I always worry about this outcome on trackdays.

Hopefully you do pop to croft tomorrow, I'll be there to watch Andy and the DTM lads until about lunch time.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ah s**t, mate... :( I wasn't expecting that when I logged on a few minutes ago! Gutted for you mate. But, obviously, I'm glad you are relatively unscathed and live to fight another day.

Clio Trophy #343
Still gutted for you mate, really shows the benefit of the roll cage though!! so in some ways it was the best car for you to have this crash in as you were protected :)

Ahhhh man that's such s**t news to hear :(

Such a shame about the car, but at least you walked away from the crash, that's the most important thing. And as you say, luckily there was no one in there with you at the time.

I bet you'll be feeling pretty sore this morning though.

Did you notice or get a chance to check for any damage to the important parts, engine, BS hubs, ASTs etc?

Onward and upward eh.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Totaling on track is a Hero's way to total!

Maybe make a feature length film of the build up, similar to rush.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Shame about the car but good it kept you in one piece.

Does this mean you might restart that forged ph1 ? :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Shame, nice car and a stark reminder of how it can all go wrong. Glad to hear you're ok and hope you're back doing more days soon.

Well it's been almost 12 hours now since I hit the barrier.

It's been a long hard road to recovery since then. But finally I feel ready for another trackday at last.

So here we are at croft.

80D49324-C2CA-4C14-8080-6E18CAC86004-4212-000006713A50C10F_zpsa02fb4e0.jpg