ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio wont start and clicking noise...

Clio mk2
Jus wondering if any one knows wot the problem could be.
I went to pull of the drive and the car stalled.
When I went to start it again it was just making a clicking noise

Tried to jump it and had no luck also tried jump leads still no luck

Tried taking starting motor off and attaching jump leads and it worked ok.

Put back on car and had car towed and it jumped off in 2nd gear and ran okay and drove ok back to the house. Once turing off it just started clicking again.

Any other ideas or is it just thestarting motor?
Its a 1.2 51 plate clio

Any ideas would be much appreciated thanks

Black Sheep
Try giving it a really good charge. You will be surprised at how dead a battery can get. Had it happen with a 1.2 before.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
I would say battery. You only need one cell to die off. Had one previously where the voltage read correctly but couldn't provide the current load of the starter motor.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I had this problem recently and it turned out be a dead battery.

Even if you leave it running after being jump started for a while then turn it off then back on and all you get is a click but no life then would suggest its the battery.

Clio mk2
I will swap the battery over later today and let you know the outcome.

Ive had a look on google and a few people seem to have the same problem jus no outcomes of what the problem was.

Thanks for the comments

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I would say battery. You only need one cell to die off. Had one previously where the voltage read correctly but couldn't provide the current load of the starter motor.

This. Mine did exactly the same, though I managed to get a jump start to get it going. Replaced the battery within the hour (which was the original item, so 7+ years ain't too bad!) and it's been fine since.

Definitely the first thing to try, imo.

D.

Clio mk2
Ive tried another battery. No luck
Ordered a brand new starting motor and fitted it. Still noithing.
any ideas on fuses or wiring or earthing please.
1st problem in 3 years!
Running out of ideas
Thanks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Try putting a jump lead from the battery negative to the engine (NOT to the starter positive, just to the engine's metal somewhere) if it starts then, its an earthing problem.

Renault Megane
Battery seems good idea, however i'd also invest in new starter motor. Considering it started when u took it off. Having similar trouble with battery today with my Megane.

Clio mk2
Thanks chip-mk1 I will tmoz totally fed up and heads baffled. Ill post back tomorrow evening keep u updated for future reference.

Metro wlk kid weve got a new starting motor on now. Still no luck... and the car only started when we towed the car and then jumped it off in 2nd gear.
Soon as we turned car off it just would not start again and just continued clicking as trying to start car.
Tried swapping battery with another 1. Still no luck.

Going to try and tackle the earts tomorrow as well. Jus a nightmare with the weather as well :/

Clio 172 Cup 2002
Mine did this recently (thread in this section somewhere named strange earth fault or something) and the symptoms were a dodge earth connection between the gearbox and chassis (front near side under the car).

Clio mk2
Tried to earth car out with jump leads. Tried starting it... no clicking and no spark on the spark plug... petrols running through fine...

Any other ideas?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its not clicking at all check for a positive going to the solenoid when you turn the key (easier said than done to get at sadly), might be an immobiliser fault or similar if its not even trying to fire.

Clio mk2
This time it sounded like it was trying to start but withno spark...

Gna get the computer on it in the morning as most things technical are rules out...

Will attempt that in the morning when get a good look at it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So it was turning over ok when you put the jump lead on it, but not when you hadnt done?

Sorry mate but you arent being very clear in your descriptions of what is actually happening, makes trying to help a lot harder.

Clio DCI 65
I got up one day and mine didnt start..turns out the fuel pump relay was a little corroded, so cleaned the contacts up, plugged the relay back in and started first time. Not saying its that by any means as im not that experienced, but its a suggestion?

Clio mk2
The car has only started when we had it towed and jumped it off in 2nd gear...

Trying with jump leads still no luck

When we earthed the car with jump leads it then started to sound as though it was trying to start but didnt.
So tried to get a spark from the spark plugs and there wasemt no spark

Hope that helps. Jus so frustrated with the whole thing as it did start then the car stalled amd hasemt started by turinging the key since

Clio mk2
Just to let u know the outcome of the problem incase anybody comes across the same situation

It was the earth that goes down to the gear box it was completely rotton!

Thanks tho for all comments x

Clio Extreme 1.2 16v 2003
I had the same problem. Called the AA. Turned out to be resistance in the crank sensor. Or bad wiring to crank sensor. The AA guy just put his hand under the engine put his finger on the sensor and wiggled the wires and said try it now! Started straight away!

Renault clio
I had this problem and I think its one of these problems -
-Completely flat battery (10 volts or less, meaning one cell has broken). Only £20 cost.

-Solenoid in the starter motor is not working (could be because of flat battery so try the step above first, or the coil could be conducting badly) Can cost £10 for a new solenoid BUT a lot more for fitting.

-Clicking from fuse box by passenger side means the immobiliser is engaged (even if the light does not show) because of faulty electrics in the key fob. The car does not 'recognise' the key. This can be temporarily solved by simply locking and unlocking the car with the fob or hey hole a few times but inevitably a new key is needed which Renault will charge a hefty price for it.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
You realise this thread has been dead for 3 years don't you? lol

:smile: