ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Re: CLIO IV RS for 2013, Last news

So young people wont buy them because they have 5 doors?

Because there is no 3 door variant, i think this is why people will buy them, there is no alternative!

GTD, Lupo

I'm not sure there are alot of 18 year olds that can afford one, thankfully.

Maybe a better way to look at it will be in 5-7 years time. By then you will be able to pick a 197/200 up for around 3-5k and the T200 for 4-6k.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

I actually prefer 5 door cars, having 3 doors pisses me off.

An orange one

I have a strong dislike for 5 door hatches and I've made no secret about that on here in the past, reason I have a 3 door 1 series and didn't go for the 5 doors, which do have a higher GFV as well..they just look squashed and the front doors are too short

Only 5 door hatch that has ever half worked for me is the mk5 r32 and the mk6 R golfs, but even then when I had an r32 it had to be 3 door, lol

This is the first time with a new Clio, where I would rather buy the older model say a year old for around £12k and hand it to jamsport to supercharge, you,spend the same as you do on a new T200 but you have a hell of a car after it!

Edit : just want to add that if this shell were to be made in a 3 door version, with some widened front and rear arches...it would probably look the absolute business!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

I have a serious almost 'phobia' of 5 doors! Absolutely hate them... would never, ever own one. Well maybe when I have kids! '3 door' & 'sporty' just go together.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member

im not a fan of 5 doors....unless it's an evo/m5 ;)

I would rather a mk2 focus rs if i were spending around the 20k mark on a 'new' car

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

Looks s**t. LOL at the fool who buys one them for 20k or whatever they are.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

I thought the 172 was ph-ugly when they were first released...especially after the Valvers and Williams that were its predecessor (sp?). I grew to like it and bought a Cup and a 182...thought the 197 wasnt attractive when it was first released but grew to like them and am still swaying with the current 200. So I'm sure I will grow to like in the next few years.

MarkCup was a diehard mk2 man and even he loves the Mk3...says something. :)

man its painful to see this, its not a 'clio' is it. wheres the fun and va va voom in it? seriously... the MASSIVE front lights, the 4x4 appeal, 5 door only... Its like I'm going round in circles saying it.

I hope it sells really well because I love renault (and contrary to kumkums views on us) Brits love RenaultSport more than anywhere, what with us being the biggest market.

With all the talent and bits at Dieppe they could have really stood out in a market thats become so safe and boring.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Where's the Va Va Voom? No one knows until someone has driven it.

Until then, how can you say it doesn't have any? How can you say it's safe and boring? It could be the edgiest FWD hatch out there regardless of the big headlights and 5 doors.

If you don't like it visually, fine, say that, but you can't say it's lost its ability.

Why don't we all just wait and see instead of banging the same old drum?

Hello!

I am new in this forum and just registered to be able to tell my opinion about this discussion here!

I had many different cars in my life and so I was following many different forums but never have seen such a st....d (sorry!) discussion about a new coming car before most of all even have seen it in nature and none was driving it.

I understand that there can be preferences about size, engine, form, doors, colors, .... but what many here are writing is just bull.....t. In my opinion even an excuse for not having the money to buy it in near future.

Why are the headlights too big? Who makes the definition what a Clio looks like?

Years ago I had the 172hp Clio and loved it and a am still in love with them! I had to sell it because 3 doors were not enough for me!

Now, I am going to think about the new one because of the 5 doors. So you can see you different can be the view! I will have to decide between Megane GT 190 (220), Focus ST (both as Traveler) and the Clio. For sure the Clio will be less car but most fun, if the test drive will hold what I expect.

I was reading here that a 5door car can not be a sport car! Sorry, but a Clio is a quick small city runner with some possibility to have a fast run on a track or the highway, but for sure it is not a sport car. Sport cars playing in a different category, believe me.

And just for info, I think I am one of the few here who has seen the new Clio RS already in nature and for me it was looking like a great new RS with high potential for having success.

For me the point will be the gearbox, because this is a point where I am not sure how it will play in this car but this has to be tried.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Yeah, still looks pap. Looks like a boggo tce with an RS badge.

Bet the engine will be good though, as will the chassis.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah, still looks pap. Looks like a boggo tce with an RS badge.

Bet the engine will be good though, as will the chassis.

Engine isn't anything special though by the sounds of it. 200bhp out of a 1.6t is old hat now anyway so not revolutionary either. Having said that I've not really read much into the engine as it is currently in the juke so it may well be a beaut. Chassis should be a given as RS have been in it from the start.

it still looks s**t, not even seeing one in the flesh can change that ;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Yeah, suppose. Anyone know what the torque figures are?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

A lot of you seem to forget that it is impossible to make a proper hot hatch now (as we all remember the hothatch anyhow). I mean yeah they could make it, but it would not pass regulation. Safety ratings, windscreen angles, bonnet angles, deflection zones. Then emissions, engines can't quite be what they used too be. Then of course cost. The RS is not really a big money spinner in the grand scale of things is it. I have no clue but i can't imagine the percentage of clio sales belonging to the RS models being that substantial.
Honestly I bet the guys in the RS team wanted to make something more along the lines of what you guys want, I bet they would wet them selves at being able to make a sub 1000kg car with 250+ bhp @ 10k....

I bet they have done the best with what they had, apparently they were involved from the outset and had input on geometry etc. I just want to drive it, that after all to me is what an RS is all about. Lets be honest, we all drive a clio ffs, not exactly exotic is it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

So 180lb-ft ish? Look forward to seeing what tuning companies do with the lump tbh.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

So 180lb-ft ish? Look forward to seeing what tuning companies do with the lump tbh.

There is a US company claiming a stage 1 turbo upgrade for the Nissan juke which is good for 275bhp.

I guess one good thing about the clio using the nissan turbo lump is going to be the fact that this now moves the clio into the US/Japan tuning market where Turbos, forged goodies etc are a lot cheaper and more accessible.

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

I personally wouldn't modify a brand new car to that extent.

Back when Cupra K1's came out a guy stage 1 mapped his and it threw a piston, aye that'll be 7k for an engine please.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Agree Danny, hence why I'm not touching mine until it's out of warrenty. People will though.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

I agree. would be daft on a brand new car. People will do it though.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

A lot of people here are commenting on the new style gearbox the Mk4 Clio will have. Jeremy posted something quite good on the Renaultsport forum that's worth a read. Here it is for those of you who don't frequent it much:

Jeremy RUK said:
Dual clutch 'box is the future. Now there's lots of mis understanding in this thread on gearboxes. Your term of 'flappy paddles' comes, I suspect, from Clarkson's references to the robotised manual boxes that were ( and in many cases, still are) fitted to Aston Martins, Ferrari, Lamborghini and early M series BMW. Ponderous gear changes, really not nice things at all. .The reference to 'auto', in lots of people's minds, would be a torque converter automatic. Even if its operated by paddle shift, it still involves a 'slurring' between gear changes. .The dual clutch gearbox is the future, as I said. All Ferrari have them, with no manual option. Most Porsche are fitted with them (PDK in their terminology) and the 991 GT3 due next year is likely to be PDK only..Lots of clever technology involved in them. Super fast gear changes that, in the Clio, can be altered to suit your need. There are some features of the 'box that will be unique in the hot hatch segment and pretty much unique below six figure purchase prices. All to be revealed.

Lionel Richie

A lot of people here are commenting on the new style gearbox the Mk4 Clio will have. Jeremy posted something quite good on the Renaultsport forum that's worth a read. Here it is for those of you who don't frequent it much:

they've missed the point though, as a driving enthusiast i WANT to change gear with my left foot and left hand, i want to heal and toe and left foot brake, i don't care if the pdk stuff is vastly quicker! I'm lucky to get to drive all array of supercars (gallardos, ferraris, porsche, aston, murci, bentley etc etc etc) and I HATE them all due to the flappy b****cks gearchange, atoms and caterhams and the few manual ferraris and lambos we have are the only cars i drive, i point blank refuse to drive the others because they're boring!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

they've missed the point though, as a driving enthusiast i WANT to change gear with my left foot and left hand, i want to heal and toe and left foot brake, i don't care if the pdk stuff is vastly quicker! I'm lucky to get to drive all array of supercars (gallardos, ferraris, porsche, aston, murci, bentley etc etc etc) and I HATE them all due to the flappy b****cks gearchange, atoms and caterhams and the few manual ferraris and lambos we have are the only cars i drive, i point blank refuse to drive the others because they're boring!

I feel exactly the same.

Sadly though, the manual gearbox just like the high-revving NA motor we all love, is destined to become obsolete.

Isn't it?

Lionel Richie

looks like the engine tuning side of things will be easy on the new one, the deltawing ran the same engine with cira 350bhp! manual gearbox conversion anyone? LOL

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

I feel exactly the same.

Sadly though, the manual gearbox just like the high-revving NA motor we all love, is destined to become obsolete.

Isn't it?

Cause it is, why get a human to do something if a machine can do it quicker, more precisely and with less wear increasing longevity?

Lionel Richie

its a renault therefore it will break! Toyota/Subaru have got the right idea with the GT86 thing
s1_1.jpg

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1

Its an age thing. Playstation generation and all that. Chris Harris was saying the same thing, yes, the double clutch flappy paddles are quicker and make so much more sense on track keeping ones hands on the wheel and all, but it removes him from the whole mechanism and so it leaves him feeling robbed.

Honestly.. i quite like a nice flappy paddle box. I used to sell alfas and the selespeed and fiat versions were horrible. I drove a 3.2 TT DSG an it was mind blowing. Double tapping and shifting down twice with a blip between shifts faster than I could think about moving my arm, impressive.

Its all personal I guess.