ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 1.6 VVT Tuning

Renault Clio GT 1.6
New to ClioSport and looking for advice...

I recently got a 59 plate Clio GT 1.6 VVT which I love, car handles great but seems to lack power at the lower end.

I have bought a Ramair come filter and waiting to fit it ASAP. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how to remove the existing air box?

Has anyone remapped one yet with good results?

Also any other tuning advice or anything would help!!

45edd3181c29c9062f52d84cd34df7f5.jpg

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
It's a 1.6 n/a engine, it's never going to be very powerful.

I'd save your money and spend it either a) improving handling and braking b) buying a faster car.

Anything else is just throwing money away.

Renault Clio GT 1.6
The thing is, I know I'm stuck with the car for at least 2 years so wouldn't mind doing a few things. Even to improve looks!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
no point tuning it, better with the diesel for that. not a great engine the petrol.

you could have it remapped and find out what bits are different with the 128bhp engine in yours and the 133bhp engine in the twingo as they are pretty much the same but with different outputs

twingo

I'd save your money and spend it either a) improving handling and braking b) buying a faster car.

do you tell clio 1*2 boys to buy a faster car when they turbo their clios or cam them? ridiculous thing to say.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
ridiculous thing to say.

It's perfectly sensible thing to say if you think about it. The only way the OP is going to gain any significant power from that engine is going to be turbo/supercharger. Both of which are going to cost £3k+ to do and realistically going to acheive what maybe 180bhp?

The logical thing to do would be to spend the extra 3k on buying a faster car to begin with (Megane 225/230 would be my choice), but then that's just what I would do as it seems the most sensible thing to do.

Renault Clio GT 1.6
The remap would bring me up to about 143bhp which isn't too bad, I'm not looking to build a super car here, just wanting some advice!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
+15bhp from a remap on a 1.6 N/A engine? Who's said they can do that?

Renault Clio GT 1.6
7ec36bca434889a1db516f5bb3ffed13.jpg

Funnily enough it was k-tec racing!

I also emailed them to see if they offered anything else, which they don't, only the remap.
3376ab0845559fbfcee803f913fb73d1.jpg

AG 200 CUP
I put a K&N 57i in mine sounds great but the heat soak is a bi** i had to take battery out then i think the old air box just comes out think it's the same as the 197 airbox. I honestly wouldn't bother with mapping etc i thought about it with a new exhaust etc but I'm just putting the money aside to get a 200

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Just going with what they say! Glad you have said though as I don't think I'll bother! And was it fine taking the battery out? Not fitted my air filter yet so unsure. Does it reset the CD player etc? Was going to get an exhaust but like you I might just wait a while at get a 200!

AG 200 CUP
I Just have the standard Renault radio/cd player so I'm not sure about that it does reset the clock put that's so simple to change of course. Battery is easy takeout some of the plugs where a quite hard to get back on but I'm not a mechanic so if I can do it sure you can :) but i wouldn't put a cone filter on i would just stick a performance panel filter in the heat soak makes it feel even slower...

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Think I'll just get the panel filter then! You don't happen to know where to get one? Or which is the best? Thanks a lot mate!

AG 200 CUP
I think there all pretty much the same just get a well known brand pipercross k & n etc i got mine from demontweeks ebay is normally a good bet too

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
same filter as the 197/200 I had a pipercross 200 filter in my GT DCI.

lol at ktecs figures, you would be lucky to gain 20bhp on the GT DCI from a map!!

Clio RS 200 Gordini
That's what VVT is there for, economy :)! Which is why it sucks ass down low. The 200 is exactly the same down low, doesn't kick until 3k+. I can drive about between 1.5K-2K and save a lot of petrol that way. Just help the engine breath better. Put a panel filter in there and keep it clean. Get some Bridgestone Potenza's on there for grip and get stiffer springs. You can take a lot of cars in corners in these if they are setup correctly.

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Okay, thanks a lot! What panel filter and springs would you recommend? And lower it? (By how much if so!!) Seems to be quite hard to find much relating to the GT

Renault Clio GT 1.6

Forgot to ask-
What would you recommend getting to improve handling and braking?

Cheers

Okay, thanks a lot! What panel filter and springs would you recommend? And lower it? (By how much if so!!) Seems to be quite hard to find much relating to the GT

I have a GT just like you, I put a BMC panel air filter in, noticed a bit extra power and sounds a lot better, I also removed the filter silencer (guessing that's what its called) I'm looking at getting lowering springs and exhaust system.

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Aw nice, where did you get it from? And what did you do to cover the two holes for it?

I'm looking at doing all the same as you, it's hard to find stuff online though! Have you found any exhausts?

Aw nice, where did you get it from? And what did you do to cover the two holes for it?

I'm looking at doing all the same as you, it's hard to find stuff online though! Have you found any exhausts?

I got it from a guy in Luton about 2/3 months ago. I have left all the holes open for now I was thinking about gafa tape or something but never got round to it. A full exhaust system is about £350 fitted and lifetime warranty with a company called longlife. It does take ages to find anything I have been looking for a good month on and off for lowering springs but no one knows its a pain. Because Renault changed the design of the dampers or something like that in 2010 and the GT has a different set up in the first place. When I have the money ready to buy them I'm going to call around a few places.
If you're asking about the air filter, I got it off eBay about £46 I think. You need to get the Renault sport one, just search Clio gt bmc and it does come up lol.

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Might have a try without the silencer then! Been looking at an exhaust but not sure which will sound the best, it's easy enough to find a back box! Never knew about the new design, mines is a 59 plate so unsure what that comes under!

I'll have a look for the filter too!

Clio 1.2
Hi, I'm just wondering if any of yoy still have your GTs? There is a new Facebook group called 'GT Renault Sport UK' which is often active. You should join!