ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 Upgrade?

Clio 200 RS + SRB
I know this may be a little early but im very curious.....

Can the Clio 200 RS engine be upgraded?
Even if its a simple remap
Turbo fitted
Basically anything like that.

Cheers

Mike

Clio 200 RS + SRB
lol not even picked the car up yet....i was just curious for future reference....

Well luckily i have both the time and the cash.....

However no knowledge of this car :(

Ive had a Smart Roadster for 3 years, i know everything about it. Never bothered with another car till now. But im very interested.

Just curious as where to start research.....

Can any recomend any websites with details?

Only one i know is i think Racetec? or something like that.

Clio 200 RS + SRB
That was it.....Ktec.....yeah ive seen their website, they seem quite good.

I guess im just used to Mods. Ive done quite a bit to my smart roadster. Only to the engine tho...nothing cosmetic.

Just wanted to see what was out there for the clio.

500 Twinair
Plenty out there for the cliosport, but remembering that the clio 200 hasnt been out that long, so mods may be thin on the ground. Though the 200 is based on the 197, so it may be transferable.

Racing Blue 182
Smart Roadster? Aren't they only around 80bhp?

I'm pretty sure you'll find the Clio quick out-of-the-box :)

Megane R26
You will struggle to get anything more than 10BHP out of it without spending £3-4k+, assuming it's not more tunable than the 197 engine.

Clio 200 RS + SRB
The Smart Roadster is only 80bhp out the box. Mine is a Brabus version which is 101bhp out of the box. Re-tuned to 125bhp with uprated injectors and higher profile turbo. It still may be a bit slower than the clio.....achieving 0-60 in approx 8 seconds. However its still more fun than the clio. Ive never driven a car that is more fun to drive than the roadster. The clio may be close but it still comes second to the roadster.

But then again thats only my opinion.....The Roadster is a marmite car.....you either love it or hate it......quite a lot of people hate it cos its plastic and only has a 700cc engine in it......but they underestimate just how fun it is.

Clio III RS 200
You still didn't pick up your Clio and Smart is already more fun and better... Not the best start with the new car or the smartest decision to change the old one when it was better than the new car :)

Anyway, people on 197s usually changed the air intake, exhaust and then remapped the car to get some extra power, but 200 already has improved airbox and better ECU map. So, you can ask ktec for ITBs or a turbo kit :)

Clio 200 RS + SRB
lol i guess im not off to a good start.....i think my problem is that even tho i have had imense fun with the smart.....its been my only car for 3 years. Ive not known anything else.

Im hoping the clio will show me just as good times as the smart car. Mind you it is riddled with problems. Merc built so parts are expensive and go wrong alot, leaky roof, very awkward to work on, quite alot of people wont touch them for repairs. But after all that it still puts a smile on my face like im a little boy driving a go kart.

The Clio however didnt have the same feel BUT still put a huge smile on my face from the moment i saw it. Its big (huge compared to the smart) its fast and i can fit more than 2 people in it :p which is great. Wonderful interior and i bet itll be a lot better to keep than the smart.

That said Emma (my Mrs) and myself have both agreed in no way are we to sell the smart car.

Give me a few months with the Clio and im sure ill come around :)

Many thanks guys and hope i didnt offend anyone.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Have you test driven the 200 just out of interest?

I guess a Clio 200 and the Smart car are two completly different cars!

Clio sport 182
Im hoping the clio will show me just as good times as the smart car. Mind you it is riddled with problems. Merc built so parts are expensive and go wrong alot, leaky roof, very awkward to work on, quite alot of people wont touch them for repairs. But after all that it still puts a smile on my face like im a little boy driving a go kart.

lol and you think Renaults are quality cars give it a few months and it will be falling to bits ha

Clio sport 182
Oh come on, they are not that bad.

Mechanical wise the 6 years i have had mine its been spot on but interior wise its a different story constant buzzing noise from sunroof motor leaking sunroof slats in air vents fell inside vents squeaky door the list goes on but al not bore ya lol

Clio 200 RS + SRB
Oh yes the clio and Smart cars are very very different cars.

The clio is a hot hatch

The smart roadster is Sports car....plus all the sports car problems. Its Mid engined and rear wheel drive.....not good on snow!!! lol

As long as the clio doesnt leak im happy lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just remember these need to be drivin at OVER 5k to get the pace out of them ;)

Clio 172 RS2
Like a Meggy RS 250?

Let's wait and hear what Mikey thinks in a month's time... considering UK weather will be fair for the Clio.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Define quick though............ Quick in a straight line? Quick from point to point...... There is always somehing bigger better and quicker what ever you get.......

LY 200
Mikey what made you buy the 200?

You are starting on the wrong foot but imo that could be a good thing as your not expecting alot from it when in reality it should give plenty of thrills if taken and driven in the right places and that will end up being a suprise to you by the sounds of things!

Regardless of what you say i really cannot see a Smart Roadster ticking as many boxes as the 200 and i think after a while you will end up realising it is the much better car even in standard trim.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
All this talk of extra power etc.
Learn to drive at it's limits & you will soon see this is way beyond yours ;)

megane 285 sport
You still didn't pick up your Clio and Smart is already more fun and better... Not the best start with the new car or the smartest decision to change the old one when it was better than the new car :)

Anyway, people on 197s usually changed the air intake, exhaust and then remapped the car to get some extra power, but 200 already has improved airbox and better ECU map. So, you can ask ktec for ITBs or a turbo kit :)

200 airbox is the same as the 197.

Clio 200 RS + SRB
Luckily i have a very open mind....I think that given a few months ill start to come around to the clio. Lets just say i didnt wanna rag it on the test drive so im not too sure about its full potential.

I think what first drew me too the clio was quite simply nothing.....it was actually a friend who told me about the clio. So i looked at the 197 but i didnt like it that much. Then i came across the 200 and loved it. Like i said id been looking for a hot hatch for a while now.

Corsa VXR Artic = Mundane and poor to drive
Ford Fiesta Zetec S = Nice looking but if i wanted it quicker than the smart i would have to pay £1500 for the mountune kit to be fitted.
Seat Ibiza = Not too keen on it
Honda civic = Starship enterprise and twice as big!

Thats about it.....i just really liked the clio (even after i swore id never own a french car) Its a great little car. Then i took the plunge and went for a test drive. I was really impressed by it. Me and the Mrs talked for about 15mins and decided to buy it there and then.

LY 200
Firstly mate i think you are putting the Clio in a league well below what it is!

Bar the perhaps the VXR none of those cars will come anywhere near on the straights unless your talking CTR in the Civic range and i cant think of an Ibiza now in standard trim that would either!? The Fiesta, like the shape before are supposed to be utterly gutless and i cant see anything with the 'Zetec S' badge myself being anything other than warm! On a track run or on the B roads i cant think that any of them would be a patch on the 200!

Secondly i think your massivly brave to spend 14/15/16k plus on car you dont like 'that much'. lol

LY 200
I thought the VXR was supposed to be pretty blistering down the straights for a little 1.6 Turbo and kicks out a nice little noise but then it lacks in the handling department and looks like something out of a Max Power mag from 2001!?

Having said that for the fact Mikeys said he didnt give the 200 a serious punt i wonder if hes done the same with any of them!? lol

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
You will love the 200 to live with if you can handle the smart tbh.

If you want more power though its going to cost loads...

For example a 200 is roughly the same speed as an astra VXR with 240 bhp,with the astra being slightly quicker overall.If you then map the astra to 280 bhp which they easily do for around 500 notes,then you would have to spend around 6-7k on the clio to get the same result.

Get a fast car to begin with tbh,otherwise just enjoy the clio for what it is.One of the best handling cars in its class...

LY 200
For example a 200 is roughly the same speed as an astra VXR with 240 bhp,with the astra being slightly quicker overall.If you then map the astra to 280 bhp which they easily do for around 500 notes,then you would have to spend around 6-7k on the clio to get the same result

Horses for courses at the end of the day! At the same time the VX might be highly tunable its never gonna be as flexible nor as comfortbale on its feet in any situation other than a straight line!

We dont really know what mikey wants here tbh (well at least i dont lol)! If its outright speed hes probably gone for the wrong car! If its a mix of speed and agility mixed with a car thats fairly well built and spacious within the boundarys of a hot hatch hes probably gone for the right one!

The only affordable huge step up on both speed, handling and fun factor on what he had is probably something like an Elise 111R i think but then this loses all practicality.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Mate this is what I thought about the 200 but now I've got it it's brilliant! Handles amazing!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
It's not slow at all tho, will be much quicker than ur smart but don't forget they don't come alive until 5k

Clio 200 RS + SRB
I agree...in no way shape or form is the clio slow. I think even tho ive bought a car that at first i didnt like that much i still think its the right one. The only reason i didnt like it was because its a renault. However it impressed me that much that i feel in love with the car itself.

My criteria for a car was simple....holds more than 2 people, was quick and looked really good. Oh and loads of fun on the B roads.

I think ive ticked all those boxes......dont you agree?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I agree...in no way shape or form is the clio slow. I think even tho ive bought a car that at first i didnt like that much i still think its the right one. The only reason i didnt like it was because its a renault. However it impressed me that much that i feel in love with the car itself.

My criteria for a car was simple....holds more than 2 people, was quick and looked really good. Oh and loads of fun on the B roads.

I think ive ticked all those boxes......dont you agree?

thats exactly what i was looking at i test drove everything, focus rs, 500 abarth, clio 197, clio 182, astra and corsa xvr, focus st, fiesta st, alfa brera, megane 225 audi s3, audi a4 3.0tdi and i can honestly say the clio 200 was the best all rounder and for the money you cant moan at all