ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200, fast?

Clio 172, Clio 200
So I have covered around 1,500 miles in my new Clio 200 and was just wondering from anyone else who has one, do you think it is as fast as you thought?

Does anyone else get the feeling as if it almost has turbo lag!? For example when I am in second gear say around 20mph, if i then decide to floor it, it feels like i'm back in a 1.2 until it finally......finally kicks in power. I find myself dropping to first at 20mph to be able to accelerate fast.

Having just sold my 172 I know 100% that if I floored it in second at 20mph it would shoot off like a rocket....

Anyone else have any opinions on its speed/acceleration in different gear?

Nothing at the mo :(
the 200 just feel better built. no doubt your going the exactly same speed as ur 172 but cause you don't feel like your gonna die thats is why lol

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I got the same thing, mine is now on 14450 miles and it's really revs, it's awesome.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I don't mind the front bumper because I'm driving it so never see it, although I did see a rb r27 today and it is awesome

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Put it in 1st a 20MPH, i'd like to see you do that with a 1*2 box.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
200 looks better still ;)

Are 200's like the 1*2s? gutless at low RPM and don't come alive till higher RPM?

Not as bad as the 172 it's got abit more toque lower down but u still managed to hammer me on the dual carrageways you 8astard

200 should be nipper with low down grunt thanks to 20% more low down torque...supposed to do away with having to change down gears to get accelaration?!?!?

Not a 320d
Do you think renault will concentrate on the running gear n s**t like the gearbox and clutch next time round?

handling is good but its slow as s**t when changing gears.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I got the same thing, mine is now on 14450 miles and it's really revs, it's awesome.

Glad to hear it. Cars should be driven, not stored away in garages.

I've yet to drive a 200, but have been a passenger in one, just as quick as a 172/82 it just feels so much more refined IMO.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
This thread = gay.
If you want to floor it at any gear with low RMP, you don't get the point of the car. I suggest a diesel. ;)

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Do you think renault will concentrate on the running gear n s**t like the gearbox and clutch next time round?

changes gear slow? it changes gear as fast as you can, i suggest more jazz hands training rofl

GTD, Lupo
changes gear slow? it changes gear as fast as you can, i suggest more jazz hands training rofl

To be fair the clutch a gear box arnt really the best. Mine has good days and it has bad days. The other day i was about to head back to the dealers to get them to have a look but on the way down it sorted itself out.

It will be going in for them to have a look but no point if they turn around and say its fine.

As for the 200 being fast, well mine puts a big smile on my face and considering i have only been driving landrovers for the last 2-3 months it feels like a supercar ;) just a shame the lad i left it with when i went away decided to park it on the kerb (with the bumber) instead of next to it :mad:

oh well you will see it come to life with more miles on the clock.

Gorms

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 and 182 still feel as if they take a while to get going from 20mph in 2nd. The 172 was quite bad tbh, the 182 is alot better but still sluggish in comparison to the Williams at those low revs. When a car revs to 8k it's always going to be s**t in the circumstances you have explained.

R26, R27
Have a R27 and it does seem sluggish low down compared to the 172 i had, but if you race a 172 its a different story in a straight line, i really love the R27 its a good all rounder and its better than my R26, if the clio had a turbo it probably be quicker than the megane

KMB

Clio 200 Cup

If it's a 200 you're talking about you are clearly doing something wrong :nono:

LY R26
the 197/200 is a much more rev happy engine, miss that from it compared to the 1*2.

the 197/200 is also made alot better and bigger, so same pace does feel slower than that of the 1*2

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The engine will still be tight for a while until its got decent mileage . Try sticking some Slick 50 in with the oil when you service it. That will help a bit.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I think I'd kill myself if I went back to driving a stock Clio, none of them are what I would call 'fast', but they are great in the bends and well balanced. The lack of low down grunt is annoying, just be glad you're not all driving Honda's.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
The lack of low down grunt is annoying, just be glad you're not all driving Honda's.

Or even worse a Mazda RX8!! I loved mine but i would change down to 1st at 30 in that in order to accelerate.

If i was in second and put my foot down at 20 it would quite literally slow down for a few seconds before gradually gaining speed until you hit about 5k revs then off like a rocket. There was always something satisfying about seeing the needle reach the 10 mark on the rev counter and hearing a beep coz you cant tell from the sound you need to change gear.

It was a great car and i really miss it but my 172 which has replaced it has much more usable power!

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
The engine will still be tight for a while until its got decent mileage . Try sticking some Slick 50 in with the oil when you service it. That will help a bit.

Don't agree with the advice to use Slick 50, just change regularly with high quality oil - With today's high quality synthetic oils there is no need for additives ;)