ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Race Car On Throttle Bodies

We did a very quick write up in our section on this but here's a more detailed one with lots more photos etc.

Nick Jones Racing comisioned us to upgrade their X85 Clio Cup race car for competitive use in the WSSC Championship, as far as we are aware this is the first X85 in the UK to upgraded in this way.

A brief spec is:

Stage 1:
- AT Power F4R830 DTH Throttle Bodies
- EC EC1 Engine Controller
- TDF X85 PNP looms
- RaceTech or Pi Omega Dash Display

Stage 2:
- As above with CAT404 Cams
- CAT Valve Springs
- Recut valve seats
- RaceTech of Pi data logging.

Pictures of the completed car in Stage 1 as follows:

ITBon.jpg

Port throttles fitted

itbon2.jpg

Filter installed behind relieved front panel

builtup2.jpg

Another view showing packaging.

filteroncar.jpg

Front view showing filter position and clearance.

dash-1.jpg

Dash2 display installed.

ecuonbulkhead.jpg

EC1 engine controller fits in stock ECU bracket on firewall.

builtup.jpg

Complete and built up.

Video of the car on our dyno during calibration:

[youtube]rLwlI_kXf_M[/youtube]

Final figures in stage 1 circa 207bhp and 170ftlbs of torque with over 150ftlbs available from 3500RPM to 7000RPM. Nick Jones reports the car was much improved at Pembrey this weekend with and capable of keeping with competitors which had previously had much better corner exit and straight line speed.

The car is back for Stage 2 in a fortnight at which point I expect it to be making over 220bhp.

The EC1 engine controller is running all systems on the car including the original vehicle CANBus for the PDM etc.

Hope you like it!

Matt

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Awesome.

If I had the money, or any money for that matter... no one else would touch my car if I went this route.

Always a proper job.

lovely stuff Matthew

cue the CS masses,

'how much is that, can you setup a groupbuy'

'my remap gave me 203, that aint that impressif'

you know what i mean, the 'know it alls' slagging off as per. saying that no1 has yet so i just look like a tawt.

bye.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Looks good! Sadly my car weighs more than a singularity, chasing power seems pointless. Otherwise I'd be paying a visit to tdf!

Glad you like it guys. To add one more thing from the point this car came into us to the point it was on circuit swapping paint (without having a single problem over the whole race weekend) was 10 days. That includes designing and producing the looms, doing the CAN data export to run the PDM etc. fitting the throttle bodies, fitting and configuring the dash display and a few misc fabrication bits.

We'd have had it done in a week if the Autosport connectors hadn't have been on back order ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Will the air intake/bodies be affected by the panel Icarus?

alien green rs133
Glad you like it guys. To add one more thing from the point this car came into us to the point it was on circuit swapping paint (without having a single problem over the whole race weekend) was 10 days. That includes designing and producing the looms, doing the CAN data export to run the PDM etc. fitting the throttle bodies, fitting and configuring the dash display and a few misc fabrication bits.

We'd have had it done in a week if the Autosport connectors hadn't have been on back order ;)

this to a lot of people wont mean that much.

but i highly applaud Matt for his work, and absolutely will not take my car anywhere else, "THE" guy i trust with my car.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Impressive figures too, will that be the first 197 to be 220bhp without forced induction? I know there is one abroad called 'the red baron' that is rather quick

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Looks really good matt! im sure it must have had a higher budget that what i have ;)

Nissan Skyline
Impressive figures too, will that be the first 197 to be 220bhp without forced induction? I know there is one abroad called 'the red baron' that is rather quick

There are plenty of 197 rally cars in europe running around 240-250bhp (obviously with more engine work). There are lots of cars out there that never make it onto the t'internet, especially race/rally cars.

Congrats Matt. Glad you got it all together in the end. Looks like a proper job, as they say. I look forward to the updates.

John.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wow that looks pretty tight in there. Looks fantastic though.

If i get a 197 i'll come to you to get it ITB'd :)

Nissan Skyline
It's been rumoured there are some small orange fellas that come out in the small hours of the morning who can fit a set of throttle bodies in just an hour... (bit of an in joke so won't make sense to most!)

172 Cup
It's been rumoured there are some small orange fellas that come out in the small hours of the morning who can fit a set of throttle bodies in just an hour... (bit of an in joke so won't make sense to most!)

Are you implying that matt is willy wonka?? :rasp:

I mean i was impressed at TDF's set up but i did miss the chocolate river, i would of been all over that lol

R26
crazycupracer... are you from huntingdon area? i always see a 172 cup and a yellow leon driving together, dont suppose thats you is it? lol

Pres - we don't offer mechanical services such as servicing, exhaust fit etc. etc. but we're happy to take on projects such as this X85 and fit our ITB kits etc. where the work goes hand in hand with our electronics work. Both Greg and I have worked as race engineers so twirling spanners to fit ITBs etc. is no problem.

Chocolate river is going in next week once we get the new wiring department finished ;)

John that was a hell of a long hour you spent on yours ;)

172 Race Car
Nice work. Looks more 'normal' than the up and over setup ive seen on 197's before.

stickers on the ecu cases now then?

Nice work. Looks more 'normal' than the up and over setup ive seen on 197's before.

stickers on the ecu cases now then?

We didn't find any need to go for longer trumpets than we could package in, yes more torque would be available with longer inlet tracts but these work well and support power outputs upto 245bhp without trouble. Gains on the 830 engine will naturaly be lower than those on the 730 as it has a much better inlet manifold setup to begin with. Torque gains from the increased port velocities were very pleasing though.

Laser etched actualy not stickers ;) If you're really well behaved I'll show you our new carbon fibre cased ones next time you're down :D

Evo
TDF i know its difficult to give vauge quotes but what sort of money would it cost an owner to drive in, have the throttle body kit fitted and setup and drive away reliably.

Is this something that would ever be an option offered to road users or strictly just one off big bucks race packages?

If so how would it be integrated with the OEM dash and other controls of the vehicle ( ECU, ESP, ABS, TCS etc. )

Clio 200
Hi guys, I know this is a mega old thread but does anyone recall if TDF ever did stage 2 with this and what power it made?
I found this video of the car making 240bhp - however I don't know if that was using the catcam 404's etc as detailed in the first post?

I know I could contact TDF but I'd just be time wasting for now and so I prefer not to waste peoples time if pos.

Cheers

Hi guys, I know this is a mega old thread but does anyone recall if TDF ever did stage 2 with this and what power it made?
I found this video of the car making 240bhp - however I don't know if that was using the catcam 404's etc as detailed in the first post?

I know I could contact TDF but I'd just be time wasting for now and so I prefer not to waste peoples time if pos.

Cheers

Those are TDF's rollers! So it could well be that they completed it.

Clio 200
haha fair enough, I'll drop them a mail first. Just at the planning stage right now, amassing info on tract lengths and tapers, injector and butterfly postioning etc, so it'll probably be winter before and if I start an ITB project. However if there was a proven kit making 240bhp and a half decent shape to the curve it would make life easier.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
haha fair enough, I'll drop them a mail first. Just at the planning stage right now, amassing info on tract lengths and tapers, injector and butterfly postioning etc, so it'll probably be winter before and if I start an ITB project. However if there was a proven kit making 240bhp and a half decent shape to the curve it would make life easier.
Don't waste your time or money with TDF mate. Do your research first. Trust me, you'll regret it otherwise.

Clio 200
Well that's the thing I wasn't planning on spending any money with them hence I didn't especially want to phone or even email really. I just want to know if this same car using 404's went on to make the 240bhp in the video, or if it got further developed to make 240?

In hindsight I wish I went for 404's, but I'd take 230bhp on 403's and ITB's with a decent torque curve. I need to run a standalone anyway because the stock ECU is just too much at odd's with itself under lambda.

Currently I'm thinking Jenvey SF taper bodies (51mm inlet, 48mm butterfly), mated to 51x90mm taper trumpets maintaing the 4.5deg taper with body. - That'll effectivley extend the airhorn length past the spindle to the manifold face. Manifold would be mandrel bent to shape, it'll be fairly short due to space and so the injector and butterfly will probably be closer than ideal, but the overal tract length with taper should be about as good as I can get in the space.
All a compromise when you have got feck all room. I mean the option is a long manifold to get the injector and butterfly in a better position, but then I'd have to run the slim 30mm deep non-taper ITB's and v.short airhorns..... I think the first option is probably the better compromise. Also first option is easier for filter packing - it means I can use the stepped grp backplate and 65mm deep filter (giving 115mm interior room for 90mm trumpets - ideal and what I ran on my 106).

Shame you don't like ITB's mate :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well that's the thing I wasn't planning on spending any money with them hence I didn't especially want to phone or even email really. I just want to know if this same car using 404's went on to make the 240bhp in the video, or if it got further developed to make 240?

In hindsight I wish I went for 404's, but I'd take 230bhp on 403's and ITB's with a decent torque curve. I need to run a standalone anyway because the stock ECU is just too much at odd's with itself under lambda.

Currently I'm thinking Jenvey SF taper bodies (51mm inlet, 48mm butterfly), mated to 51x90mm taper trumpets maintaing the 4.5deg taper with body. - That'll effectivley extend the airhorn length past the spindle to the manifold face. Manifold would be mandrel bent to shape, it'll be fairly short due to space and so the injector and butterfly will probably be closer than ideal, but the overal tract length with taper should be about as good as I can get in the space.
All a compromise when you have got feck all room. I mean the option is a long manifold to get the injector and butterfly in a better position, but then I'd have to run the slim 30mm deep non-taper ITB's and v.short airhorns..... I think the first option is probably the better compromise. Also first option is easier for filter packing - it means I can use the stepped grp backplate and 65mm deep filter (giving 115mm interior room for 90mm trumpets - ideal and what I ran on my 106).

Shame you don't like ITB's mate :smile:
I'll have another update in a minute which shows the reason why I don't like ITB's. Lol!
If there was a decent base manifold available I'd possibly consider them, but I'm not interested one bit in fabricating one. Shame Jenvey don't do them really.