ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.5 DCi

Hey there

Does any one own a clio 1.5 DCi or has anyone had the oppertunity to drive it? if so could you please give a brief description in your opinion relating to performance and driver pleasure i.e noisy, problematic, smokey etc. I ask as i was looking at a 1.4 16v but am thinking about a diesel aswell and just wanted some feed back first

thanks

Clio 182
They're great. Not too noisy, not at all smokey and reliable as long as you keep them serviced. The Dci80 is on par with the 1.4 16v but there's far more torque which is fun.

Although quite rare, if you ever find a dCi 100 Dynamique you will not be disappointed. As said the dCi 80 is on par with the 1.4 16v
The wee dCi 65 is still good and reliable but can be a bit wheezy imo
If its a mk3 it will be 68 86 and 106 respectively :)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
mrs has a dci 65, done 113k, its a good car i quite like driving it tbh, feels alot quicker than a 1.2 16v. Its returning 64.3 mpg over the last 400 miles which is fab. Best bit is in april tax drops a fiver to £30 a year.

Be warned when they go wrong they go wrong big time, injectors are like £150 each coded, turbos are ££££ egr valves play up etc.

Writen off dci 100
Hi

I traded my 172(190)cup in for a dci100 dynamique. It felt so slow when driving it and for months i hated but i was using a GSXR 600 too so that didnt help. Now iv got rid of the bike it feels quite nippy and torqy. I struggle to get it under 40 mpg but i drive like a loon tbh. When me gran or me girlfriend drive it they get between 55 and 60 mpg. As for the handling... well just put it this way, it doesn't. Its also gone a year nearly without a service (which im not proud of but hey) and its still running as smooth and as quiet as when i got it.

Overall i think its a brilliant little car with the added bonus of 35 pound/year tax and cheap insurance.

In my not so professional opinion id go for the dci100 if you can find/afford one if not i would go for an 80 but not a 65 :dapprove: it also depends on what your driving now. Although iv never driven a 1.4 16v clio i try and stay away from small engined N/A petrol cars. just a personal thing.

Hope this helps

Josie

Last edited:
  1.5dci
I love my 1.5 80, when i went to the garage i got it from they had the 65 and my 80, gave both a test drive 80 first, then 65 and the 65 was terrible in comparison, i think i'd been fine if i hadn't tried the 80 first, had no go in comparison and felt physically restricted, going up to 60mph and there was a point the power just stopped. Although has really made me want to try a 100 :)

Mine was perfectly quite and a dream to drive when i got it... then a wheel bearing went, got it replaced and back to a dream, not the front shock is leaking, just waiting to get that sorted as i can't wait to get it back as it was!
Being a student still running costs are great getting 59mpg and i'm not particularly light footed, not over the speed limits, but fast off the mark and fast cornering are my favourite (it also sticks to the road better than my mk3 fiesta did!)
It's a Billabong Dynamique and feature wise it's everything i could wish for except cruse-control and AC, but these were both on the 65, and gave them up for the 80. Did find out at the weekend out of the two tyre sizes it could take mines the most expensive 185's being around twice the price of the 165's, but they are nicer!

My little brother got newer Astra a few months before I got mine, and loves being smug at how much better he thinks his is! 1.7 100hp diesel with the sri trim but shuts up quickly when i remind him about my mpg, tax and the little on board computer (this really annoys him) and the £2500 extra he paid!

Sorry long post, but test drive one if u can, it's amazing, although i can't say anything for the long term running as even though it's 6 years old i've only had mine 6 months

wow thanks alot ladies and gents, seems like all posotive feed back ... except for the fact that parts could be expensive if something really major were to conk out i.e turbo for example .... ill definately look deeper into getting a diesel now, just wasnt sure if its really as good as ive heard ... as a stereotype i associate a diesel with noisy, clumsy and a fairly rough ride ... but thanks for the input, really appreciate it :)

oh and one more thing, what you guys mean about the 65, 80, 100 ? the output, because over here for example we have em written as 1.5, 1.5DCi 1.9DCi

Last edited:
  185lb/ft dCi
the 1.5dci has a range of different power outputs, there are 65bhp, 80bhp and 100bhp variants.

1.9dci is then a different engine and has its own range of power outputs.

Clio 182
wow thanks alot ladies and gents, seems like all posotive feed back ... except for the fact that parts could be expensive if something really major were to conk out i.e turbo for example .... ill definately look deeper into getting a diesel now, just wasnt sure if its really as good as ive heard ... as a stereotype i associate a diesel with noisy, clumsy and a fairly rough ride ... but thanks for the input, really appreciate it :)

oh and one more thing, what you guys mean about the 65, 80, 100 ? the output, because over here for example we have em written as 1.5, 1.5DCi 1.9DCi

They're the quietest diesels I've heard to be fair and they're only noisy when travelling at slow speeds. At motorway cruising speeds you can't hear the engine, because of the low revs.

With regards to expensive repairs, just make sure it's got a full service history and keep it like that, maybe use some fuel additive, like millers diesel power sport 4, to keep the injectors clean.

another thing, does anyone know if its possible to buy lowering kits or just lowering springs for the diesel clio's? or does the fact that its a diesel not have an influence on that?

thanks

320d
Lowering springs fit the same on all MK2 PH2 Clio's apart from the 1.2 16V's. The 2.0's, 1.6's , 1.4's and DCi's will all take the same lowering spings.

My only issue with the DCi's is that when they break it can be hard to find out what the problem is and then expensive to fix it.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I love mine its on 115k now. In 2 years I've replaced EGR valve, all four injectors, clutch, all wheel bearings(only 2 needed doing) fuel sender unit. Mines been remapped and is excellent. Fatser than things like zs fiestas and vtr especially once rolling. I've driven a few 172s and the handling doesn't seem much different at all. I have eibachs,solid top mounts on mine and its big improvement. If it goes wrong it can be expensive but its the same with any common rail diesel.

clio 182 sport
I had a DCi 100 and was a good car.... It had all the extras of a 172 but obviously not the power. All i can say for a car that cost £35 a year to tax and was about as quick as a 1.6 injection petrol it wasnt a bad car.... you not gonna be keeping up with the Clio Sport and thats why i sold mine and bought a 182 FF. I averaged about 55 to 60 mpg and about 65mpg on a run.
Also the EGR Exhaust Valve light was on for the entire time i owned the car... this was 2 years and only replaed front pads. So no complaints.

172 Ph1
I just bought the missus one a Dci Dynamique 80 , 96K and gettin 67mpg on a run, wot attracted me was the £35 a year tax, glad to see it going to £30 in april an extra gallon of fuel thankyou very much.

The problems i have had so far are rear bearing noise and a sunroof leak all which i knew about when i bought it hence i knocked him on the price.
So it was in the garage and striped down and i completely stripped it out ready for a
complete clean.
It took a while and here it is
P1000766.jpg

P1000770.jpg

P1000767.jpg

Runs as sweet as a nut, she is looking forward to driving it, ide better hurry up and put it on the road, she is chewing my ears off lol

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I bought a DCi 80 two months ago after owning a 1.4 Si clio. The 1.4 was drinking fuel like it was a competition and a really couldn't afford it in the long run.

Went for the diesel and think I have made the right decision, getting used all the lag compared to the petrol took about 2 weeks but its fantastic now!

About the tax, im not sure why other people are saying it will be £30 after April as according to Parkers tax guide, the DCi 80 (Dynamique 3dr A/C) will be £20!!
Renault Clio (01 on)
1.5 dCi Dynamique (80bhp) 3d (AC)
Rates effective from 1 May 2009

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)
2 Dec 2002 – 30 Sep 2005 - £35.00 B 110
Rates effective from April 2010

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)
2 Dec 2002 – 30 Sep 2005 - £20.00 B 110

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=24542#manu=8219&model=742&deriv=24542

I have driven 584 miles in the past 7 days and the fuel gauge is still reading 122 miles remaining. For a £48 tank of fuel, I can't argue with that!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i have a dci 100 and a 172, the 172 is very tiring to use every day compaired to the dci with its light clutch, light accelerator, unlimited torque i only really use 3rd, 4th and 5th gear in the dci lol ocassionally 2nd when pulling away from a standstill its very easy to drive, drive it like a loon you get 50mpg, drive it sensible you get 65mpg.

Megane 225
I had a DCI 100! Best diesel car I've owned! So much fun! I had mine tuned and she went very well. And they return around 50mpg!

i have a dci 65, bloody great, to go from spending something like 30-40 a week on fuel to spending 10 was excellent! sadly its up for sale now! checkt he for sale section 51 reg £1200.