ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v 52plate not firing

2002 172 Sport
Hi All
Need help ASAP.
Have had the motor replaced in a 52plate 1.2 16v.
Once it was replaced it fired up all be it a little bit ropey but god know how long this motor had been sat around for and the company it came from had jet washed it so it was full of water on the top end which had to be sorted first.
Now it is not even firing at all, it is turning over and auto stops trying after so many turns. There does not appear to be any sign of it attempting to fire. It was runng for a while previous and was ticking over nicel but when it went over 3k revs it would go into safe mode and hold back and not rev past 1.5k so this motor has run a few times while atempting to solve the other issue.
Reading around there is alot of mention about the TDC sensor being a common prob so bought a new one nad replaced it and this has not solved anything also.
There is a buzzing noise coming from one of the relays ( one of the black 3 that sit next to each other in the box towards the front of the compartment ) and when swapping them around to determin if it was a faulty realy so that could then be replaced it just appeared not to be the relay but the actuall first relay position the one closest to the motor that was at fault, so any relay i put in this position was doing the buzz noise. I have no idea why this is the case an insight on this would also be good and is this anything to do with the not firing fault also ?

There are no faults showing on a Diag reader so i dont get any indication from that.

Any help would be great as i need this car running within the next 2 weeks

All the best
shane

2002 172 Sport
Right then
It has now started and ticks over BUT as soon as it goes to 4k rev there are 2 lights that come on in the middle of the display one looks like a window and the other has a heart beat montior looking symbol.
Ass soon as that comes on the revs die back and then it is in safe mode again and will not rev.

ANY IDEAS ?

Thanks
Shane

Is it this light lit up? , if so id check the wiring to coilpack then the pencils that go to the sparkplugs, blasting a Clio engine off is never the best thing to do as can cause misfiring and coilpack issuses.

2002 172 Sport
Is it this light lit up? , if so id check the wiring to coilpack then the pencils that go to the sparkplugs, blasting a Clio engine off is never the best thing to do as can cause misfiring and coilpack issuses.

Hi there
thanks for the reply
Yes that is the lights that come on once you get to 4k revs and then it dies.
I know when the guys dropped the replacement motor to me i said what did you fill it with water for that is like the worse thing you can do and the guy said we covered the intake with a bag but when i tilted the lump it was running out. So all i could do was blast it with an air line untill i got as much out as pos.

Cheers
Shane

2002 172 Sport
yeah there is a bit of missing going on when it was running. Its now reverted the the relay buzzing and you can here the fuel pump cutting in and out.
It mad as i would never get a french motor wet :)

Definatley sounds water related, clean the coilpack leads spray something that will dry the top of the plugs out eg wd40 if youve not already does so and if you can get it running again leave it at idle for a bit or if you can drive it up and down your street without it going above 3k revs to try and get the moisture out mate. Thats all I can think of at the min unless anyone else comes along with other ideas

2002 172 Sport
yeah. the motor was washed out of the car there was no leads attached i bought the motor from birmingham and when they dropped it off it was dripping with water.
I will get it running again and try that i stil have the gear linkage to align that appears to be a pain also.

Cheers
Shane